Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

The Hargeisa of 1991

Remembering the 20th Anniversary of when Siad Barre was ousted from Mogadishu it brings back old (not so old) memories of what he and his government did to their supposedly own people and towns.

Going around Hargeisa in 2011 is so much different from that of 1991 when we just came back from the refugee camps after 3 years of hardship, hunger, disease and without shelter.

That is what makes history of the people and lands. Those pictures and many others will always be available to the generations to come so that they know where they came from and what has happened to the land they're living.

This has nothing to do with politics but brings back the reality at the time and how the society managed to build their country from scratch without relaying on external assistance.

It is a lesson for every society that whatever the situation is there is still a hope to end the disaster and build a better future for their people. Leaders must take note and think of leaving good names for the coming generations.

I still remember going around those empty streets and destroyed buildings at that time wondering if there will be any hope of bringing Hargeisa back to its glory times. I'm glad I now see even a better one and many more to come.

Juxa   

how are you going to EVER move forward and build a nation if all you want to do is dig up sad past. Dadka waxay ubaahan yihiin to heal so certain chapter must be closed.

Juxa   

I said close a chapter. Reer waqooyi historigooda is not based on that horrific event. it is a merely a chapter albeit sad one.

time to concentrate on more positive, rewarding and useful part of your taariikh no?

yaa che (meesha ka seexo) JB hada uunbuu canjeelo iyo muus isku soo qaatey

I'll let Che enjoy the "beautiful" pictures .......... waar ku raaxayso. :D

Juxa, The more positive one is the one happening right now and it will continue. This is for the record and will be in the history books now and forever.

I'm sure what is happening in Xamar right now will also be written in the history books. It is the same everywhere.