Sign in to follow this  
UWSLF

There was no Somalia?

UWSLF   

I'm not talking about after colonization, but before it there was no SOmalia, I've read articles/books and there was no Somalia, there was Aajuuraan, Adal, Iftaat etc. separe Emirates but never a united Somalia. So where does the idea come from that we're supposed to be one country?

nuune   

Buugaagta aad akhrisatey kuma barayaan taariikhda Soomaaliya, ee asxaan inoo samee, intaad galaas biyo ah ku soo shubato, 500g oo cusbo ahna ku dar kadib cab si aad u soo miyyirsato, markaas ka dib ayaan wada hadleenaa, intaa ka hor waxaad tahay xuubka-maska ka tifma markuu waayeeloobo.

Kulmiye   

"Waxa la yidhi nin ciidan baahi hayso ciid (sand) makala saaro", at one time or another the horn of Africa have seen the Egyptions, it has seen the Turkish empire , the British, the Italian, the polish, all trying to get a grip of that sea shore- S>O>M>A>L>I>A =SOMALI UNITY is the reason why they couldnt stand long enough. now that we have no colonial issue- we have a conflict of tribalism.... even more so- AS LONG as ( reer wuqooyi) are full of resentment and being "victims" of Siyad bare Somalia will be divide into mini-states.

The Zack   

Attention seeking will sometimes get you to some crazy points. Mr.UWSLF, u probably read the Ethiopian conistitution, that will be the only book that would tell u something that crazy.

P.s. How cool was to surrender to the Wayane?

Kamaavi   

Jacaylbaro;686716 wrote:
Someone is waking up to the reality now ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, good
:D

The poster is cowke, he came up with Itihadi nick since the other script qodax & qarax has not been effective. To wake up, he has to sleep yet. :D

Zack ..llol

OMG:rolleyes: Did you really just ask that? My sophmore high school students who were born in America can do better than you? I think I should send you their Project History paper on Somalia. Waxaa matag iga keena people who refuse to acknowledge history of a whole ******* country even when that history is slapping them on the face. If you are not for unity of Somalia, then say so. Why beat around the bushes?

JB,

I know you are a Somali champ, but really? A reality? Sounding ignorant and encouraging ignorant people in their quest to denial was never your cup of tea, why start now?

Blessed   

UWSLF;686665 wrote:
I'm not talking about after colonization, but before it there was no SOmalia, I've read articles/books and there was no Somalia, there was Aajuuraan, Adal, Iftaat etc. separe Emirates but never a united Somalia. So where does the idea come from that we're supposed to be one country?

The idea (Republic of Somalia) came from the Somali people.

nuune   

^^^ Nicely put yaa Xaajiyo, kan dhakada ibriiqa leh qumaati cashar uu cunaha la dillaaco oogu jiid loox, anu isfiilato ayaa igu kacdo markaan arko dadkan oo kale, neerfooso ayey nagu ridayaan salla calaa nabi

i think the poster is correct in stating that the idea of a Somali state was almost nonexistent prior to the onset of colonialism. So like it or lump it, the OP is correct.

Chimera   

There was no Indonesia, there was no Ethiopia, there was no India, there was no Malaysia, there was no Sudan, there was no Greece, there was no Algeria, there was no Nigeria, there was no Pakistan, there was no Eritrea, there was no Kenya, there was no Zimbabwe, there was no Philippines, there was no Israel, there was no Iraq, there was no Belgium, there was no Germany, there was no Ukraine, there was no Libya, there was no Kazakhstan, there was no Bahrain, there was no Qatar, there was no Senegal, do you want me to continue this little dance?

Somalis had states larger than modern Somalia at specific times, the majority of the countries I mentioned above never did. Another important point is the concept of nationhood amongst Somalis traditionally being different from that of the Europeans. Somalis have always viewed their own lands as a Civilizational Matrix that was theirs:

They passionately disdain central authority. Yet they view themselves a community of people who belong together, have a common heritage and a common destiny for the future. So prominent a feature is this sense of community in Somali society that it prompted one scholar to insist that the Somalis 'had been for centuries one nation, professing one religion, speaking one language and pursuing a single pattern of pastoral nomadic culture when the Europeans arrived and carved them up. - Partitioned Africans pg 161

The idea of a unified Somali country is a Somali project through and through, which was supported by Somali politicians, armies and civilians since the Dervish period all the way to independence and beyond. This is plain history and something nobody can take away from us. If you think history is your friend in your bid to discredit the idea of Somalia, then you are mistaken, there was never a Kenya or Ethiopia in control of NFD and SomaliGalbeed in the days of our ancestors. Surely if you lobby for a return to a pre-"Scramble for Africa" Somali World aren't your efforts better served campaigning against the imperial crimes of the past that saw the ceding of Somali lands to neighbouring states, countries that never existed in their current shape or form?

Spare me the propaganda!

Somalis evolved from a state of statelessness to statehood, and back to statelessness again. there has never been a history of a Somali state in the minds of ordinary Somalis before the colonial period. This is a historical fact folks. What have to gain from making this stuff up? Am i not Somali.