Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

Did you worry about your school's ranking?

Let me get back to school talk. I am bored tonight.

When I was in high school back in Toronto studying Grade 13 (OAC) I didn't want to settle for anything less than studying at the most prestegious top university in Canada: Univesity of Toronto, a school many call the Harvard/Yale of Canada even though folks at the U.Of T like to say it is the other way around.

Now that I think about it, it really doesn't matter what school you went to specially if you move out of your country as long as you get a nice job and know your stuff inside out (As long as you can kick these not-so-bright American graduates' asses :D , These folks don't pose a challenge for Canadians when it comes to solid education) :D:D:D aaah, I feel good.

Now the question is ... Did you worry about school's ranking when you were in the process of applying for uni/college or was solid education just enough for you?

Sophist   

It would be silly of me not to admit my phobia of going to run of the mill Univ in England. Come to think of it now that I have tasted the Oxbridge How to get into Oxbridge) education; I trust my thirst for this sort of education was indeed worthwile.

I say always aim for HIGH; maximise your potential and you shall reach the sky--metaphorically speaking of course; centuries ago somalis had done that to get hold of the Sky Camel.

Sophist

Nabad

I did. Its something every high achieving individuals aspires to achieve. I'm in a university that is relatively good for my field, yet it really makes zero difference. At the end of the day, it all comes down to personal motivation and hard work - since you end up doing 80% of the work on your own anyway.

P.S ehem...n I dont do ma part very well...thanks to u LSK AND SOL. ;)

Warmoog   

To say that I didn't worry about my future school's ranking would be a complete lie. Looking back on it now, I think my anxieties were heightened even further because I was living in a small town with one college and one university... and, at times, the college was considered better than the university.

I must admit, however, making the choice between the local university and the more prestigious one (several towns away) was definitely not easy. It meant having to leave my family and many of my closest friends. All things considered, I honestly don't regret my choice. I've never been one to take the easy route, but (masha'allah) I'm thankful for being accepted into my most preferred school.

salam

when it comes to united state and also when it comes to my own opinion i think different one thing i know for sure is when i go to a school all i think of is when will i get my degree or when will i get out of here but toward the other student they do think of rank i mean in here if you dont do good in university they kick you out and 2nd if you are getting finicial aid they wount pay if they see you not doing ya best so i belive when you are going to a school just think of when you will get out of there and when will i improve better if iam not doing the best but also my school is best one so far and here you can check it out. www.d.umn.edu thank all.

Haneefah   

I have to admit, I did, big time. I guess it's due my competitive nature when it comes to education. Who wouldn't want to get top education if they have the opportunity? Luckily, for me, one of the most prominent schools in Canada (University of Waterloo) was no longer than 5 min drive from my house. It ranked #1 for many of its faculties and even overall for many years...So I didn't have to look any farther...I had my mind set on it which meant working my butt off for my OAC's (which no longer exists in Ontario...sooo not fair :( )

The studies were challenging of course...but worth while alhamdulilah, I'm glad I chose this school. Even if my future boss won't give a damn about it, it still means a lot to me. But for those of us who want to continue, maybe into professional schools or grad schools...I'm sure the admission committees will consider this... at least it's not a total waste of energy, lol...some hope pls.

Originally posted by Libaax-Sankataabte:

These folks don't pose a challenge for Canadians when it comes to solid education

Ma ila aragtay...OMG, these ppl have it easy wallah, even their so called "demanding programs" can't measure up to ours...two thumbs up for the Canadian education system :D

Mowgli   

Salaama Alaikum

I think everyone worries about their university?s ranking at one point or another. But I must say for me, it wasn't the number one reason...I don't know why but when I was first applying to uni, I just wanted to get as far away as possible from London, my choices included Edinburgh, Anglia, Manchester, Leeds and University College London (the only school I applied to in London to please hooyo, even though i told her I would go outside of the city).

My first choice uni was Manchester, but it was nearly a five-hour drive from my house. I loved everything about it, lots of different ppl, the libraries were beautiful, they had huge labs and a few museums all in the campus, hooyo liked it, but being the youngest child I could tell she wasn't too happy about me leaving, even though she was going to let me move out...lol Edinburgh my second choice...it was beautiful too, but a plane ride away (went to stay with a cousin who goes there).

I got accepted into all the unis I applied to; but as September drew closer I realised that I couldn't move that far away from London (lol am still ciyaal mamo), so in August, I got into clearing alhumdullilah, but I had left it too late so I couldn't get into UCL so I had to settle for the closest uni to London. its not so bad, 2 and a half hours train ride from home (1.5hrs drive). Its not as "prestigious" as my other choices were, but am happy alhumdullilah, am getting top grades (alhumdullilah), I've learnt that if you put the work in, you get results, no matter where you go. My friends that went to such universities as School of African and Oriental Studies (SOAS) and the London School of Economics (LSE) aren't very happy with the way things were going and one girl changed from SOAS to another less "prestigious" university, not because she couldn't get the grades (MashaAllah she is an intelligent sister), but because it simply wasn't right for her. Going to the most prestigious university may mean you might get a better education then others, but it doesn't necessarily guarantee you the best environment for studying...and I can assure you, being away from home, I've learnt that it's very important to feel comfortable in your surroundings, but most importantly it's what you do with your time that actually makes the difference.

Ma'Salaama

Sophist   

I think it is all about childhood dreama! always dreamt about the spires of Oxbridge! oh well, now I am here Walahi it was worth the wait.

Idil, I agree with you sister, environment matters to some. But if you like me, ignore these tophs and be more snob than they; they will soon find you "agreable".

Check my uni out Libaax sankataabtoow:

www.cam.ac.uk

or its law school www.law.cam.ac.uk

Sophist, I noticed Cambridge actually took the number one spot from Oxford. Good move mate.

By the way, check out the world's most rigorous engineering program where candidates go close to being mentally ill in the first year alone?

http://www.engsci.utoronto.ca/prospective2.html

Athena, thanks to SOL, you are still sane. Done with that Java course that was driving you crazy? :D

Idil, it is all about being happy whatever school you're at.

Nafisa, what do you mean they don't have the OAC's anymore? was that a joke?

Yasmine, let me guess: UofT artsie? Ok, I won't speculate.

Warmoog   

Libaax, you must be psychic because I am a UofT artsci. I'll spare you our slogan, it's not engineer friendly. :D

By the way, sister Nafisa wasn't joking. OAC has been abolished... I suspect the new policy is a remnant of the Mike Harris days. :mad:

Salaama.

MD   

^^^^ sooo not fair..no more OAC, although there were a lot of people who finished high school in four years. In a way its good though, i dont understand why ontario was the only place with OAC..

Did you worry about your school's ranking?

I think everyone did to a certain extent, where I live there's only three universities..actually two, one is not really a univs.. so i really didnt have much choice. It wasnt only me, my parents really cared about what univ i went to. But you know what in a way I believe it doesnt matter what univ you graduate from, at the end of the day it all comes down to your marks. I heard most jobs ask for transcripts.

Changed   

I wont bore you guys with my story since one similar to mine was presented by none other than IDIL.lol.. i live 45 min away from home and my mom still complains about it being very far from home :rolleyes: .

I love it here, even though its White dominant town; it gets me going(hang out area for me and my friends is the library; go figure). I was more concerned about my programs ranking rather than the overall i gues smile.gif .

am glad i didnt pick the U of M cuz its huge and i wonder how people commute :eek: . i wouldnt be able to get my studies done redface.gif

University rankings never mattered to me when I was applying. I chose my Uni due to the fact that my course would be based in a new, architecturally snazzy campus. LoL..YUP, in someone else's words, I was attracted by da bling bling.

However, in hindsight, I sometimes wish I had given my choices more thought. Due to the graduate employment environment in the UK today, the better ranked your uni, the more likely you will get a job (not any sort of job mind u, but the sort ur looking for) soon after graduating.

There's just too much competition because everyone has a degree. Which forces the majority of graduates to either settle for jobs they dont want, or to pursue expensive further studies at prestigious institutions.

Then again, there's little sense in regrets. And to tell ya the truth, I dont think I would change much if I could do it all over again. I luved my course and I was happy with the quality of teaching. Most of my lecturers were at the top of their fields. Unfortunately, schools like SOAS, LSE and Sussex tend to poach good academics from other Unis, and they stole several of my lecturers. Ba$tards.

raula   

Me had no idea in the beginning when joining My current UNI but they were eager to recruit somali at that time(pioneer-lol), anywhoo after research-its actually one of the TOP PUBLIC RESEARCH INSTITUTIONS IN THE COUNTRY -especially in my field. Therefore, me no going anywhere anytime soon unless I elope :D -and insha-allah looking forward to graduate studies Fall of 2005'

I have actually witnessed some somali people choosing schools so that they won't encounter SOMALI's in their prospective campuses. WHAT a nut head :rolleyes: -these bloody hecklers (some) end up going to private(freakin' expensive) institutions that have limited programs or specialized programs: then they start running helter-skelter after 4yrs of MOUNTING LOANS and CENRAL ACADEMIC BREAKDOWN Syndrome (CAB-kacabso ;) , I have discovered this syndrome to be prevalent is many somalis who have no idea of what their future outlook is/will looking like).