Sign in to follow this  
Valenteenah.

Top African Universities

I was wondering which African universities compare to the Ivy League Colleges of the USA and the Oxbridge universities of England?

Which are the most renowned? The most elite? The best of the best?

Someone mentioned to me that both Uganda and Ghana have very prestigious universities along with South Africa and Cairo, Egypt. Is that right?

Nomads, which African university would you vote for as the very best?

Paragon   

Lakkad....I heard so too. There was once when Makerere held almost 20,000 East African students. There is an elite university in S.Africa called Fort Hare... Another one that rivaled Makerere was a college in Ghana, its name i cant remember. Makerere also once became Idi Amin's intellectual battle ground. I have this ugandan friend who is a phd student in brunel university. He has graduated from Makerere and he tells me Makerere is becoming far too elite now.

Ugandans were always better in Education other east africans is said. Forget about Kenya's Egerton university...

According to this report Cape town university is top in Africa. University of Pretoria also in south africa is second and third u guessed is also from south africa university of Natal.

mind you, this report its quite baised, n they mention that in their judgin scheme. neverthless i think it gives a general ideal.

Think Tank, thanx for the link.

Ok, let me get this straight...the top 20 Universities in the whole World are all American except for 4 British and I Japanese?

And where exactly is London School of Economics (LSE)in the European top-100? Its as good as the Oxbridge Universities, if not better in many departments!

And my sister will be very happy to know that her Uni is ranked 401-450 out of 500! redface.gif

Lakkad,

Makerere seems to be very old and established. I'm just wondering if its the best in Africa?

Akash,

Thanx for the link. I wonder could Nigeria have anymore Universities! 29 at the last count, followed by S.Africa with 19. Unless there are others which havent registered with the AAU.

Amoud University is good, but it hasn't been around long enough to compete with the big-players.

Oh dear God in heaven! I just found the ranking for LSE...451-500 out of 500!

I'm sorry, but that cant be right. I'm going to have to disregard this, obviously erroneous ranking crap! I haven't been breaking my back trying to save the £8,000 fee for a postgrad deg at LSE, just to study at a BOTTOM-RANKED institute. No bloody way! :eek: :mad:

Macalin   

I'm sorry, but that cant be right. I'm going to have to disregard this, obviously erroneous ranking crap! I haven't been breaking my back trying to save the £8,000 fee for a postgrad deg at LSE, just to study at a BOTTOM-RANKED institute. No bloody way!

-------

Parhaps You should have a change of heart ;)

Makere as i know is old,i have no idea if its the BEST

well like i said they're baised, if u noticed all research schools are ranked the highest, meaning they supply most of the published works, and contain most nobel laureates. schools the specialize in arts or economics dont have a chance in this ranking.

Sophist   

Barwaaqo! LSE that foreign filled reprehensible place where money rules! At least Oxbridge colleges admit fairly rich boys from Britain; LSE will admit anyone who could pay their horrendous overseas fees. The whole school is geared with promoting research—and the money comes from the overseas students! Most of them can not even grasp what the lecturers are on about!. Anyhow, their undergruate courses are taught poorly—according someone who studied there and now is doing Law with me here.

Then again I would be bitter about them since they rejected me! But hey! Who cares I landed on the best Law school in Europe--- or so they tell us whenever they have the chance to brag.

lol   

How about University of Khartoum? Sudan has gr8 universities... and their aluminis are known to be well prepared when scattered around... so worth checking don't ya think ;)

hey

i know most of the uni's mentioned are from the east and south, how about nigeria? yes i know, us easterners are tired to hear of it, atleast i know am tired of listenning to the bragging of the elite'ism from nigeria. haha, elite'ism ain't a word, but just created it, haha.

anywas, i know a couple of graduates from there, one of them my professor, so i mean, it doesn't heart to check it out. also famous african writers have graduated from these instituitons too, chinua achebe, wole soyinka and so forth