Sign in to follow this  
Abdinuur

African Student Associations needs you!

Abdinuur   

Hello all!

First of all, Ciid Wanaagsan! smile.gif

How many of you are aware of or know about the African Student Associations at your colleges and universities?

Well, at my school, I am trying to organize and create an African Student Organizations. I wanted to organize our own Somali Student Organizations but we aren't that many to qualify (there are only seven of us, and you need to have at least ten to start your own club).

Anyways, I need your feedback and suggestions and ideas. If you're a member of any organizations, please list as many ideas as you can about anything that you guys have done together.

List programs that you guys have done that were successful and how your organization went about funding it and finding the money and the resources used.

Please help me with this. There are quite few Africans on campus and I thought it would be nice to start an organization.

Carry on....

king_450   

Kaafi , i haven't seen such a topic in a long time, and you are in the right trac , you will be success. Now for your core question, you can start a student association from any existance association, for instance if what you saying is true that there is only about 7 of you who are somalis in that University, then join any student association that you like, within that association you can start your 7 somali student assciation under that umbrella, so don't be discouraged, you doing the right thing, good luck. by the way kaafi you can join any student association, but yes it is nice to be in ur own domain however.

But if you need more information how to create plz feel free to see my school. here is the site

The George Washington University Student Association >

http://sa.gwu.edu

http://senate.gwu.edu

Dhimbil   

Abdi,

I think i can help you as I am the current President of African Student Association at my campus. But i'm pressed for time, will send you pm later or tomorrow.

Ramadaan Mubarak

Abdinuur   

King & illmatic,

thanks a lot guys.

King, I wanna work with the ASA first and with that experience move on to creating our own Somali Organization. Then, it'll be off the hook and everyone would want to join, regardless of their ethnic background. I really wanna make it happen. Thanks.

Please keep it coming guys!

Kaafi,

Its alot of hard work when you want to start a whole organization by yourself. Advertise for more people to join the ASA. then go to your dean of students office..and follow the procedure on starting out an organization and having the university recognize it. Otherwise, if you aren't recognized you cant do alot of things on campus.

Let me know how it works with your endevours and good luck!

Abdinuur   

THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT GUYS!

illmatic,

man, you're awesome...i will keep in touch with you personally since we're both doing similar thing.

THANKS AGAIN!

Abdinuur   

Runaway, welcome to the club. :)

We're planning on 'African Night' sometime in April (like the second week), so I wanna make it BIGGER than BIG. We had a Welcome Back Party last week and it went really well, from the feedback I received, people enjoyed it.

But between now and April, I wanna start some Fundraising, Community Service, etc...

well going back couple of yrs now! in my uni, we were the bomb of clubs! international students club! man, we were the kings of the campus! even the mayor of la came to our last bashes!

here is what we did: every country brought their culture, i.e, food, dances etc., this took place a whole saturday!! we eat from kos kos, to baluga, to sushi, biryani, to taco! and then we closed with nite party with native musics bands. it was a grand event! it really put the isc on the map @ ucla!!