Sign in to follow this  
Nur

Can A Woman Become A Head Of An Islamic State?

This thread is getting quite interesting! Drama queens superficial objections, pseudo religious interpretation injections (gender is a measure for political performance in office or managerial capacity, yaa Allaah), and above all opportunistic sarcasms from usual suspects of our SOL, all thrown in to the mix of what supposed to be a highly intellectual discussion, and it makes the ruins of this thread a quite visible one. Another housekeeping is in order ma is tiri. :D

But before we loose the gist of this thread, let me reiterate it:

1- There is a clear and unambiguous hadith that limits the degree to which a muslimah can rise in the domain of leadership

2- The ruling of this hadith had, and still enjoys, the consensus of the learned community of this ummah.

3- Those who, like me, respect and comply with the fundamentals of both science of haddiith and science of Islamic jurisprudence find very difficult to surmount the overwhelming (qualitatively) evidence in favor of this ruling.

What this hadith signifies is that, although woman is encouraged to be active and productive member of her community, the lawgiver has decreed and imposed some exceptions on her as to what function she can assume. That does not mean we can use gender as a measurement for political performance in office or intelligence, for that matter. That, I found, is unsustainable argument, and a one that has debased motives to which I could not subscribe. So there is no rational for saying woman is barred from holding office because she is less intelligent being! I for one don’t want to go on that road.

The importance of this hadith (and others like it) is that it tests our resolve in what we believe by limiting certain inherent aspirations and desires that we have. I can’t emphasis enough how much I appreciate the political ambitions (or ability to have that right) of some sisters and their attempt to challenge this hadith. That is understandable and quite frankly natural. What I don’t understand is the habit of objecting religious rulings solely on logical bases or worse yet to try to bend our fundamental rules of accepting and interpreting hadith just to fix mere inconvenience. In fact it was out of character of some pleasant nomads here to even try to dig in to the integrity of a sahabi to exact some favorable outcome for this issue! That is not good.

Lets take from there…. and move on.

P.S: I liked Scarlet’s sheikh and how he explained what the reason could be.

Originally posted by Scarlet:

I actually asked my Imam that question a couple of months ago and he said that it does not mean that a woman can't run a country or that the country will not prosper because a woman is the head of it...but that it means that
men must have become so useless for it to come for a woman to rule.
And a nation of useless men is a loser nation so maaha? So in that sense, it won't prosper.

Sweety, I hate to penetrate your resolve in this new-found-logic for the subject but your Imam said the same thing as Suleyman’s article. What your sheikh said in essence is this – a woman cannot hold the position of a leader unless all the men are useless. Why must the intelligence and capabilities of men be questioned or undermined for a woman to hold an office job? Can a woman not be a leader without the men being useless? Can she not do a better job than a lot of men? He is implying the same thing Scarlet and you shouldn’t take comfort in it if you disagree with Suleyman’s piece. Potatoes, potatoes.

Cumar   

As-salaam Alaikuum

I had a slight feeling that some members would object against the statement of Imaam Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him).

The hadeeth regarding the shortcomings of women:

The Prophet (Peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "I have seen none having more of a shortcoming in reasoning and religion yet, at the same time, robbing the wisdom of the wisest men than you." They said: “O Messenger of Allah what is the shortcoming in our reasoning?†He said: “Is it not the case that the testimony of two women is equivalent to that of one man.†They said: “O Messenger of Allah what is the shortcoming in our religion." He said: "Is it not the case that when you have your menses you neither pray nor fast?"(Saheeh al-Bukhaaree and Saheeh Muslim)

The Shaykh after explaining this hadeeth added additional points to consider his statement. He said:

"However, this does not mean that they have a shortcoming in understanding in everything or that they have a shortcoming in religion in every matter. The Prophet (Peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) made it clear that their shortcoming in understanding is with respect to their non-proficiency and in religion with respect to their not praying or fasting during menstruation or post-partum bleeding.

This also does not mean that she is less than men in every matter or that men are superior to her in every aspect. Yes, as a class, men are superior to women in general. This is true for a number of reasons, as Allaah has stated: "Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has made the one of them to excel the other, and because they spend [to support them] from their means." (4:34)

However, she may excel him in many matters. How many women are greater than many men with respect to their intelligence, religion and proficiency. It has been narrated from the Prophet (Peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) that women as a species or class are less than men in understanding and religion from the point of view of the matters that the Prophet (Peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) himself explained.

Asalaam Alaikuum

Khalaf   

Here is piece related to suleyman article from islamqa:

Edit: Yaa Raab: I am putting this in here, some of the comments are....Allahu Akbar not accurate. Amelia put down your knife :D don't go homicidal on us. :D

Question : Are women allowed to be rulers in the islamic shariah? (i would prefer evidence from the Qur'an).

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

We appreciate our brother’s keenness to find out and follow the evidence from the Qur’aan, but there will not necessarily be evidence specifically from the Qur’aan for every issue. Rather the evidence for many rulings is to be found in the saheeh Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), not the Qur’aan. The Muslim has to follow the evidence of both the Qur’aan and Sunnah. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Obey Allaah and obey the Messenger (Muhammad), and those of you (Muslims) who are in authority. (And) if you differ in anything amongst yourselves, refer it to Allaah and His Messenger, if you believe in Allaah and in the Last Day. That is better and more suitable for final determinationâ€

[al-Nisa’ 4:59]

Allaah has commanded us to obey Him and to obey His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and He has commanded us to refer matters of dispute to His Book and the Sunnah of His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And whatsoever the Messenger (Muhammad) gives you, take it; and whatsoever he forbids you, abstain (from it). And fear Allaah; verily, Allaah is Severe in punishmentâ€

[al-Hashr 59:7]

Ibn Maajah (12) narrated from al-Miqdaam ibn Ma’di Yakrib that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Soon there will come a time when a man will be reclining on his pillow, and when one of my hadeeth is narrated to him, he will say, ‘The Book of Allaah is (sufficient) between us and you. Whatever it states is permissible we will take as permissible, and whatever it states is forbidden, we will take as forbidden.’ Verily, whatever the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) has forbidden is like that which Allaah has forbidden.â€

Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 8186

Secondly:

The evidence from the Qur’aan and Sunnah indicates that it is not permissible for a woman to assume positions of senior public authority, such as the caliph (khaleefah), minister of state (wazeer or vizier) or judge (qaadi) and so on.

1 – Evidence from the Qur’aan:

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allaah has made one of them to excel the other, and because they spend (to support them) from their meansâ€

[al-Nisa 4:34]

Al-Qurtubi said:

The words “Men are the protectors and maintainers of women†mean that they spend on them and protect them, and also that they (men) are the rulers and governors, and the ones who go on military campaigns, and none of these are the role of women.

Tafseer al-Qurtubi, 5/168.

Ibn Katheer said:

It means the man is in charge of the woman; he is her leader, the ruler over her who disciplines her if she goes astray.

“because Allaah has made one of them to excel the other†means, because men are superior to woman, and a man is better than a woman. Hence Prophethood was given only to men, as is the role of caliph, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No people will ever prosper who appoint a woman in charge of them.â€

Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 1/492.

2 –Evidence from the Sunnah:

It was narrated that Abu Bakrah said: When the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) heard that the people of Persia had appointed the daughter of Chosroes as their queen, he said, “No people will ever prosper who appoint a woman in charge of them.â€

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 4163.

Al-Shawkaani said in Nayl al-Awtaar, 8/305:

This indicates that women are not qualified to rule, and it is not permissible for people to appoint them as rulers, because they must avoid that which will cause them not to prosper.

Al-Maawirdi said, in the context of his discussion of the position of wazeer:

It is not permissible for a woman to play this role, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “No people will prosper if they delegate their affairs to a woman.†And because these positions require wisdom and resolve, which women may be lacking in, and requires appearing in public to handle matters directly, which is haraam for them to do.

Al-Ahkaam al-Sultaaniyyah, p. 46.

Ibn Hazm (may Allaah have mercy on him) said, in the context of his discussion on the role of caliph:

There is no dispute that it is not permissible for a woman (to be caliph).

Al-Fasl fi’l-Milal wa’l-Nihal, 4/129.

In al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah (21/270) it says:

The fuqaha’ are agreed that one of the conditions of the position of caliph is that the holder should be male. The leadership of a woman is not valid, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No people will ever prosper who appoint a woman in charge of them.†That is also so that he will be able to mix with men, to devote his time solely to dealing with affairs of state, and because this position involves handling very serious matters. The responsibility is great and this is a man’s role.

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked the following question:

What is the Islamic view on a woman being nominated as a candidate for the position of head of state, or head of a government, or a public ministry?

He replied:

It is not permissible to appoint or elect a woman as head of state. This is indicated by the Qur’aan, Sunnah and scholarly consensus. In the Qur’aan, Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allaah has made one of them to excel the other…â€

[al-Nisa 4:34]

The ruling in the verse is general and includes a man’s position of leadership in his family, and applies more so to his position of public leadership. This ruling is supported by the reason given in the verse itself, which is men’s intellectual superiority and better understanding etc, which are basic qualifications for leadership.

In the Sunnah, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No people will ever prosper who appoint a woman in charge of them.†Narrated by al-Bukhaari.

Undoubtedly this hadeeth indicates that it is haraam for a woman to take a position of public leadership, or to become the governor of a province or city, because all of that comes under the general meaning of the hadeeth, and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said that those who appoint a woman as their leader will never prosper. Prospering means being successful and doing well.

The ummah unanimously agreed in practical terms at the time of the Rightly-Guided Caliphs and the imams of the first three generations, which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) testified were the best of generations, that women should not be appointed as governors or judges. There were women who were brilliant in religious knowledge, to whom scholars would refer concerning knowledge of Qur’aan, hadeeth and religious rulings, but no woman aspired to positions of public leadership during that time or any other position of that nature. The shar’i responsibilities of such positions cannot be carried out by women, because that involves travelling to the provinces, and mixing with the members of the ummah, and meeting with them, and leading the army sometimes in jihad, and negotiating with the enemy, and accepting oaths of allegiance from members of the ummah, and meeting with them, men and women, at times of war and peace, and so on. This is not appropriate for a woman, and it goes against the rulings of sharee’ah that are established to protect her and keep her safe from having to go out and mix in such a manner.

Rationally speaking, women should not be given positions of public office, because what is required of the one who is chosen for such a position is that he should a man of great resolve, determination, smartness, will power and good management skills. These characteristics are lacking in women because they have been created with weakness in their intellect and thinking, and with strong emotions, so electing them to such positions is not in the interests of the Muslims and does not help them to achieve greatness.

And Allaah is the source of strength. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon his family and companions.

Majallat al-Mujtama’, issue no. 890.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A (www.islam-qa.com)

source

Oh, sharp eyed Amelia. As you can see I'm way out of my depth in this one. I reacted instinctively when I read 'less intelligent' and other id!otic statements. My blood was boiling. :D

I'll step out now b4 I embarass myself further. Good questions...but as I'm not versed in the hadith & etc. I can't really say anything.

*gracefully bows out*

^^^ :D:D

Amelia, man becoming useless implies that he fails to do his primary responsibility, and not being ****** , I gather. You yourself suggested today’s political and social conditions may warrant the need for Muslim women to step in the leadership position and be better leaders than men. If a woman attempts to right the wrongs of men, it does not mean she is ****** or any thing like that, it just means she is just carrying extra load of burden, on top what she already been doing. Perhaps Scarlet good sheikh has come to the same conclusion as you did.

Cumar   

Oh, sharp eyed Amelia. As you can see I'm way out of my depth in this one. I reacted instinctively when I read 'less intelligent' and other id!otic statements. My blood was boiling.
:D

I'll step out now b4 I embarass myself further. Good questions...but as I'm not versed in the hadith & etc. I can't really say anything.

*gracefully bows out*

As-salaam Alaikuum

To brush the statements of Imaam bin Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) as 'idiotic' statements in order to statisy your whims that your [unqualified] interpretation is the correct position is at its plain slander. If you excel him in knowledge dear sister, or find ikhtilaaf based on the hadeeth then please share us with us but do not resort to slandering just because it opposes your 'aql.

Asalaam Alaikuum

^I never said anything against him. If I was refering to him I would've named him. I was being general and not refering to a specific person.

I have full respect for all learned men & women, regardless of whether or not I agree with or understand their positions. I have never in my life insulted an Imam, sheik, or teacher. However, I have no respect for the 'women are less intellegent so therefore *fill in the blanks* bandwagon.

Please come up with something better. I would never listen to a person who insults me just because Allah has created me a woman. I don't buy that and I never will.

P.S.

Rationally speaking, women should not be given positions of public office, because what is required of the one who is chosen for such a position is that he should a man of great resolve, determination, smartness, will power and good management skills. These characteristics are lacking in women because they have been created with weakness in their intellect and thinking, and with strong emotions, so electing them to such positions is not in the interests of the Muslims and does not help them to achieve greatness.

This part is his own interpretation. Since he doesn't have scw after his name, I don't see why that should be set in stone.

Anyway, let's stop it there. I don't want to continue it and bring dambi upon myself. Salaam.

^^and it just does not make any sense to me either.

Sulayman, you can’t post a weak rational for the reason behind this ruling and still expect for sisters to comply with it. Weak intelligence is not a plausible reason for why the lawgiver made this exception, I hold, and you can throw as many selective quotes as you want but it won’t persuade me a bit. Do you seriously think, good Sulayman, our mother Aisha was less intelligent, for instance, than that crooked Yasid ibnu Mu’awiya of Umayyat government who ruled this ummah for many years? Lets not go there, adeer. It’s nonstarter

I hate to speculate as to what is the reason behind this hadith is but if you force us that direction I would say it is that so the sisters don’t neglect their primary responsibilities by getting this extra burden. Lets not insult other gender’s intelligence to justify the wisdom of this religious verdict. It just doesn’t make any sense saaxiib.

Cumar   

It seems, sister, that you still haven't grasped the gist of the explanatory notes that I have attached in the next reply. These notes explain the reason for his explanation and if you perceive as insults then so be it dear sister.

The Prophet (Peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said that women have shortcomings in reason. Does that indicate as an insult? Rather not for it's scientifically proven that women are lacking in reason due the emotional nature of women.

What about the two women witnesses? Was that verse revealed to degrade women or was it revealed since Allaah (Exalted is He) knows the nature of His creation and knows what's best.

And get two witnesses of your own men, and if there are not two men then a man and two women such as you choose for witnesses - so that if one of them errs, the other can remind her... [baqarah 2:182]

In fact, research has indicated that the brain has two sides, which are called cerebral hemispheres. Women, when speaking, use both sides of the hemispheres whilst men are restricted to one side (for other tasks such as recalling memory).

Hence, the women might err whilst given testimony, since she uses both sides of her brain instead of one side whilst men can recall easily by using their other side.

Wasalaam Alaikuum

Originally posted by Suleyman:

In fact, research has indicated that the brain has two sides, which are called cerebral hemispheres. Women, when speaking, use both sides of the hemispheres whilst men are restricted to one side (for other tasks such as recalling memory).

Hence, the women might err whilst given testimony, since she uses both sides of her brain instead of one side whilst men can recall easily by using their other side.

Wasalaam Alaikuum

LOL. Walahi this is just too easy, it's almost criminal :D

Walaal, were going by research now miyaa? Well research also says more WOMEN than men are in universities, more WOMEN than men are earning degrees, more WOMEN than men do well in both school and post secondary. Now what does that say about the 'less intelligent, blah, blah' crap. :D

Xiin, understand's what I'm saying. I'm not arguing about whether or not a woman can be a leader; for I don't see why anyone would want to jump to that position. Better people were reluctant/hesitant when asked. Allah judges them much more harshly because of their influencial and powerful positions.

But I do not accept nor will I sit back and be satisfied with these baseless and demeaning reasons as to why.

Cumar   

LOL. Walahi this is just too easy, it's almost criminal

Walaal, were going by research now miyaa? Well research also says more WOMEN than men are in universities, more WOMEN than men are earning degrees, more WOMEN than men do well in both school and post secondary. Now what does that say about the 'less intelligent, blah, blah' crap.

I hope that you're not confusing demographics with scientific research. I have already clarified the 'less intelligent part' in the following past sister.

The Shaykh from islamtoday writes:

When Islam discusses the deficiencies of women, it is neither insulting them nor belittling them. Some men, unfortunately, do precisely that when they quote the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) that women "have a deficiency in their intellect and their religion". They take these words out of context as a means of oppressing women and putting them down.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) meant something quite different. He said: "I have never seen among those who have a deficiency in their intellect and their religion anyone more capable than women of swaying the intellect of the most determined of men." He is actually asserting here the power of women to influence men and sway their opinion. This is one of the distinctions that women, in their natures, have.

And the statement of Imaam Bin Baaz:

"However, this does not mean that they have a shortcoming in understanding in everything or that they have a shortcoming in religion in every matter. The Prophet (Peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) made it clear that their shortcoming in understanding is with respect to their non-proficiency and in religion with respect to their not praying or fasting during menstruation or post-partum bleeding.

This also does not mean that she is less than men in every matter or that men are superior to her in every aspect. Yes, as a class, men are superior to women in general. This is true for a number of reasons, as Allaah has stated: "Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has made the one of them to excel the other, and because they spend [to support them] from their means." (4:34)

However, she may excel him in many matters. How many women are greater than many men with respect to their intelligence, religion and proficiency. It has been narrated from the Prophet (Peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) that women as a species or class are less than men in understanding and religion from the point of view of the matters that the Prophet (Peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) himself explained.

So once you reconcile these statements, it refers the defiency in regard to her reason. But unfortunately, you hung on the first few words of the Imaam without glancing at the clarification notes.

As-salaam Alaikuum

^^waxaan dux lahayn baad ku noq-noqonaysaa. give it up, dude. Ama dood macno leh la imow ama iska daa waxaan aad ka lulato saaxiib. Dumarku waa ka caqli yaryihiin ragga waa sheeko aabaheed dhintay, don't be that father now :D .

Hadba mid baa kusoo galayya...ibtilo!

Cumar   

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

^^waxaan dux lahayn baad ku noq-noqonaysaa. give it up, dude.

As-salaam Alaikuum

I rather wish not to go off-topic but why should one rather give up posting the statements of the Imaams? Isn't the primary aim to take knowledge from these statements?

I really wish if you could address me as your brother in Islaam instead of 'dude'.

Jazaka'Allaahu khairun in advance

Wasalaam Alaikuum

Pi   

Sulayman is like a relative with embarrasing habits that you wouldn't want to be caught dead with outside your house. :D