Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

US adds Eritrea to human rights blacklist

US adds Eritrea to human rights blacklist

March 6, 2007

WASHINGTON -- The US State Department added Eritrea Tuesday to its blacklist of the world's worst human rights violators after the Horn of Africa state backed an attempted takeover of neighboring Somalia by radical Islamists.

"The Eritrean government continued to be one of the most repressive in Sub-Saharan Africa, and its human rights record worsened in 2006," the department said in its annual human rights report.

"Government security forces committed extrajudicial killings; there were credible reports that security forces shot on sight individuals trying to cross the border into Ethiopia," it said.

Eritrea joined Belarus, China, Cuba, Iran, Myanmar, North Korea, and Zimbabwe on the State Department's list of "the world's most systematic human rights violators." The other seven states also featured on the 2005 blacklist.

The downgrading of Eritrea came after Washington accused the government in Asmara of providing aid to the Islamic Courts movement in its failed bid last year to take control in Somalia.

The courts, which the US says harbored leading Al Qaeda members, seized control of much of the south of the country from Somalia's Western-backed interim government until Ethiopian troops, with tacit US backing, intervened and ousted the Islamists in December.

Ethiopia, Washington's closest ally in sub-Saharan Africa, is Eritrea's main regional rival.

The new report also noted marked improvements in the human rights records of six nations: Liberia, Indonesia, Morocco, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Haiti, and Ukraine.

Abwaan   

They are a joke. I can't wait to see when America is added into what will hopefuly be "Unaccepted Group". When their fake Empire fanishes.

Saaxiib,

have you forgotten afghanistan, iraq, guantanamo, aircraft gunships in somalia all in that last 6 years.. how can u speak of a list that the us maintains !

Originally posted by EboniQue:

^^Ninku malaha ma Fayooba.

I am talking about the possibility that GD is not a human, he is probably a mechine without liver and heart that is designed to serve for the interests of Gaalo!

Fiyoobi maba ka suuroobi karto, eedo!

Not 200, but more than 2000.Why is Eritrea making all the fuss and getting into all this trouble if it was not involved. Its like saying that Sudan governemnt has nothing to do with whats taking place in Darfur.

Abwan, do you think the American empire will vanish in your life time? Any bets?

Jaylaani   

Originally posted by General Duke:

Qabil-Ubahane, you hate the US so much yet reside in Boston, funny that..

DON'T GO THERE!

There is fine line between Somali hadlakeeda and wax umadaha kale khuseeya.

Actually this is somewhat funny,

So, GD a couple of pointers - first i rarely notice people bringing qabiil up in anything and when i do, you're always somehow in focus throwing some amalgamation of mismatched words that you have just concocted solely to demean.. surely you should be employed in some right wing think tank thinking up the next non-buzz word while plotting how to 'neutralise' the next target

So do u actually support US actions, do actually think they have creditability beyond Fox news when they make these statement? If not why are you posting it for us?

btw. i know many americans that share ubaahne's hesitance of US policy -- should they be relocated too?

^^^CG, You must pardon me if I dont take you seriously at all, Qabil-Ubahane is a name titled by another person. However the clan courts name was not coined by me but I refer to it as a pointer to the fact that defunct movement was not an "Islamic" one.

As for Ubahane, he has been here inciting hatred and making threats, the man dedicated a whole post to attacking North Galkacyu with mortars, obviously you missed that one. He has a record here of promising to take part in the clan Jihad and vowing to fight all the way from Boston.

Again pardon me saxib.

GD,

walaal, dont apologise to me you dont need to, and ubaahne is his own character - the man has done more to entertain and frustrate the members of SOL than what i ever imagined to be humanely possible by one man .. and for that he has my laughter and abuse equally..

But man come on US and eriteria .. the ragime stinks on its people we knwo but listing it as america says.. well..right now that's like being asked to choose between which piece turd you accidentally step on