Sign in to follow this  
money

VIDEOS OF BBC SOMALIA TOWNHALL DISCUSSION/

Money,

Thanks for posting these videos. Prof. Samatar made great points and it really shows that the man dedicated more then two decades to the Somali crisis. The steps he puts forth in order for Somalis to reach peace and governance are simple and straight to the point.

A.Haji Hussein however seems very hopeless. Yet he makes a great point when he says that the we as a people cannot overcome qabil when we cant even agree among a few in a room let alone among many citizens in a country.

money   

I agree with you that both these prominent Somalis made some great points and I was really impressed with the passionate explanation of things by the professor. As for the former PM, Honorable Abdirizak, he maybe sensing that it is too late for him and that he might not be able to see Somali nation restored or re-established in what is left of his life. But I am bit surprised and taken back by the lady and her bold statements. She seems to be generalizing and making some conclusive statements. But I liked and watched all parts and I think everyone should watch and maybe discuss these points in here. It is a healing process and a letting out exercise of your concerns and views.

Fabregas   

The dead camel metaphor is very powerful with regards to Somalia! A bit like the last puppet Andalusian-Moorish leader who cried for his possesions when the Spanish crusaders took it from him and then his mother said to him, " don't cry for something you didn't defend like a man". In the case of Somalia, is it even worth crying for? Don't take that as a literal question!

And the lady is right with regards to Somalis creating the environment and perhaps inviting Ethiopians to the border!

Money,

I agree, such discussion should happen.

Abu_geeljire,

One thing I have noticed is that Somalis always seem to expect things from administrations, elders, international communities. I agree somewhat with the professor, when he used the metaphor of a sheep dying where she lays herself. (Sorry the translation might be off)

In essence the prof. is saying that we must take some of the blame. I think always pointing fingers at others, strips us as citizens from a real power that we possess. Citizens can come together and attempt to take steps towards rebuilding their country. Of course things are more difficult now then ever, but I believe we can get pass this clown of an administration. Somalis are more then invasion, famine and war. The citizens have the real power to make change, and the diaspora are just as well to blame for the crisis as these warlords, and spineless men that ONLY share the name "Somali" with us.

^ It reminds back in the day when somali where not so divided and at each others throat the citizens went out and built schools 'iskaa wax u qabso' DIY projects

even after the ICU took over xamar ... people would organize themselves and clean the streets and clear all of the junk from the sea port and the air port ... there was a hint of going back to out glory days but the !@#$%^& came and it went to hell !

^ I know what you mean. Things can quickly turn around if they invest in their country, not in terms of monetary investment but time and efforts. I know cities in the north were the diasporas came together to built things, invest their business projects there.

Theres this logic that where one invest alot of his/her effort, one will be less likely to take part of wars or support groups that are not directly working towards peace.

However I think the problem is when Somali diaspora only come together by tribes. Thus this tribe will built a school for "their" city.

Perhaps thats the real problem: educated Somalis, who have been fortunate enough to witness first hand how a society can progress in their adopted countries when people come together for the greater good, yet wont lift a finger to take part of building seriously their country. Thats the real shame.

money   

I honestly think that some of us in this forum can do better than these politicians, elders, leaders and warlords. We are just waiting here for people who have been through hell and through chaos, who are mentally unstable ( and I mean that, current Somali leaders are mentally traumatized) to fix our problems and bring back a peaceful Somalia! I think that is unrealistic. Just look at them: Those in the TFG are dominated by warlords, clannish opportunists, traitors and qat junkies. The same can be said on th other faction based in Asmara, they too have clannish opportunists, warlords and flip-flobbers. If the young and educated college graduates brave and venture to smaller Somali cities and come up with sustainable proposals, solicit funding and start self-reliance programs as educating young kids, setting schools, clinics, digging water holes, setting electricity,

public education, and so on, and forget about the government, warlords, clan elders and islamists alike, I think peace will come naturally and they will be able to overthrow these useless ****** at the helm of our leadership now.

why we wouldn't do that? I can go to small Somali tuulo where my great grandfather came from and maybe do something? I could invite my friends in college to come for summer programs and study trips or as volunteers. It is like Somali peace corps. would the young and educated stand up?