Sign in to follow this  
Urban

Franck Ribéry: Scarface

Urban   

After Michel Platini and Zinedine Zidane, Franck Ribery is being talked about as the next big thing in French football.

France have a new darling. Just as the impending retirement of Zinedine Zidane looked to be marking the end of an era for Les Bleus, a new name has emerged in Raymond Domenech’s plans who is threatening to bring Zizou’s exit from the game forward. At first thought, it is quite amazing to hear that there have been calls for Domenech to put Marseille’s 23-year-old midfielder Franck Ribery in France’s starting line-up in Germany ahead of Zidane. The Real Madrid man, who hit two for France in the 1998 World Cup Final, was seen as the returning hero, coming out of retirement to save his nation’s World Cup plans. For him to now be sweating on a place in the starting XI against Switzerland on June 13 is remarkable.

So who exactly is Franck Ribery? Is he really the natural successor to Michel Platini and Zidane as France’s next great playmaker? Born in Northern France in 1983, Ribery’s story has a dramatic beginning. Aged just two he was involved in a terrible car crash in which he was thrown through the front window of his parents’ car – leaving distinctive scarring down the right side of his face to this day, giving him the look of a Bond villain and the nickname ‘Scarface’.... rest of the article...

seeing is believing...

video 1

video 2

Have you guys seen him play? he's definetly the one to watch during the world cup.

A wizard indeed but why can't him and Zizou play together. Zizou behind strike pair with Ribery on the wing.

He looks the part though.

This kid is great, but he has problems with his discipline and has a big mouth. Apparently Man Utd are leading the chase for him although Arsenal are making a late push for him.

This guy would suit Arsenal's style of play to the bone, I'd love too see how he links up with Henry and would be the perfect solution for Pires. His disciplinary problems would be sorted by a coach like Wenger or Ferguson.

Urban   

i agree Villa, would love to see this guy in the Emirates stadium next year...

possible formation? that midfield is oozing creativity...can become one of the best in europe.

squadjpg9vv.jpg

Viking   

urban,

That squad would be torn to pieces because the midfield is extremely lightweight and does not have a single defensive midfielder. Why did you neglect the best player in Arsenal this past season? The player who has been protecting the young Arsenal defence and midfield all season long. I'm of course referring to Gilberto Silva.

Urban   

Viking i know what you mean about the lack of the Def. Midfielder, but i was thinking maybe fabregas could take on a role similar to Andrea Pirlo's for AC Milan. He was an attacking midfielder originally but was later converted to a more defensive role, covering the back four and dictating the team's tempo, creating chances, like a defensive playmaker. What do you think of that idea? maybe it doesnt suit the PL, i dunno...

if not then i would probably go for a 4-5-1 system that could change to a 4-3-3...similar to chelsea's...

squad2jpg6mr.jpg

Viking   

That is much better urban. I would put Reyes ahead of van Persie because he runs more, and that is vital if you are playing one up top. Pirlo is able to play that position in the manner he does because he has someone doing the 'dirty-work' in midfield, GATTUSO!

Seedorf and Kaka do a LOT of running in the game and help out defensively. AC Milan play 4-3-1-2. Seedorf, Pirlo, Gattuso - with Kaka playing behind Gilardino and Sheva.

AC Milan have sold Sheva which I think is okay because he's been at AC Milan for six years or so and won everything there is to win at club level and has become the highest scorer in the history of the European Cup. He needs a new chellnge elsewhere to motivate him.

Adriano Galliani has promised to replace him with a player who is of the same callibre. I wonder who it will be since there aren't many who are in the same league as Sheva. Henry and Eto'o are the only players who I think are almost as good as him but they are not available.

urban, ur getting me excited by all them diagrams, I cant wait fort next season.

Man U are set to sign Carrick over the weekend and are also interested in Torres to replace Van Nistelrooij which could mean they lost the race for Ribery?

Urban   

i think Ribery is being told to stay at marseille for another season then decide whether or not to leave. liverpool need a player like him, they could sign him in a deal that would include cisse moving the other way, but marseille aren't gonna sign an injured player.

Martin Jol confirmed today that Tot have turned down a £10m bid for carrick.

Viking, i dont know of milan are gonna sign a big name striker, they've already got Inzaghi who's on top form, and the 16-goal striker Gilardino, also Marcio Amoroso who is..well, crap! i think if Juve get demoted to B, then Ibra would be an ideal signing for Milan, i dont want that to happen but he confirmed that he's not gonna play in serie B! Where's the loyalty? tut tut

He is garbage or at least the way he played today, he was out of control the whole time he was in..

I was curious about the hype with this guy but after seeing him today? No sir not anymore..

^^^I take that back, the guy is amazing he have great skills with the ball and he is never out of balance. I guess he was nervous in the first match but he played great today..