Sign in to follow this  
Bachelor

Woman to lead men in Friday prayers

Khayr   

Pictures from the March 18th Jummah

call-to-prayer-2.jpg

thanks-sheikh-guma.gif

By Ahmed Nassef

While most North American Muslim organizations remain either silent or come up with bizarre arguments against it, Mufti Sheikh Ali Gum'a, Egypt's top Islamic authority, has declared that woman-led prayer of mixed-gender congregations is permissible, so long as the congregation agrees to it.

According to a report by Arab satellite news channel Al-Arabiyya, Sheikh Gum'a declared in an interview on Egyptian television that there is no consensus among religious scholars on the issue of female imamat of mixed gender congregations, pointing out that respected scholars like Imam Tabari and Imam Ibn Arabi found the practice permissible.

"The Mufti added that, in such issues where there are disagreements, then the situation rests with the specific people concerned. If [the congregation] accepts a woman as imam, then that's their business, and there is nothing wrong with that since that is what they are accustomed to," Al-Arabiyya reported.

asra-intro.jpg

redface.gifredface.gifredface.gif

Question

My wife is a new convert to Islam, she is a English woman and I'm doing my best to help her understand Islam with the little knowledge that I know hoping that God accepts from me

. Upon hearing that a Muslim woman is going to lead the Friday prayer for men and women in some US mosque, encouraged by the voices of some associations that fight for the equality of the sexes. I had a discussion with her regarding this matter and as I was myself confused I did not know how to convince her about what's religiously acceptable and what's not. Please help with advise and feedback.

Fatwa

All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger, may Allaah exalt his mention as well as that of his family and all his companions.

The position of the Islamic Law about a woman leading a man or men in prayer is clear that it is forbidden and it is not accepted for her to lead (them) in prayer. If a woman leads a man in prayer, his prayer is void and he has to make it up. This is a matter which is agreed upon among the jurists, may Allaah have mercy on them, with the exception of those who deviated from the correct opinion. The evidence that a woman cannot lead a man in prayer is the saying of the Prophet, sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam: "The best rows for women are the last rows and the worst rows for them are the first rows [behind men] and the best rows for men are the first rows, and the worst rows are the last rows." [Muslim] Since the Prophet, sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam, described the first rows of women behind men as the worst rows, it is not permissible for a woman to be in front of men and lead the prayer!

Another evidence for the invalidity of a woman leading men in prayers is the narration of Ibn ‘Umar, may Allaah be pleased with him, that the Prophet, sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam, said: "Do not deprive your women from attending the houses of Allaah (i.e. the mosques), but their homes are better (i.e. more rewarding) for them." [Abu Daawood and Ahmad] When explaining this narration, Imaam As-Sindi, may Allaah have mercy upon him, stated: 'The saying of the Prophet sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam: "…their homes are better (i.e. more rewarding) for them" means that they will receive a greater reward for praying at home than if they were to pray in the mosque. This is due to them being further from temptation by remaining at home. This becomes even more apparent and established by the fact that women have begun to adorn themselves and are leaving their homes in a manner which did not exist at the time of the Prophet, sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam. This phenomenon caused ‘Aa’ishah, may Allaah be pleased with her, to state that women must be obliged to pray at home.†[End of quote] If they were commanded to distant themselves from men during prayer and the worse rows of women were those closest to men's, how can it permissible for women to lead men in prayers?

One more evidence is the story of Anas, may Allaah be pleased with him, which is that once his grandmother, Mulaykah, invited the Prophet, sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam, to eat food that she had prepared for him. After eating it, he, sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam, said: "Stand up so that I can lead you in prayer." Anas, may Allaah be pleased with him, narrated: "I brought a plastic rug of ours which was stained, and so I washed it with water, then the Prophet, sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam, stood up to pray. I lined up behind him along with an orphan who was with us, and the old woman (i.e. his grandmother) stood behind us; the Prophet, sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam, then prayed two Rak’ahs." [Muslim] If this old woman stood behind the boys and not next to them, despite the fact that Anas, may Allaah be pleased with him, was her grandson, then can how can women be allowed to stand in front of a group of men and lead them during prayer? Imaam As-Sindi, may Allaah have mercy upon him, said: 'This narration is evidence that it is not permissible for a woman to lead men during prayers. Moreover, the fact that she (i.e., the woman mentioned in the narration) was not allowed to line up with the men during this prayer means that it is even more prohibited for her to stand ahead of them.' [End of quote]

The following is yet another proof for the impermissibility of women to lead men during prayers is the statement of the Prophet, sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam, addressing the companions, may Allaah be pleased with them: "Never will they succeed, those who make a woman in charge of their affairs." [Al-Bukhaari]

The narration of Sahl ibn Sa`d As-Sa`idi, may Allaah be pleased with him, furthers proves this point, and it is that the Prophet, sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam, said: "If the Imaam makes a mistake in the course of prayer, men should say, 'Subhaanallaah' (i.e. Glory be to Allaah); this is bound to attract the attention of the Imaam, and women should only clap." [Al-Bukhaari and Muslim] If a woman is prohibited from uttering 'Subhaanallaah' (i.e. Glory be to Allaah) during the congregational prayer whilst standing behind men, then how can anyone claim it is permissible for her to ascend the pulpit, deliver the Khutbah, and lead men during prayers?

The practice of the Muslims, for the past fourteen centuries, is that women never led men in prayer. Some wives of the Prophet, sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam, and some female companions, may Allaah be pleased with them, were more knowledgeable than the male companions, like 'Aa'ishah and Um Salamah, may Allaah be pleased with them, despite this, it is not reported that one of them led men in prayer.

Sound mind and sound natural disposition of men do not accept that a woman would be in front of men as she is a cause of temptation and incites men's desires, standing in front of him bowing down and prostrating, and reciting the Qur'an in an act of worship which is the most important and greatest act of worship. How can men humble themselves in prayer behind her? No sane person would ever say this.

Our advice to the dear questioner is that he should teach his wife that the religion of Islam is based on submission to Allaah's Decree and the ruling of His Prophet, sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam. So it is not permissible to contradict the Ruling of Allaah and the Sunnah just because of following one's desires. Allaah says (which means): {It is not for a believing man or a believing woman, when Allaah and His Messenger have decided a matter, that they should [thereafter] have any choice about their affair. And whoever disobeys Allaah and His Messenger has certainly strayed into clear error.}[Qur'an 33:36]. Allaah also says (which means): {O you who have believed, do not put [yourselves] before Allaah and His Messenger but fear Allaah. Indeed, Allaah is All-Hearing and All-Knowing.}[Qur'an 49:1]. Allaah further says (which means): {But no, by your Lord, they will not [truly] believe until they make you, [O Muhammad, sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam], judge concerning that over which they dispute among themselves and then find within themselves no discomfort from what you have judged and submit in [full, willing] submission.}[Qur'an 4:65].

So what is forbidden is what Allaah has forbidden in His Book, or what the Prophet, sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam, has forbidden, or what the Islamic nation agreed in a consensus is forbidden. To know what is forbidden from what is not, we have to resort to the Book of Allaah and the Sunnah of the Prophet, sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam.

Moreover, your wife has to know that Islam honoured a woman and gave her the highest position that suits her, Islam honoured her as a mother, as a daughter, as a sister, and as a wife. The punishment and reward applies for both men and women equally, she has the same rights as him but she has obligations and duties that correspond her natural predisposition. The man has also rights that suit his strength, his skin, his physique and his natural disposition, he is her guardian, he protects her with his strength, and spends on her from his earnings. Allaah says (which means): {And they (women) have rights (over their husbands as regards living expenses, etc.) similar (to those of their husbands) over them (as regards obedience and respect, etc.) to what is reasonable, but men have a degree (of responsibility) over them.}[Qur'an 2:228]. This degree is that of responsibility and protection, and the husband does not exceed its limits to torment, humiliate her or spoil her right. It is confirmed that the Prophet, sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam, said: "Women are similar to men in relation to rulings [rights and obligations]." [Ahmad and Abu Daawood]

Islam gave the woman her right to spend her wealth as she wishes, and deal in transactions like buying and selling, the right of ownership and the like. Allaah says (which means): {For men is a share of what they have earned, and for women is a share of what they have earned.}[Qur'an 4:32]. Islam has also specified their right in inheritance according to their social situation, Allaah says (which means): {For men is a share of what the parents and close relatives leave, and for women is a share of what the parents and close relatives leave, be it little or much-an obligatory share.}[Qur'an 4:7]. In addition to this, there is in the Qur'an a chapter entitled "The Women" and there is no chapter entitled "The Men". And women have status and rights that we have not mentioned. So when Islam forbade the woman to lead men in prayer, it does not mean that she is demeaned and has fewer rights, but she has rights that are in conformity with her and her physique. The wisdom behind the limitations in matters that Islam has placed upon her are to protect her and repel the difficulties of life from her so that she will be as a preserved pearl, honoured and dignified, is served and not a servant, or a cheap object as the people who pretend to call for her freedom want her to be.

For more benefit and information you could refer to the status of women and women's rights in Islam on Islamweb by pressing on the sub-category "Woman" on home page.

Allaah knows best.

Answerer: Fatwa center supervised by Dr. Abdullah Al-faqih

If you're going to provide an argument against female-led prayers, at least provide specified verses from the Koran (primary source for any ruling) that speaks about the issue at hand.

I have no opinion of female-led prayers, b/c Allah knows best.

OG_Girl   

Nasir al-Husaini, Aljazeera's correspondent in New York reported around 90 male and female non-Arab Muslims attended the prayers.

I am wondering what stopped Arab-Muslims to pray behind her . It's culture or they have another opinion regarding of the issue!!

Salam

Originally posted by wind.talker:

the men who listened to her qutbah

I wonder what's wrong with listening to her Qutbah?

When I say wrong I mean that the Koran has a stance against it..not your own opinion!

^^

Why are you separating my sentence? The question read:

Who's MORE wrong: the lady who led the prayer or the men who listened to her qutbah and prayed behind her?

I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with a woman giving a qutbah, but there's something inherently wrong with the men who pray behind a woman. Why? Simply because this didn't happen during the times of the Prophet Muhammad SCW. Period - no ifs or buts about it!

"Amina Wadud, a professor of Islamic studies at Virginia Commonwealth University, led the service on Friday before a congregation of 80 to 100 men and women at Synod House at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in Manhattan, an Episcopal church.

http://www.natashatynes.org/newswire/2005/03/femaleled_ny_pr.html

Now, let's also argue about whether or not Muslims can pray in a Christian Church - since Dr Wudud led her prayer in a Church. Were the people who prayed behind her Muslims or Christians? I've never set foot inside a Church - and I don't intend to. Have you? :confused:

P.S. Don't turn this into a women's rights debate because that's not the issue at task here. Its bigger than women trying to find a voice in the so-called "male-dominated Muslim world" (as if the Christian world is not male-dominated). Where's the female Pope? They won't even allow a non-European male Pope, forget about a female one.

Where's the female Pope? They won't even allow a non-European male Pope, forget about a female one.

In one hand we have you saying that you have never set foot in a church, and in the other you are talking great deal of the ins/outs of the catholic church. If I didn't know any better, I would say you were a cardinal trainee WT.

Blessed   

Salaams,

I'm all for sisters taking an active role in society and the masjid. But if it isn't in light of the Quraan and Sunnah- what Islam are they practising?

Surely, if women were allowed to lead men in prayer the greatest Muslimaats on earth would have paved the way for us.

A good read

On the issue of Catholics... why do we insist on rediculing and comparing other faiths at every given opportunity. They have their deen, we ours. Lets get ours into perspective and respect the way of others. Please?

In one hand we have you saying that you have never set foot in a church, and in the other you are talking great deal of the ins/outs of the catholic church. If I didn't know any better, I would say you were a cardinal trainee WT.
[/i]
[/QB]

LOL Cardinal-trainee, huh. I thought it was common knowledge that there's never been a female Pope, just like there's never been a female U.S. president. Me and my Catholic-ness redface.gif

Originally posted by Ameenah:

On the issue of Catholics... why do we insist on rediculing and comparing other faiths at every given opportunity. They have their deen, we ours. Lets get ours into perspective and respect the way of others. Please?

Good point but I only brought the Catholics into to provide some context. I'm always amazed at people who criticize Islam and "women's rights in Islam" whilst conveniently forgetting the ills of the very system they're members of.

^^^

In one hand we have you saying that you have never set foot in a church, and in the other you are talking great deal of the ins/outs of the catholic church

IN RESPONSE TO

They won't even allow a non-European male Pope

I NEVER MENTIONED ANYTHING ABOUT A FEMALE POPE, JUST MAKING A REFERENCE TO WHAT YOU SAID.(U MADE YOURSELF SEEM AS IF U KNEW WHAT U WERE TALKING ABOUT)

NAWAAL   

Female-Led Prayers: A Step Forward for Women? On March 18, 2005 Amina

Wadud led the first female-led Jumu`ah Prayer. On that day, women

took a huge step towards being more like men. But, did we come closer

to actualizing our God-given liberation?

This answer was kindly provided by Sister Yasmin Mogahed,

a member of Ask About Islam Editorial Staff. Yasmin is an

Egyptian-American journalist based in Wisconsin, USA.

She is currently studying for a Master's degree in Journalism.

Salam, Sarah.

Thank you for your inspiring question!

Well, answering your question, I can say that I don't think so.

What we so often forget is that God has honored women by giving them

Value in relation to God-not in relation to men. But as Western

feminism erases God from the scene, there is no standard left but men.

As a result, the Western feminist is forced to find her value in

relation to a man. And in so doing, she has accepted a faulty

assumption. She has accepted that man is the standard, and thus a

woman can never be a full human being until she becomes just like a

man-the standard.

When a man cut his hair short, she wanted to cut her hair short. When

a man joined the army, she wanted to join the army, and so on. She

wanted these things for no other reason than because the "standard"

had it.

What she didn't recognize was that God dignifies both men and women in

their distinctiveness, not their sameness. And on March 18, Muslim

women

made the very same mistake.

For 1,400 years, there has been a consensus of scholars that men are

to lead prayer. As a Muslim woman, why does this matter? The one who

leads prayer is not spiritually superior in any way. Something is not

better just

because a man does it. And leading Prayer is not better just because

it is leading.

Had it been the role of women or had it been more divine, why wouldn't

the Prophet have asked Lady `A'ishah or Lady Khadijah, or Lady

Fatimah-the greatest women of all time-to lead?

These women were promised heaven and yet they never led Prayer.

But now, for the first time in 1,400 years, we look at a man leading

prayer and we think, "That's not fair." We think so, although God has

given

no special privilege to the one who leads. The imam is no higher in

the eyes of God than the one who prays behind. On the other hand,

only a woman can be a mother. And the Creator has given special

privilege to a mother.

The prophet taught us that heaven lies at the feet of mothers. But no

matter what a man does, he can never be a mother. So why is that not

unfair?

When asked who is most deserving of our kind treatment? The Prophet

Replied "your mother" three times before saying "your father" only

once. Isn't that sexist? No matter what a man does, he will never be

able to have the status of a mother.

And yet even when God honors us with something uniquely feminine, we

are too busy trying to find our worth in reference to men, to value

it

or

even notice it. We too have accepted men as the standard; so anything

uniquely feminine is, by definition, inferior. Being sensitive is an

insult,

becoming a mother is a degradation. In the battle between stoic

rationality

(considered masculine) and selfless compassion (considered feminine),

rationality reigns supreme.

As soon as we accept that everything a man has and does is better, all

that follows is just a knee jerk reaction: if men have it, we want it

too.

If men pray in the front rows, we assume this is better, so we want

to

pray

in the front rows too. If men lead Prayer, we assume the imam is

closer

to

God, so we want to lead Prayer too. Somewhere along the line, we've

accepted

the notion that having a position of worldly leadership is some

indication

of one's position with God.

A Muslim woman does not need to degrade herself in this way. She has

God as a standard. She has God to give her value; she doesn't need a

man

here.

In fact, in our crusade to follow men, we, as women, never even

stopped

to examine the possibility that what we have is better for us.

In some cases, we even gave up what was higher only to be like men.

Fifty years ago, we saw men leaving the home to work in factories. We

were mothers. And yet, we saw men doing it, so we wanted to do it too.

Somehow, we considered it women's liberation to abandon the raising of

another human being in order to work on a machine. We accepted that

working in a factory was superior to raising the foundation of

society-just

because a man did it.

Then after working, we were expected to be superhuman-the perfect

mother,the perfect wife, the perfect homemaker, and have the perfect

career.

And while there is nothing wrong, by definition, with a woman having a

career, we soon came to realize what we had sacrificed by blindly

mimicking

men. We watched as our children became strangers, and soon recognized

the

privilege we'd given up.

And so only now-given the choice-women in the West are choosing to

stay

home to raise their children. According to the United States

Department

of

Agriculture, only 31 percent of mothers with babies, and

18 percent of mothers with two or more children, are working fulltime.

And of those working mothers, a survey conducted by Parenting Magazine

in 2000, found that 93 percent of them say they would rather be home

with

their kids, but are compelled to work due to "financial obligations."

These

"obligations" are imposed on women by the gender sameness of the

modern

West and removed from women by the gender distinctiveness of Islam.

It took women in the West almost a century of experimentation to

realize a privilege given to Muslim women 1,400 years ago. Given my

privilege as a woman, I only degrade myself by trying to be something

I'm not, and in all honesty, don't want to be-a man. As women, we will

never reach true liberation until we stop trying to mimic men and

value

the beauty in our own God given distinctiveness.

If given a choice between stoic justice and compassion, I choose

compassion.And if given a choice between worldly leadership and

heaven at my feet, I choose heaven.

I hope my words answer your question. In case you have any comment or

You need more about the topic, please don't hesitate to contact us

again.

Thank you and please keep in touch.

Salam.