Sign in to follow this  
Jewel

Hijab: what's holding you back?

Jewel   

To the sisters who don't wear hijab, including myself. What is holding us back from wearing the hijab? To the sisters that already do, I have alot of respect for you, and i want to know what made you finally wear it and was it hard for you?

Some things that may hold a sista back from Hijab:

1-Living in the west (maybe)

2-Peer pressure

3-Devil making you think it doesn't look good on you

4-dating?

You are all wlc to add more to this and let me know other ideas of why we do not wear it yet.

Modesty   

Jewel good luck to wearing hijab.

Secondly, When you do wear the hijab don't think of it as just a cloth covering your head(along with modest clothing) but think of it as a sign of showing the whole world that you're a muslim, that you have 100% confidence that the Quran is the absolute unadulterated word of Allah.

1. As to being in the west: Women are constantly depicted in the media to be sex objects without a voice, something to be dominated by men, that a women's self-worth is only based on her appearance and how much of her body she reveals. Alot of smart western women don't like to be viewed that way- the islamic women dress tells people non-verbally that you want to be respected not on your appearance but the content of who you are as a human being. It shows that you have confidence in your religion to wear the dress prescribed to you by Allah.

2. Peer Pressure: Peer pressure will always be there, but you have to be the leader and let your peers follow your good examples. These are people like you, they can't harm you, if they don't want to be your friend because you're wearing islamic clothing they weren't even worth it.

3.The Devil: The hijab is often depicted as a women losing her femininity. However, there is a difference between sexuality and femininity. When you wear the hijab(at least for me) you feel more feminine, while covering that sexual allure that might have men harrassing you. Plus, remember the devil is weak compared to you. We can beat the devil, we have the Power! We can DO IT!!!

4. Dating: Growing up in the west a young woman or man is very tempted to date, it's the social norm in this society. However, in Islam dating is haram, having boy/girl friend is haram, you're either married or not.Yet must of us have or are dating now, our mentality is how else will we find a mate. But, we should refrain from this because it is unacceptable to ALLAh, plus allah is the one who has the power to give success and good fortunes in this world and the next(may we all go there). Another thing about dating is that it's a never ending cycle, and the main blame is the media. The media tells us that Mr/Ms. Wonderful should look this way, have this and that, and other unrealistic characteristics.So people are constantly moving to the next boy/girl friend in line, it's just not worth it. I think what Allah destined for you will never be delayed.

Asalaamu Alaykum and Power to our people!! :cool:

SuNsHyNe   

I wear hijab, its one of the best things I've done right in my life. People have soo much respect for you in the work area, shopping and everywhere else!!

I personally think that wearing the hijab makes you look more pretty, and believe me girls guys find this soo mysterious!

and believe me girls guys find this soo mysterious!

Sunshine you hit the nail on its head Madam

UnHijabified sisters walaalayaal please get with a Program

I know in the west you are in a difficult situation

For society are putting you in a state of confusion

Some men and women walk past you making degrading comments

Like if you are oppressed caged bird without happiness

These folks are jealous of your intelligence

They wish to have your charming innocence

Sometimes the sun hits 100 degrees you are feeling uncomfortably hot

Gasping for a breath of fresh breeze to ease your disheartment

The hereafter you could be sitting pretty in a shade

Whilst those that mocked you on earth could be in a horrific state without any aid

Unhijabified sisters don’t miss out an opportunity of a lifetime

Because Hijaab is not a piece of cloth that’s lame

But a cloth encapsulating beauty and respect

So say no to being an object of pleasure for men’s lust

But Yes to liberating your womanhood and attaining Taqwah

For Paradise is so near for the those who fear Allaah

Life on this earth is a one-time show

Play a starring role from now.

Peace out, Mujahid.

As a woman who previously wore hijab before, I don't think any of the reasons you gave are the reasons why I don't wear it now. I don't think there is anything holding me back necessarily. I just think that some people base a woman's faith by the hijab she wears on her head, and I don't think that is right.

I think that people symbolize respect with the hijab, as if to say someone who doesn't wear the hijab is not respected. You should still demand respect regardless of a scarf on your head and should not let men get away with it.

There are many women out their with more spirituality than those who observe the technicalities of the religion, like the hijab. Then again, that is just my personal opinion!

Bambina   

Salam to all of you guyz ,I started wearing the hijab since this summer after long months of deep thoughts.It wasnt that hard because I had prepared myself by wearing a simple scarf then I switched to the hijab.Now ,I feel like a true muslimah since I wore it and believe me if some people say that you're not bautiful , dont even care about that because ur only making yourself beautiful for Allah.

bilan   

salaam

if one believes that hijab is must for women, then it will be easy for them to wear it. but then you must bear in mind that if you live in the west is not easy, it is more difficult to get a job, people will stare at you, even if they get used to see muhajabat. so i guess girls must be prepared.this is the verse that keeps me going, and made me realize that i did not had a choice: It is not for a believer, man or woman, when Allâh and His Messenger have decreed a matter that they should have any option in their decision. And whoever disobeys Allâh and His Messenger, he has indeed strayed in a plain error. so i guess if someone wants to be good muslimah, she has no option but to wear it, so good luck sis, it is hard at the beginning but it will make you strong.

Modesty   

opinionated I agree with you, there are infact alot of girls I know that don't wear the scarf but have a high level of adab than the some who wear it.

The hijab is wajib, but we shouldn't spend all our time preaching just to wear it above other things such as salaat.

Peace and Blessings smile.gif

SuNsHyNe   

Girls, all i can say it get used to wearing it now, the youngeR you start wearing it the easier it becomes to wear it all the time.

Apparently they say that "showing your hair in public is like walking around naked" especailly in an enviroment where there are a alot of men.

No matter what, guys always have more respect especially non believers when a woman is wearing hijab!

YOU EITHER WANNA WEAR OR YOU DONT, THERE'S NO PRESSURE..BUTS ITS A QUICK STEP TO THE RIGHT DIRECTION! smile.gif GOOD LUCK JEWEL smile.gif

Raxmah   

Jewel good luck sis, wearing hijab is beautiful journey you will never regret.

Even though hijab is a piece of cloth around your head, it says alot about you -- When i wear my hijab am not looking for respect cause as a human being we all deserve respect and should demand it whether we wear hijab or not.

For me wearing my hijab reinforces my iman, am not picking and choosing what i should follow and what i shouldn't, wearing hijab is part of your deen. Just wearing hijab is a means of dawah, people are curios and some do ask about it, and there is your chance to tell some about your beautiful deen. Any true muslimah wouldn't question the importance of hijab, after all god has made it mandatory for us to wear it. The stares, the degrading comments, being a terrorist that comes with wearing hijab doesn't mean a thing, cause you are wearing for the pleasure of allah, and anything you do for the sake of allah is rewarded.

Modesty, I agree!

Sunshyne :

Apparently they say that "showing your hair in public is like walking around naked" especailly in an enviroment where there are a alot of men.

I totally disagree. Walking around without your hijab is not like walking around naked. I think we're taking this a little too far, don't you think? Cause you are insinuating that people who don't wear it are in fact walking around naked.

Khayr   

By OPINIONATED (

from the Is hijab Compulsory thread)

Allah (s.a.w) said that His book is the COMPLETE book...and in this case, if you look CLOSELY at the ayaat...
it doesn't say cover the hair
just the neck and the bosom. So don't sit there and tell me you see otherwise....

brother, YOU watch the tone you take with me next time..obviously you have some issues with me because I ask QUESTIONS and
I say what I think.
If that is a problem to you, well...you know where to shove it
:)

Where on that ayaat does it include the covering of the hair?

Funny thing is...there are so many rules and restrictions in the hadith and from the madhabs than there is in the Koran...so Excuse me for having doubts about HUMAN ERROR! My faith is in GOD..the unseen..not scholars who came centuries after!

But just to make it EXTRA EXTRA clear to you....I AM NOT AGAINST HIJAB

So where in my previous statements did I come to a conclusion about anything? Can you find it for me? let me know..cuz I think you are putting words in my mouth again....tsk tsk tsk!

and the Summation of Opinionated's arguments

As a woman who previously wore hijab before, I don't think any of the reasons you gave are the reasons why I don't wear it now.
I don't think there is anything holding me back necessarily. I just think that some people base a woman's faith by the hijab she wears on her head, and I don't think that is right.

That's where I stand at the moment...I've been a muslim all my life and I suggest that you don't treat me as if I just stepped into it today, ok?

Opinionated, Allah (swt) says in the Quran, translated,

" it is not for a believer, man or women, when Allah and His Messenger have decreed a matter that they should have any option in their decion. And whoever disobeys Allah and His Messenger, he was indeed in plain error."

surah Al-Ahzab verse 36.

if you dont do something thats ordained on u, no need to go on shred of excuses, instead u should be in deep shame n prying for Allah to increase your faith.

this is an advice and not in anyway meant to insult you, but it's just that i see u doing the same thing over n over again.

wasalam

Jewel   

Thank you everyone, for your insight on this matter, I appreciate it. A lot of you have raised very good points, and i'm glad to see so many of you already wearing it, without any problems.

The thing is for me, I used to wear it a long time ago as a kid and I took it off, not fully understanding the importance of it. Now lately I have been thinking about wearing it again, but I just wanted to be fully committed so that I would never take it off again. Inshallah, I hope God makes the decision easier for me.

p.s.-pls don't use this post to attack others about their beliefs on hijab, it's meant to be for education not persecution.

salam