Sign in to follow this  
Ismahaan

somalia for sale

^ you right sxb. From legal point of view Kenya can start exploring any time they want. They got all they wanted and thanks to these illiterate 1diots (wasiir kusheega). Caamo wax u dirso wa kaas!

N.O.R.F   

WTF!

These ministers are as blind as bats!

Paragon, do let us know your findings. Your report will need to be sent to the TFG stressing either a non-submission to the UN or a submission disagreeing that there is a dispute at all. I would argue that the MOU was signed by the wrong person thus making it null and void.

Somalia-Kenya maritime boundary MoU, test for Somali gov't

2009-04-11 15:26:04 Print

By Abdurrahman Warsameh

MOGADISHU, April 11 (Xinhua) -- The controversial Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between Somali and Kenyan governments over the delimitation of the maritime boundary between the two states is proving a test for the government and creates deep disagreement in war-torn Somalia.

The two governments last week signed a memorandum of understanding on their maritime boundary but the agreement ignited heated debate and rift in the Somali government over its legality.

Somalia Minister for International Cooperation Abdurrahman Abdishakur Warsame signed the agreement with Kenya Foreign Affairs Minister Moses Wetangula.

The deputy speaker of Somali parliament Mohamed Omar Dalha said the agreement does not have legal bases as long as it is not ratified by the national legislative.

"The agreement between the two countries is inconclusive since it has not been through the legal channels," Dalha told local Simba Radio in Mogadishu.

Soon after news of the signing of the agreement emerged, opposition groups have added their voice in condemning the deal which both states say will facilitate their respective presentation submissions to the UN Commission on the Limits of the Continental Shelf by May as required under the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), because the preparation of a country's claim for submission requires the cooperation of its neighbors.

The opposition groups said the Kenyan government submitted to the United Nations "new maritime boundary demarcation" that takes huge chunk of Somalia's territorial waters thus creating "maritime dispute" that the MoU says will not prejudice the submission of Kenya's claim to the Commission.

"What the Kenyan government want is to take advantage of the Somalia's current situation and take part of our land but we will defend it with all we can," Sheikh Hassan Turki, a senior insurgent leader in Kismanyu told local residents Friday.

Somali Prime Minister Abdurashid Ali Sharmerke on Thursday defended the agreement saying it was necessary for the preparation of Somalia claim for the extension of Somalia continental shelf as cooperation between neighboring is a pre-requite for the submission of the war-torn country's claim.

Under the MoU, both states grant non-objection in respect of submissions on the outer Limits of the Continental Shelf beyond 200 Nautical Miles to the Commission on Limits of the Continental Shelf.

Local radio stations have been holding heated debates in talk shows between government officials and opposition leaders and independent academics regarding the agreement between the Somali government and Kenya.

Hundreds of residents have been calling in talk shows on the numerous FM radio stations in Mogadishu to voice their opposition to the agreement while government officials have been painstakingly putting forward their defense of the controversial MoU with Kenya.

The MoU between Somalia and Kenya would be one of the biggest tests that faced new Somali government since it was formed early this year with its fragile support within Somalia currently resting on whether it wins or fails in the battle for the minds and hearts of people over ever widening divide on the controversial MoU.

Editor: Wang Guanqun

Shabelle   

The thing that greatly concerns me about this agreement is that Kenya is interested in off-shore drilling in those areas. That means a leak could pose serious environmental damage and easily reach mainland Somalia.

I don't trust our enemies, they could even do it on purpose.

Paragon   

Norf, o right bro. Will pass it through though I am a bit tied down by other things. But will do so.

PS: Guys, guys. The right reaction to this is to scrutinize the MoU and try to understand what entails. What we should be concerned about is its future implications for Somalia and Somalis dependent on the sea. That is not quite extactly to say that 'we should oppose the TFG' on the whole. No. To say so is quite wrong. One cannot sweep the TFG under the carpet because of one agreement. If this agreement isn't to our advantage, then, our national duty to Somalia is to 'correct the mistakes the state may have made' through monitoring, and if possible, provide alternative options.

For me, having a closer look at this MoU simply means to lend an extra independent eye to the signing party of our country, and to make sure we are not tricked into signing our own demise. I am sure the signing party of the TFG have had a long thought about how to approach this MoU in the first place, and secondly, how the signing would be translated by the naysayers. So, to assume that they haven't given this MoU it's due consideration, would be a sin on my part. So far I say, you might mean well but the other party might not have the mutual intention. So being careful would be good.

Ismahaan   

Originally posted by Sophist:

I think this is the sort of citizenary action that we can take- the least we can do to make enough noise that the western govs can listen to our concerns.

I couldn't agree with you more please ana list igu dara.We need to make our voices heard and make it clear. Let's raise our voice on this critical aspect for better Somalia. You know, the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.