Sign in to follow this  
Salafi_Online

Interesting!

As I was Roaming the net...and I came across this interesting fatwah, and though I'd share it with you folks here at SOmaliaonline!

Question: Is it permissible to write the letter (S) [saaw] instead of (writing) ((sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam)), and why?

Response:

The Sunnah is to write the entire phrase ((sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam)) - since it is a supplication; And the supplication is a (form of) worship, such as verbally saying it (the phrase), and the abbreviation for it using the letter (S) [saad] or (sallallaahu alayhi wasallam) [saad 'Ayn Waaw] (or (SAAW) or the like) is not (constitute) a supplication, and nor a (form of) worship, whether it be by speech or writing. And because of this, this abbreviation was not used by those of the first three generations about whom the Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) bore witness to their excellence.

And with Allaah lies all success and may Allaah send prayers and salutations upon our Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) and his family and his companions.

The Permanent Committee for Islaamic Research and Fataawa, comprising -

Head: Shaykh 'Abdul 'Azeez Ibn Abdullaah Ibn Baaz;

Member: Shaykh 'Abdur-Razzaaq 'Afeefee;

Member: Shaykh 'Abdullaah Ibn Ghudayyaan;

Member: Shaykh 'Abdullaah Ibn Qu'ood

Fataawa al-Lajnah ad-Daa.imah lil-Buhooth al-'Ilmiyyah wal-Iftaa., - Volume 12, Page 208, Question 3 of Fatwa No.5069

source:

www.fatwa-online.com

QUESTION:

Some people write an abbreviated version of the salaams, which is similar to "seen-raa'-baa'" in 'Arabic. They write "ws wr wb" in English. What is the ruling on this?

ANSWER by Shaykh Wasee Allaah 'Abbaas, lecturer at the Ka'bah, instructor at Umm Al-Quraa University in Makkah

It is not permissible to abbreviate the salaams in general in one's writing, just as it is not permissible to abbreviate the salaah and salaam on the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alayhe wa sallam).

It is also not permissible to abbreviate either of these in one's speech.

SOURCE

This was translated exclusively for www.bakkah.net from a handwritten answer provided by the shaykh, file no. AAWA004, dated 1423/6/24.

http://www.bakkah.net/interactive/q&a/aawa004.htm

LuCkY   

Assalaamu Alaikum,

InTerEsTinG indeed!Jazaka Allahu Kheir....I did not even know there was a ruLing on that...I too am guiLty of using the abbreviations sometimes, but from now on I wiLL try not to use InshaAllah.

PEace :D !

Blessed   

Assalamu Alaikum,

No more 'salaams' for me then. Jizak Allah,oneof those thingsyou never give asecond thought to,but now that I read the fatwa it makes perfect sense to write it fully, Insha Allah. I suppose it's a no more I'A for me too :D

Beard   

Bismillah,

Really interesting and informative.

I am guilty of these abbreviations. May Allah(subhana wa ta'alla) forgive me.

Khayr   

Salaamz,

What is the Hikmaah of these fatwas that u have with you, walaal?

Postives

-They will help people inshallah, to write out the salwat/tasleems and the salaams more often.

Negatives

-People are too lazy, and if I am not mistaken, if you make things too tough for the ummah,

they will opt not to follow that thing.

Example

So, if I am writing a hadith or making reference to the Prophet (salallahu calihey wasilm) several times in a note say on SOL or in an essay and I can't write (S) or (S.A.W.) after I say Prophet Muhamed, then I am telling u this, I will think

TWICE before I write something ISLAMIC. Its just too time consuming...

-To write the entire Islamic greeting everytime, is also too time consuming and sometimes u're not in the mood to type all of it. So what happens then? Well, if I know something about myself, I'd say that I would stop saying the Islamic Greeting of (Asalumu...) and just say 'WASSUP r HI' to people that I would write to.

Inshallah, the intentions might be good, but such harsh fatwas would do more harm then good, WAllahu Yacalim!

Maybe the rule here is that if something

changes the 'MEANING' of that word

i.e. I'A-internet usuage for Inshallah

or suppose u were talking to someone and u said

the rasul and said (SAW)..THEN that would mean

the Meaning of that WORD/SYMBOL has changed and that it is hard to recognize or associate with its original meaning.

Fi Amanillah

Salamu alaykum wa rahmatulalhi wa baarakatu

What is the Hikmaah of these fatwas that u have with you, walaal?

Waaalal May Allah reward you with good

It is not from the Sunnah to abridge the salam , and we All know the Hadith of the mother of the believers, Aisha (radiyallahu ‘anha),†and that which is not in accordance with our Sunnah will never be acceptedâ€(Bukhari)

and Of course we should all endeavour to imitate the Messenger(salalahu alayhi wa salam) and his sahaba, not deviating from their way! The salaf use to write volumes after volumes of books, on aqeeda,fiq,hadith ect… and NEVER abbreviate the salam! Salalahu alayhi wa salam is a supplication and a form of worship, “Saw†has no significance!

Furthermore, Laziness is not a virtue, rather Allah’s messenger (salalahu alayhi wa salam) used to seek refuge from it. Thus Laziness will not be an acceptable justification in front of Allah tabaraka wa ta’ala, particularly when your can “copy and paste†words at will!

Would it be acceptable for us to Call our Messenger (salalahu alayhi wa salam) "MO", because we are too lazy to type out/pronounce the name… would this be acceptable? of course not since this is not his name...likewise the same rule applies to the “salamâ€

Allahu ‘alim! and all success Lies with Allah tabaraka wa ta'laa

Sakina   

Ya Allah; Here we go again with yet another salafi fatwa. Next time that you quote a fatwa could you please tell us that the source is from the wahabi/salafi madhab instead of using a general sunni source so we won't be confused.

As-Salaamu Alaykum..

yet another salafi fatwa

and

wahabi/salafi madhab

Could you please tell me how the above group "Salafee/Wahabee" is different from your groups beliefs..which you label below as:

general sunni source

I await your answer, cause I am confused.. :confused:

As-Salaamu Alaykum

Sakina   

Shaykh-ul-Islaam ibn Taymiyyah: “Whoever deviates from the Madhhab and Tafseer of the Sahaaba and Tabi’een to that which opposes it then he has erred in that rather (he has) innovated."

This quote of yours is the main difference between general alhlulsunna and wahabi/salafi groups. You guys believe that whoever does not follow your sheikhs is deviated. We accept all four ahlulsunna madhabs and if we have slight differences we accept it unlike the wahabi/salafi group who call all others deviated people. As you can see Ibn Taymiyyah believes that only his group is the right one and that is were the founder of the wahabi/salafi group got most of his ideas.