Sign in to follow this  
xiinfaniin

RESOLUTION FOR U.S. INVOLVEMENT IN SOMALIA

Specifically, the resolution: expresses support for a democratic system :D in Somalia; calls on the U.S. government to develop a comprehensive stabilization and reconstruction strategy that aligns humanitarian, development, economic, political, counterterrorism, and regional strategies; urges the U.S. to provide training and support to the Transitional National Government to fight terrorism and extremism in addition to strengthening civil society; and calls on the U.S. to send a special envoy to Somalia to help guide and inform U.S. policy of Somalia.

Check it out..

-Lily-   

Xiin, this is unexpected. Will read it in the morning when my eyes can actually read and get back to it.

Castro   

Xiinow, at the moment, I'll just take an invasion. None of this democracy and rebuilding nonsense. Let us re-make Somalia into a home away from home for the US armed forces. Fully equipped with air bases, marine barracks and even submarine docking facilities. Let the country that took in hundreds of thousands of refugees from Somalia get something in return.

P.S. (Republican senator) Norm Coleman is looking for Somali votes in Minneapolis.

^^ :D:D

Castro, you are right, it seems he is doing it to appease Somalis in Minnesota. But again Senator Russ Feingold of Wisconsin and Mark Dayton of Minnesota are both with him on this. Will wait and see if it goes anywhere. But what do you make of that, saaxiib?

Waterly, It is interesting to see it come up this time.

Castro   

Did you notice the US is getting more and more publicly involved in Africa? Just how important was Darfur in, say, 2002 or 2003? Now we're sending food aid. Imagine that? I don't buy any of it though. The trouble in Chad and western Sudan is getting out of hand and the US needs people on the ground. That they happen to also distribute food-aid has never stopped America. Remember, first come the missionaries (or food deliverers) then come the marines.

And with talk of shutting down Guantanamo Bay detention facilities, this Somalia resolution, and other examples of softer and gentler diplomacy, the US foreign policy schizophrenia is in full effect. I think we're gonna see a winding down of hostilities going into the election this November. If close to the election it is clear the Republicans will lose one or both houses, someone, somewhere, will get bombed. Mark my words, saaxib. It's textbook US foreign-cum-domestic policy and its painfully predictable. Too bad innocent blood is always spilt for a few votes here or there.

Even if Coleman et al. get this resolution passed and anything is done in Somalia by Americans, it will be "counter-terrorism" military aid. As if we need any more weapons saaxib. I say America can keep its generosity.

Gabbal   

I do not know about Dayton, but Feingold has always been considerably interested in Somalia. After the September 11th attacks, he was the senator that spear-headed a sub-committe hearing on whether or not the United States should engage in direct intereference in Somalia. He has also previously called for American recognition of the defunt Carta government. It is said he has quite a number of friends among former members of the Siad Barre government living in and around Washington D.C and the greater Virginia/Maryland area.

^^Feingold is a very progressive man; the only senator Bush failed to beat into a complete submission. Remember, his was the only nay vote for that infamous Patriot Act bill. But on this one I agree with Castro and say this is a desperate republican politicking to secure the Somali votes in Minnesota. A very insignificant vote if you ask me. But every little bit helps, I suppose.

Castro   

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

A very insignificant vote if you ask me.

I thought so too until I realized the symbolism (ironically) of courting the Somali vote. Here you have Blacks, Africans and Muslims (some even claim Arab-hood) in a single community, nay a single person. The Somali voter provides the greatest bang for a campaign buck. I just wish we'd learn to use them as they use us. Sure Feingold and Coleman are after their own interests but we don't just have to be nice and give it (our vote) up so easily, see. They ought to buy us dinner, at least, before they get into our proverbial pants, so to speak. :D

G'nite saaxib.

-Lily-   

I think any kind of 'help' will be useful. It will be hard for them to convince the American public or congress to go into Somalia after the failure of the previous attempt. But then again anything painted as 'Anti-terrorism' will get unquestionable support these days. Don't know just how many military committments they can keep though. Maybe they can find some oil to exploit that would put Somalia on the map permanently.

Either way, publicity for Somalia is good, perhaps someone somwhere will intervene. At this stage the idea that 'we can sort it out between us' in Somalia is ludicrous.

They ought to buy us dinner, at least, before they get into our proverbial pants, so to speak.

lol

WaTerly, publicity is good, i agree, but America has a history of intervening to destruct and vandalize and not to build or help. So I am naturally distrustful about this resolution and its timing.

I also think that it won't get far by the sheer fact that it's initiated in a election year. Coleman may benefit from it though regarless of its passage as he can claim that he tried, and hence it shows that he cares.

Castro   

^ If he's not on vacation or in DC then, I'll drop by his office in Minneapolis in July and ask him the tough questios. Hopefully I won't be shipped off to Gitmo for doing that.

ElPunto   

^NO AMERICANS IN SOMALIA. Let the Somalis work it out if they can with help and military of African countries! How many places around the world has the US shat on and now we're calling for them to enter Somalia again! Does nobody remember the shambles they made of their involvement the last time!!

Khalaf   

peeps...let us see the real picture here...regardless of what the US calls it in its intervention in the Middle East..Africa...Asia...democrasy...human rights bull...this is a conquest...Global Empire Building...the Muslims are cowards...left Islam...for that they shall taste the sword...those who resist that is...if not then bow down to Uncle Sam.

peace out

Salaam,

Let Senator Coleman stay clear from Somali politics, isn't he that neo-con lie-fabricator?,who was trying to nail George Galloway(MP of Respect Party) of UK, but little they knew that short-arsed scotish braveheart,luckily Gallaway put him in a hot water, not only embrass them the NeoCons but turn the tables against them,and come out - a bruising winner.

Somalis is priceless in location,cliamte, minerals, and resources but it's a country without people. Mark my words Son, let them jaafaajirq for a long time.