Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Somaliland and our Arab brothers

One of the most compassionate yet fractious relationship is the one between siblings. Somaliland seems to have a love-hate relationship with our brother Arab nations, we love them, for some reason they seem to hate us.

Personally, and this is my own opinion, I am not an Arabphile. As a Somalilander, I am able to trace my ancestry to the Arabian peninsula. I am Muslim, I am African, and to a lesser extent pseudo "Arab". Pseudo "Arab" in the sense that I am not racially Arabic, but I am sure my ancestor came from that region centuries ago.

Having said that, I am can understand and speak some Arabic. I have even been to Arab nations, and I know a lot of Somalilanders and Somalis who have worked, were born, and expelled from Arab nations, particularly the Gulf nations.

But, Somalilanders as a whole have nothing but a fraternal love for their "Arab" siblings, and all we get in return is scorn and negligence. Somaliland is a democratic republic, not many of our "Arab" brothers are. Somaliland is a poor country, whilst our "Arab" relatives are rich. Yet, not only does Somaliland get a meagre assistance from these nations, but, its primary source of revenue, livestock experts is subject to an unfair embargo.

At this time, I don't wish to generalise, because, there are Arab nations, particularly the United Arab Emirates and Yemen, who are more than willing to do business with Somaliland. There are also several businessmen and women from the Arabian peninsula who are conducting their own private business in Somaliland, but two of the most powerful nations in the Arab world Egypt and Saudi Arabia remain implacably opposed to Somaliland. Why?

Let me take the case of Egypt. Egypt is worried about Ethiopia and the Nile. Well, Ethiopia is occupying Mogadishu, and yet I don't see Egypt doing anything about it. Somaliland on the other hand has stable and normal relations with Ethiopia. Is this not the same Egypt who was ostracised from the Arab League for dealing with Israel? Is this not the same Egypt which dissolved the United Arab Republic union with Syria? The double standard and hypocrisy towards Somaliland is staggering. But, frankly, I am not concerned about Egypt, because Egypt is not a democracy, Somaliland is a democracy.

Let me turn to Saudi Arabia. The Saudis are known for their generosity and the religious role they play in the Muslim world. Saudi Arabia is the custodian of the holy places of Islam. Saudi Arabia has been known for its generous support of the poorer Muslim nations. However, if the Saudis let the oil companies explore for Oil in Sudan and Somaliland in the 60's and 70's, these countries wouldn't be so poor!

In terms of the Somaliland and Saudi Arabian relationship which is nascent, I can only make the following comment. If Saudi Arabia refuses permission to thousands of Somaliland pilgrims because of their nationality and passports, then it is un-Islamic and the height of hypocrisy.

As I said, I am not an Arabphile, nor am I an Arabphobe, but when I see Palestine and Iraq, all I see is much ado about nothing. I am a Somaliland patriot, and I have seen Somaliland's efforts to integrate itself with its "Arab" brothers, in spite of the role these nations played in supporting the Barre regime, the current indifference to the slaughter of Muslim brothers and sisters in Somalia, and still nothing.

As a patriot, I have come to the conclusion that the path of Somaliland's success lies with our African brothers, the Commonwealth, Europe, and the rest of the World, not in the Arabian peninsula. I am not saying we should ignore our "Arab" brothers, but if I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath. If you doubt my veracity talk to the Palestinians and the Iraqis.

Ahmed Kheyre

London, UK

here

Fabregas   

The notion of an "Arab world" and Pan Arabism was somewhat imagined anyway....As for the article, what i gathered from it was that the author is a descendant of Arabs(who loved them)..But they didn't love him back so he is divorcing(no punt intended) them.......

Of course what this article reall meant was that Arab League didn't support their recognition proposal.....but he just had a funny way of saying it......

Ahmed Kheyre is a very very good write.

His contributions are often entertaining and hitting the nail .

But this time it's quite contradicting I mean what is the point , where does he want to go.

Personally I believe we should step out of the useless Arab leauge and connect better to the asian muslim countries such as Indonesia and Malaysia but also other asian giants.

These are our future business partners .

Riyaale administration have already had a delegation from Malaysia , the chinese have been there so we are in the right step.

Lets cut Commonwealth ( I dislike that fake useless pampy organization " who the heck wants that old lady as " queen " again

Arab leauge

99 % its full of dying corrupt nations like Egypt , Saudi Arabia , Syria and so on .

However Yemen is another obstacle to Somaliland

how did he conclude them to be friendly?

remember Egals hasty recognition of South Yemen

the *******s have been mad since :D

UAE....who doesn't love Dubai..

its a nice place to relax and live.

but are the sheikhs our friends ?

I dont know

We need railway from Berbera to Hargeisa - Borama - Togwajaale - Addis

Juje   

Originally posted by SheekhaJacaylka:

Arabs should help themselves before they look others

Which category do you come under the 'themselves' or 'others'?

Dheexda dhuuqso.... :D:D