Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

Just in - Revealing ICG report!

Baashi   

Executive Summary

Full report in pdf file

FYI, CGI is a high profile interest group. One can't help but acknowledge the impressive names in its board of trustees. Take a look:

Chair

Lord Patten of Barnes

Former European Commissioner for External Relations, UK

President & CEO

Gareth Evans

Former Foreign Minister of Australia

Executive Committee

Morton Abramowitz

Former U.S. Assistant Secretary of State and Ambassador to Turkey

Emma Bonino

Member of European Parliament; former European Commissioner

Cheryl Carolus

Former South African High Commissioner to the UK; former Secretary General of the ANC

Maria Livanos Cattaui*

Former Secretary-General, International Chamber of Commerce

Yoichi Funabashi

Chief Diplomatic Correspondent & Columnist, The Asahi Shimbun, Japan

William Shawcross

Journalist and author, UK

Stephen Solarz*

Former U.S. Congressman

George Soros

Chairman, Open Society Institute

William O. Taylor

Chairman Emeritus, The Boston Globe, U.S.

*Vice-Chair

Adnan Abu-Odeh

Former Political Adviser to King Abdullah II and to King Hussein; former Jordan Permanent Representative to UN

Kenneth Adelman

Former U.S. Ambassador and Director of the Arms Control and Disarmament Agency

Ersin Arioglu

Member of Parliament, Turkey; Chairman Emeritus,

Yapi Merkezi Group

Diego Arria

Former Ambassador of Venezuela to the UN

Zbigniew Brzezinski

Former U.S. National Security Advisor to the President

Victor Chu

Chairman, First Eastern Investment Group, Hong Kong

Wesley Clark

Former NATO Supreme Allied Commander, Europe

Pat Cox

Former President of European Parliament

Ruth Dreifuss

Former President, Switzerland

Uffe Ellemann-Jensen

Former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Denmark

Mark Eyskens

Former Prime Minister of Belgium

Leslie H. Gelb

President Emeritus of Council on Foreign Relations, U.S.

Bronislaw Geremek

Former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Poland

I.K. Gujral

Former Prime Minister of India

Carla Hills

Former U.S. Secretary of Housing; former U.S. Trade Representative

Lena Hjelm-Wallén

Former Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Affairs Minister, Sweden

James C.F. Huang

Deputy Secretary General to the President, Taiwan

Swanee Hunt

Chair of Inclusive Security: Women Waging Peace; former U.S. Ambassador to Austria

Asma Jahangir

UN Special Rapporteur on Extrajudicial, Summary or Arbitrary Executions; former Chair Human Rights Commission of Pakistan

Shiv Vikram Khemka

Founder and Executive Director (Russia) of SUN Group, India

James V. Kimsey

Founder and Chairman Emeritus of America Online, Inc. (AOL)

Bethuel Kiplagat ;)

Former Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kenya

Wim Kok

Former Prime Minister, Netherlands

Trifun Kostovski

Member of Parliament, Macedonia; founder of Kometal Trade Gmbh

Elliott F. Kulick

Chairman, Pegasus International, U.S.

Joanne Leedom-Ackerman

Novelist and journalist, U.S.

Todung Mulya Lubis

Human rights lawyer and author, Indonesia

Ayo Obe

Chair of Steering Committee of World Movement for Democracy, Nigeria

Christine Ockrent

Journalist and author, France

Friedbert Pflüger

Foreign Policy Spokesman of the CDU/CSU Parliamentary Group in the German Bundestag

Victor M. Pinchuk

Member of Parliament, Ukraine; founder of Interpipe Scientific and Industrial Production Group

Surin Pitsuwan

Former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Thailand

Itamar Rabinovich

President of Tel Aviv University; former Israeli Ambassador to the U.S. and Chief Negotiator with Syria

Fidel V. Ramos

Former President of the Philippines

Lord Robertson of Port Ellen

Former Secretary General of NATO; former Defence Secretary, UK

Mohamed Sahnoun

Special Adviser to the United Nations Secretary-

General on Africa

Ghassan Salamé

Former Minister Lebanon, Professor of International Relations, Paris

Salim A. Salim

Former Prime Minister of Tanzania; former

Secretary General of the Organisation of African Unity

Douglas Schoen

Founding Partner of Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates, U.S.

Pär Stenbäck

Former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Finland

Thorvald Stoltenberg

Former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Norway

Grigory Yavlinsky

Chairman of Yabloko Party and its Duma faction, Russia

Uta Zapf

Chairperson of the German Bundestag Subcommittee on Disarmament, Arms Control and Non-proliferation

Ernesto Zedillo

Former President of Mexico; Director, Yale Center for the Study of Globalization

Bashi

This time the ICG has put up something to your liking and you seem very happy. hmmm :eek:

I thought the killings of the Aid workers in Somaliland was purely apolitical done by Abdiqasim and his henchmen. But looks like there is a vast network of interconnected operatives. Kudos to the people of Dhoqoshay for their bravery in capturing the killers, that was really the straw that broke the camels back.

BN   

Originally posted by Suldaaanka:

Kudos to the people of Dhoqoshay for their bravery in capturing the killers, that was really the straw that broke the camels back.

^^ :D:D:D

Muhammad   

Intersting!

hmmm... i didn't know the blind could see through hearing the whispers of others!!

yaa tanna awrkiisa ku kac san?

Baashi   

Originally posted by Suldaaanka:

Bashi

This time the ICG has put up something to your liking and you seem very happy. hmmm :eek:

Awoowe waad degdegtay :D . I merely posted informative and relevant report. I didn’t comment on it yet.

Originally posted by LANDER:

quote:Originally posted by Baashi:

FYI, CGI is a high profile
interest group .

^
:D

most would refer to it as a non-profit, non-governmental organization (NGO) but I guess no article can escape a prelude from our chief political analyst here at SOL.
If u say so SOL chief Editor-at-Large :D

Yes ICG is a non-profit and NGO. It's an interest group. But make no mistake this is not your typical NGO. They don’t feed the poor or champion debt forgiveness cause. They deal with political contraversies that cause armed conflicts. I view them as a think tank who have a specific political interests. They analyse political situations of countries such as ours and make ill-equipped and uninformed conclusions. They then take the role of loppyists and advocacy groups and impose their panecea-like political recommendations by trageting key decision-makers (positions they themselves held at one time or another) and their other valuable contacts.

Baashi   

:D

If you read the report, its authors are trying to pull the rug under the old man. In fact they implicitly call yet another reconcilliation conference for they consider this TFG as divisive and provocative as well. You see Suldaanka sidaa aad u degdegtay :D

The main theme of the report was on terrorism in Somalia and as far as that was concerned it didn't disappoint Col. Yey and his supporters. But whether or not that will produce the kind of support that Col. Yey recieved when he accused Col. JAJ of being supported by AIAI which had a base in Shimbiraale, remains to be seen.

It gives Ethiopia a boost to its grand plans which suffered serius setbacks recently, however.

But all that aside, i don't think this report will have any significant impact on the USA and the EU who by now understand being neutral to the internal Somali conflict is their best option.

Baashi   

So u reckon I support Ethiopian plans in Somalia and by extension the Col. Yey's quest for the seat?

^^ :eek: :D

Well, we can say col. Yey is happy for his own reasons. And if Col. Yey is happy so does his supporters (commonsense :D ). And Ethiopia, she is happy for her own long established reasons.

So where do you fit in at this happy moment that you seem to share? Obviously you seem like you are satisfied with the report.

When I say satisfied, I mean, there were nomads here that used to demonise the ICG for publishing a report that they did not like. I don't know if you were one of those nomads but the impression I got was that every Col. Yey supporter hated it. :eek:

And now, they look like they had taken a U turn. :eek: :eek:

Baashi   

^ Common sense that fits in the fuzzy logic many nomads are known to susbcribe :D Yours is the typical and it goes like this: This report dismisses President of Transitional government of federal Somalia his Excellence Abdullahi Yussuf Ahmed :D .

However, it support the fight gainst Somali version of "terrorism". The president is known to exploit this for political gains. Ethiopia supports president Abdullahi. And Abdullahi and Baashi happen to share clan affiliation. Even though Baashi is Somaliweyn and differs president Abdullahi in principle on many issue among them how to go forward in the reconcilliation front, on how to deal with Islamist, how to advance Somaliweyn agenda, etc., nevertheless the fact that the two share clan affiliation Baashi must support president Abdullahi.

It follows that Baashi must be joyous when report as this one comes out for it's on the same page with Ethiopia the adamant supporter of president Abdullahi Yussuf Ahmed.

Right on Suldaanka :D