Sign in to follow this  
BiLaaL

Unparalleled unity in Asmara

Let's hope this Asmara group plays it smarter than the ICU or the TFG.

At this moment in time it won't be turning many heads, but things can change quickly in politics.

If they focus on building a rigid hierarchy, a well balanced/representative assembly, and a sound constitution, in time they might attract some significant international attention.

One potential blunder could be naming Aweys as leader, the US will never accept that, and if they dont, then nobody else will.

I'd not be suprised if the end-product of this conference was stillborn, and its impact but transient in the political landscape.

One more thing, Farah Aidiid has to go, the man is an oaf.

N.O.R.F   

Just saw a report on Al Jazeera English. The Ethios and their slaves have been given 2 weeks by this group. Footage of foreign American fighters was also shown. Be sure to catch it,,,,

Red....I don't think any so called leader truly care about the average Somali in the street. What goes in Somalia is pissing contest between egoistical men who is more interested in pillaging the country or imposing their will on battered population. I doubt the very much those in Asmara, Mogadisho, or elswhere on this world goes to bed thinking, Soomaaliya iyo umadayda maxaa udan ah. If they did wars won't be their first resort and the so called Muqaawama that Kashafa so proudly yabs wouldn't just be in Mogadisho.

Nobody denies the courts brought some semblance of normalcy to the Mogadisho and large swath of the south, but all that was lost simply cuz they fail to understand not all Somalis shared their goals or agreed with their ideoligical stances. Rather try to build a consensus, these men marched young boys into useless just to be slaughtered. Responsible leaders think of the faith of their men and put the nation's need first.

Paragon   

How useful is it, really, to be shouting out 2 week 'ultimatum' when the organisation of the Asmara group is in its infancy? I mean, c'mon, isn't this the empty threats that has brought failure to the ICU before? Maxaa ka khaldan dadkan? Why don't they simply wait and set-up things strongly and then make all the threats they want? Waxaani waa dagdagtii UIC'da oo kale - looma baahna.

PS: Many Somalis are counting on the Asmara group to liberate the country from Amxaaro but rushing into the unknown doesn't help at all.

Fabregas   

Originally posted by -:

Nobody denies the courts brought some semblance of normalcy to the Mogadisho and large swath of the south, but all that was lost simply cuz they fail to understand not all Somalis shared their goals or agreed with their ideoligical stances. Rather try to build a consensus, these men marched young boys into useless just to be slaughtered. Responsible leaders think of the faith of their men and put the nation's need first.

Everybody on these forums throws around words like neutrality, consensus,reconciliation and compromise. We are told that the I.C.U made a grand and suicidal mistake when they decided to take the fight to Ethiopian troops on Somali soil. Somehow the I.C.U could have avoided a war those troops, had they compromised for the sake of the nation in this case. However, I have to find any reasonable argument as to how the I.C.U could have indeed avoided and come to a compromise to avoid a war with those invading Ethiopian troops. In this case Mr Guevera believes that the I.C.U sent young men to useless war, in which they were literally slaughtered. Furthermore, they should have avoided this by supposedly reaching a compormise.

My Challenge to Mr Guevera and others is to explain how they should have built this so called consensus and avoided a war with the Ethiopians troops. What should the I.C.U have done? Become like Ghandi and carry out marches? Write a letter to Zenawi?Write a letter to Zenawi?Have a cup of tea with the T.F.G gand at Badabo?Write a letter to the Ethiopian parliament whom had authorised a full scale invasion of Somalia?

RedSea   

^The Ethios planned to take action in '05. So sooner or later the ICU would face them anyways.

Mr. Che,

Walal kaba soo qaad in aan isku raacnay in ayna jirin cid soomaliya umaqan ama se ku fakaraysaa.

Maanta laba mid uunbaa meesha taal, TFG aka xabashi daba dhilif group or the ICU regardless of the past mistakes.

Which shall we choose?

Oodwayne exactly my point. Though instead 'two evils'. One of them in my eyez is a knight in shining armour. :D

Laba Shariif Oo Looga kala Doortay Isbahaysiga Xoreynta iyo Soo Noolaynta

Wada hadal dheer ka dib ayaa la go'aansaday in Isbahaysiga uu yeesho laba gudoomiye oo kala haya Golaha Fulinta iyo Golaha Dhexe. Markii la isku waafaqay qaabkan cusub halkii hal gudoomiye markii hore la filayey ayaa la galay doorashada labada gudoomiye si loo helo raggii qaban lahaa labadaa xil.

Doorashada oo caawa dhacday ayaa gudoomiyaha golaha fulinta waxaa loo doortay Sheekh Shariif Sheekh Axmed, halka gudoomiyaha golaha dhexana loo doortay Sharif Sheekh Xasan.

Gudiyada fulinta iyo kuwa golaha dhexe ayaa maalmaha soo socda la dhammaystiri doonaa oo ay hawlahaasi qaban doonaan golaha dhexe ee ka kooban 191 xubnood, iyadoo la filayo in shirweynaha maalinta berri ah si rasmi ah loo soo gabagabeeyo.

Labada Shariif ayaa kaalin muuqata ku lahaa arrimaha Soomaaliya xillayadii ugu danbeeyey iyagoo sidoo kalana ka kala socday labada xoog ee ugu cadcad xoogagga isbahaysigan cusubi ka kooban yahay.

Waxa haatan ka dib la sugaa waa waxqabadka iyo barnaamijka cusub ee isbahaysigu la yimaado si uu kaalin mug leh uga qaato ka saarista Soomaaliya mashaqada dhexdeeda ka taagan iyo faragelinta shisheeye ee ragaadisay ee tan Itoobiya ugu horreyso.

ergada_oo_codeeyay.JPG

Labada_Shariif_ee_loo_doortay_hogaanka.J

Shirweynaha_Casmara.JPG

Ergada Shirweynaha Casmara oo labada Shariif u doortay gudoomiyaaha fulinta iyo golaha dhexe,warbixin

14 Jimca September 2007 - Ergada Shirweynaha Asmara ee Isbahaysigga Xoreynta iyo dib u nooleeynta Soomaaliya ayaa markii ugu horeysay cod gacantaaga ku doortay Gudoomiyeyaasha Golaha fulinta iyo Golaha dhexe ee Isbahaysiga.

Ergada ayaa Shariif Xasan Sheekh Aadan u doortay Gudoomiyaha golaha dhexe ee Isbahaysiga kadib markii uu is qabqabsi badan ka dhacay qorshe la doonayay in loogu doorto gudoomiye ku xigeenka koowaad ee golaha dhexe.

Ergada waxay sidoo kale codeeyn gacan taaga ku doorteen Gudoomiyaha golaha fulinta ,isla markaana ah Gudoomiyaha guud Isbahaysiga Sheekh Shariif Sheekh Axmed oo isaga markii hore u sharaxnaa gudoomiyaha golaha dhexe ee Isbahaysiga Xornimadoonka.

Shariif Xasan Sheekh Aadan oo rumeysan inuu yahay Gudoomiyaha sharcigaa ee baarlamaanka Mbagathi,ayaa awood qeybsiga Isbahaysiga Asmara,waxaa uu ka noqday jago la mida tii Aadan Madoobe ,ka fara marooqsaday ee Gudoomiyaha baarlamaanka .hasseyeeshee wuxuu waayay jagadii lala doonayay ee ahayd inuu noqdo Gudoomiyaha golaha dhexe islamarkaana ah Gudoomiyaha guud ee Isbahaysiga.

Gudoomiyaha golaha dhexe,wuxuu u macna yahay Gudoomiyaha golaha Wakiilada ama Baarlamaanka,waana madaxa Hay'ada Sharci dejinta ama Shuurada,jagadaas oo Xasan Dahir Aweys uu hore ugu magacaawnaa golaha Maxaakiimta Islaamka ee Itoobiyaanka ay kaga awood roonaadeen inta badan gobolada Somalia.

Sheekh Shariif Sheekh Axmed oo hore golaha Maxaakiimta ugu magacaawnaa Gudoomiyaha golaha fulinta ayaa noqonaya mid mar labaad loo doortay isla jagadii uu mudada u hayay Maxaakiimta.waxaase u dheeriya jagada ,u dhigmeysa isla markaana ah,Gudoomiyaha guud ee Isbahaysiga.

marka la isu barbar dhigo labada Shariif waxaa sumcada iyo taageerada ugu badan ku dhex leh Shacabka Sheekh Shariifka Maxaakiimta,sababtuna waxay tahay Shariif Xasan oo xilli uu heystay shacbiyada shacabka Soomaaliyeed %80 ,ula dhuuntay Cabdilahi Yusuf heshiis aan la isla ogeyn oo uu kula saxiixday Cadan,kaas oo la rumeysan yahay inuu TNG-da siiyay awoodaha dheerigaa ee ay heleen,maadama uu isaga dejiyay Baydhabo xilli Maxamed dheere dalbanayay in looga guuro Jowhar.

Sida sharciga xeerka Isbahaysiga dhigayo,waxaa ergada laga sugayaa inay doortaan Gudoomiye ku xigeenada gudoomiyaasha,waloow aan la hubin la dooranayo Xoghayaha guud maadama hoowshii uu qaban lahaa ay tahay mid hoos tageysa Sheekh Shariif oo noqonaya Gudoomiyaha Isbahaysiga.

Ergada wax dooraneysa waxaa ka soo dhexmuuqda Sheekha ay Mareykanka ku dareen liiska argagixisada ee Xasan Dahir Aweys ,iyadoo ay muuqato inuusan ka mid noqon labada Gudoomiye ee ugu sareeya Isbahaysiga Xoreynta Soomaaliya ee lagu dhidbay Ereteria.

Waxaa lagu wadaa in ergada loo qabto xaflad weyn oo lagu gabagabeeynayo Shirweynaha guusha ku dhamaaday, wuxuuna qorshahu yahay in 8:30 aroornimo bilaabato doorashada gudoomiye ku xigeenada si, Madaxweynaha dalka Ereteria Mr Affewark shirka ugu xiro garabyada Somalida.

Marka shirweynaha la xiro, wuxuu Gudoomiyaha golaha fulinta dooranayaa,xoghayeyaashiisa,sida Xoghayaha arrimaha dibada, arrimaha gudaha, difaaca, dhaqaalaha, diinta, arrimaha bulshada, jaaliyadaha iyo dib u heshiisiinta, caafimaadka, nabadgelyada iyo waxbarashada.

RedSea   

History is being made right infront of our eyes. Allah has a plan with somalis. the dramatic set back of the ICU has beared something that could very well be alot better and longer lasting than before. I am very hopeful that Somalia will be brought back. The ICU needed this experience. And now I think its' time for a name change. Instead of Islamic courts union, they should come up with different name that has more political appeal but keep the Islamic laws as a platform for the movement.

May Allah bless the two shariifs and may they succeed in this noble cause in bringing back the somali nation.

Baddacase, toban kursi oo banaan oo loo qoondeeye dad qaas -- sida aan u maleeyo inay yihiin Cabdi Ismaaciil Samatar iyo Cali Khaliif Galeyr iyo dad kale sidooda camal ah -- ah ayaa Guddiga la sameeye ku jiro ee kursi ma lagaaga qalqaalinaa ma rabtaa? :D

Anyway, waxaan waa iska siyaasad, so don't place all your hopes on them. They are bini'aaden, kaaga sii daranee Soomaali. Tobanaan shir Soomaalida loo wada la qabtay the last 17 years, kuligoodna wax quman kama soo bixin. However, sidaas ay tahay, we really hope inay wax fruitful kasoo baxaan this shir, mid Soomaalida, Soomaaliya iyo Soomaalinimo wax tar u wada leh.

Teeda kalena it is not only Maxkamadaha meesha ku shiraayo, oo Soomaali dhan oo daneynaayo danta dalkeena iyo dadkeena iskugu tagtay, so name-changing it is a must. And they already changed it Alliance for the Liberation of Somalia [ama Isbaheysiga Dibuxoreynta Soomaaliya].

RedSea   

I would love to. Anything I can do to help somalia to be brought back to life again Insha Allah.

Laakin saaxib, I have no choice but lay all my hopes on them. They are the only hope today for somalia. We all have seen that this so call TFG isn't doing anything but let Tigray kill their own citizens in every corner. Kuwani kuwo kasta ayakaa dhaama.

Waa bil Ramadan eh waan udacaynaynaa in ay Ilahay uhagaajiyo wixii fiican ay umada urabaan in ay uqabtaan. That is all we could do at the moment walale gacaliye.

BiLaaL   

Originally posted by NGONGE:
Had you read the piece you would have noticed how lightly he dismissed all the obstacles in their way and decided that qabiil is no more!

Ngonge – I’m not being dismissive. I appreciate the enormous challenges that lie ahead. The obstacles you allude to are real but by no means unsurmountable. The mother of all these obstacles is tribalism, hence my preoccupation with it.

In fact, he had the temerity to assert that the Somali people are tired of qabiil and will not accept a politician seeking support on that policy
!

I don’t claim to have polls which categorically prove the decline of tribal politics or tribalism in general. I’ve arrived at the assertion that the Somali people have had enough of tribal politics by way of logical deduction. There is an undeniable and clear trend pointing to a sharp decline in people’s perception of tribal politicians.

The Somali people have long pondered on the merits of tribalism. What good has tribalism brought the Somali people, except for one of the longest running and brutal of civil wars and foreign occupation? These are hardly things to feel sentimental about.

If I’m not mistaken, your contention appears to suggest that because tribalism has thus far played such a dominant role in Somali politics; the thought of waiving it away is naïve. In reply to this, I say that I’m not suggesting that Somali politics will shed its tribal edge overnight. I am, however, proposing that tribalism is not the overarching giant that it is made out to be. It lacks the necessary ideological foundations. This is its achilles heel. Tribal politics has caused so much suffering to so many Somalis that it will take something extraordinary for it to survive much longer.

If you doubt the decline of tribalism in our society, then perhaps you should question ordinary Somalis. Ask them what tribalism / tribal politics means to the following individuals and whether they’d be happy to see the back of it:

- Ask the thousands of young men, who’ve been deprived of the light of the sun and of their liberty; spending their days and nights in the dungeons of Mogadishu and Addis Abbaba.

- Ask the children whose only memory of childhood is that of the civil war

- Ask the orphaned girl spending her youth travelling from one refugee camp to another

- Ask the widow languishing with her feeble children on the outskirts of Mogadishu

- Ask the tenants competing to rent out, not a large Victorian house or sleek, modern apartments but the shade of a tree!

- Ask the widows’ of Mogadishu whose daily takings are forcefully taken by tribal militias; returning home empty handed despite having so many mouths to feed.

- Ask the countless (mostly young) rape victims, both of the civil war and of the current occupation.

Ask any of the above characters whether they're tired of qabiil or not. I dare predict their answers. They shall all answer that tribal politics and tribalism in general has ruined their lives and is the source of all their misery. It is these Somalis, the backbone of the true Somalia, who will decide the fate of tribalism. They will forever curse both the immoral degenerates who propagate it as well as its vulgar-laden practitioners.

Ngonge - The point I’m trying to make is that tribal politics is not some abstract model to theorise over. It has direct consequences for the lifes' of real people. When examined from this angle, questions of ethics come into play.

The time has come for us to stop defending or overestimating the colossal fraud that is tribalism and deal with it. I brought up the approach taken by the delegates in Asmara because I believe them to be taking real and concrete steps towards addressing the issue of tribalism in politics.

^^I wish that was the case yaa Bilaal! But optimism is the mark of the believer and I can’t possibly blame you for your infectious hopefulness! I am catching it too…

But if truth were to be told, what we have in Asmara is world away from an ideal deal in which we easily shed away decades old clannish animosities, as you suggested! The outcome is not the most elegant either---it failed to bring the fighting shabaabs into the fold for ideological reasons. It’s however, or at least its subtitle is, a compromised deal in which the most pressing issue of the current Somali politics was given the priority. It’s urgent in my estimation that Ethiopia’s unparallel influence needs be curtailed by any means necessary. And that is what the outcome of Asmara conference in a systematic way has begun to speak to. I can tolerate the Aydids of this world if they somehow could be used for the larger goal of diminishing Ethiopia’s influence in Somalia’s political arena...

BiLaaL   

^I agree. I don't deny that things will remain murky in the immediate future. My optimism is a long term one. The necessary building blocks are fast coming into place. I have absolute confidence that my people will see tribalism for what it is and see it they will.

As you correctly point out, the new alliance is still in its infancy. Leaving aside its weaknesses for a moment, isn't it encouraging that this alliance managed to elect new leadership based solely on merit. This hasn't happened in recent history. Leadership positions were previously handed out along tribal guidelines.

NGONGE   

^^^I am not sure what the recommendations and resolutions of this conference in Asmara were. Therefore I’m afraid I’m slightly unprepared to comment on them. However, my comments were made on your sunny outlook, and here I reluctantly have to stick by my point. You’re possibly correct when saying that the average Somali is sick and tired of tribal politics. They all moan about it day and night. Nevertheless, when they perceive a danger, loss or injury they all quickly run back to huddle together under the banner of their clans.

These are the sad facts, saaxib. Clan politics is still alive and well. You needn’t look far to see this. Watch how some people in the capital support the TFG and others don’t. Is it truly because some love the Ethiopian intervention and others don’t? Is it because some believe that the TFG will save Somalia and others don’t? Or is it because EVERYONE is toeing the tribal line? Look at that new state recently established in the north! Are the people of Makhir doing it just for the sake of having a state of their own or is it because they believe this is the best solution for their clan?

Look at Somaliland and watch the various political parties there. Our brothers there are trying to sell to the world an image of a haven of democracy in the heart of Africa (this might yet to prove true). However, if you pay any attention to the makeup of the followers of each political party you will clearly see that they all fall neatly into obvious and expected tribal lines!

Clan politics is not dead nor is it dying. It’s thriving saaxib. Therefore, I am sure you’ll understand me when I ask you to restrain your eagerness. Having said that, I hope you don’t mistake my words for ones that expect you not to accentuate the positive. Not at all saaxib. I just expect you to do it with facts rather than hopes and dreams.

Still, no matter how the people in Asmara wobble, lurch or reel they still remain the only visible opposition to the wretched TFG. For that reason alone one has no choice but to support them. Pardon me though if I don’t exhibit my support with a whole display of whooping and hollering. smile.gif