Sign in to follow this  
Truth Seeker

Girl barred from school for wearing the Jilbab

A 15-year-old Muslim girl from Luton should be in school studying for her GCSE exams. Instead, she has spent the last year at home because of a bitter row between herself and her school, which has sparked a legal battle that has gone all the way to the High court. The dispute in question is not related to truancy, disruption or violent behaviour as one might expect, but simply that she regards the jilbab (an full flowing outer garment) as the correct dress “for a mature Islamic woman in public”, in accordance with her Islamic beliefs.

On the first day of the new academic year in September 2002, she arrived at school attired in the jilbab - a long, loose fitting garment that she wore over her clothes. She was rebuked for violating the school’s dress code and was ordered to go home and change into the one of the alternative uniform options that was offered for its high proportion of Muslim students - the traditional shalwar kameez. However despite this, she insisted upon wearing the jilbab, a matter she considered as fard (an Islamic obligation) and therefore as important to her as her prayers. The school informed her that she could not attend her lessons unless she chose an approved uniform.

Last week saw her case come before the High Court in London, where the arguments for and against wearing the jilbab in school were aired. A representative for the School had argued that they were a multi-cultural and multi-faith secular school, which permitted Muslim girls to wear trousers, skirts or traditional shalwar kameez. It was argued that young woman had not been excluded but she had chosen to stay away. The school also stated that girls could rely on the school policy to ‘resist’ pressures that could be brought upon them to wear the jilbab. Further, it was said there would be the risk of division if the jilbab were to be adopted. This could lead to two classes of people - those who wore jilbab and those who wore shalwar kameez, with those wearing the jilbab being regarded as ‘better Muslims.’ In addition concerns were raised on health and safety grounds - namely the dangers of “slipping or tripping” while wearing the jilbab. The school argued that if an accident were to occur, it would be no defence to say the school had allowed pupils to exercise their human rights.

This case highlights to the Muslim community a clear dilemma that is faced not just in schools, but also in the workplace and wider society. As Muslims become increasingly aware of their religion and identity, they are beginning to understand the fact that many of the practical principles of Islam contradict with established norms and values of western society. These include not only dress code, but also issues as broad ranging as educational curricula, personal conduct, rites of citizenship, political participation, and contract law to name but a few.

What is of note about this particular case is the weakness and glaring contradictions that appear within the arguments presented by the school authorities. For example, if wearing a jilbab risked creating a ‘division’ or ‘judgement about piety’ with those girls who chose not to wear it, then why could not the same distinction be drawn for those who chose to wear the hijab (headscarf) and those who do not, or those who elect the shalwar kameez instead of trousers? Wider still than the Muslim community, why is the same risk not highlighted about the Sikhs who chose to wear the turban and those who do not, or the Jews who wear the skull-cap and those who do not?

With respect to the fear of the jilbab being a risk to health and safety, are not those who wear long skirts or sport the current trend of extra-long baggy trousers, just as likely to trip over? Additionally, the jilbab is not a new phenomena limited to Britain, it is standard attire worn by millions of Muslim women throughout the world. These women go about their daily chores and activities without any greater risk to health and safety than their western counterparts.

The clear fact is that all the arguments brought against pupils in school wearing the jilbab are baseless and self-contradictory. The notion of banning the jilbab in school is nothing other than a direct attack against Islamic values, the reasons for which go far deeper than what is professed. It is not the garment itself that is the subject of the attack, but rather the thought and belief behind the decision to wear it, which is being challenged. The arguments presented are nothing but a thinly veiled attack against that which would motivate a young Muslim student to decide to wear Islamic attire.

This is especially important since we find these arguments being made by the school itself. Schools and schoolteachers often see themselves as guardians of liberal secular values, whose duty is to impart their elevated beliefs into their students. However, the growing shift in the Muslim mindset towards ideological Islam, a belief that establishes the worship of a Creator and manifests in both personal and public life, not only contradicts the core values of a secular establishment but also poses as a real threat for them.

This is why outward signs of adherence to Islam, especially by Muslim girls who are seen as ‘oppressed’, very often agitate schools into taking punitive measures to force adherence to the western values. However, by taking such oppressive measures and justifying them with weak and baseless excuses, the defenders of ‘liberal ideals’ have miserably failed to win the intellectual struggle.

The firm stance that this brave young Muslim woman has taken for the sake of preserving her Islamic identity is to be commended, and is no doubt a strong indication of the growing revival of Islam in Britain and throughout the West.

Nazia Jalali

hmmm..interesting! I agree with the school... if there are provisions to dress islamically and cover sufficiently(as per standarn muslim standards), thats well and good. I dont think its appropropriate to let every student dress as they please. Jalbaab is not a religious requirement, hijaab is. There has to be some kind of uniformity among the pupils of the school. Wearing a jalbaab completely ignores that. Its like wearing a new garment all on its own. I think that any religious clothes worn should improvise with the school uniform. Thats how teachers distinguish their pupil.

Besides its only till you finish your GCSE's that you wear uniform...and most girls are under 16 at this stage.

The notion of banning the jilbab in school is nothing other than a direct attack against Islamic values, the reasons for which go far deeper than what is professed. It is not the garment itself that is the subject of the attack, but rather the thought and belief behind the decision to wear it, which is being challenged

^^^ Used and over-abused criticism.

Salaan...

Originally posted by Seven of Nine:

Hijaab is the normal covering of female 'cawra'. Jalbaab is a specific type of hijaab...thats a little on the extreme end.

Sax! Spot on, sister.

Since most of our old sisters {and brothers too} do not read much, they automatically believe whatever uttered from the pulpit, including the jilbaab issue. Perhaps we've discovered the true meanings of our religion in the '80s since before that none of our sisters wore this imported version of garment.

It all started in 1988, when few started wearing, possibly those who bought without questioning the Sacuudi version of Islam and nothing else.

Now, all of sudden, it exploded, and some even going as far as considering those who opt not to wear jilbaab as not "proper" Muslims.

To me, personally, jilbaab and garbasaar--or any other garment, or maro--is the same--they are covering the cawra parts of the body. That is what it is supposed to do.

You sometimes are bewildered when you see our grandparents oo jilbaabo wato. Ma oga xataa dadka waayeelka ah oo da'da gaaray in diinta naxariista suuban ee Ilaahey subxaana watacaala ku dhibin dadka waayeelka eh iyo caruuta, oo naxariistii Ilaahey ugu fududeeye. Masaakiinta ayeeyaashiin waxaa laga dhaadhacsiiye jilbaab bas in uu yahay "proper" attire. Waa sharaf xumo dhaqankeena dhan completely disregard lagu sameeyo.

As I said before, I truly feel those sisters who wear Soomaali-style garbasaaro than those jilbaab-wearing ones. Keep the dhaqan up.

Men are not exempt too. They are those ultra, anti-everything that is Soomaali; those who are suspicious anything that is considered Soomaali culture, even going to the extent of wishing if the Soomaali language itself was Carabi. That is true, they are a lot of them out there who lament we are not completely Carabinized yet.

Have you ever seen those Soomaali guys who wear Pakistani-style khamiis, thinking what they are wearing is Islamically correct?

Alas, Ilaahey hanoo gargaaro.

i wonder what u wear,

is all about imitating who u love n if that's the Prophet pbuh n the sahaba u try to wear n behave as they would. n the other hand playa, if u hold mondernist ideals ur sleeves, go on strap on those tight levis or oversized fubus cuz regardless, we all imitate something in the end.

NGONGE   

The argument about the Hijaab and Jilbaab will rage on forever. That’s because people have a way of complicating things that are simple. In this dispute between the girl and her school, the question is weather the school allowed the girl to wear something that would allow her to cover herself according to the Islamic requirements or not. If the attire the school requested her to wear was sufficient enough, then the girl is in the wrong and is being very pedantic. If however, the uniform does not cover the girl’s body, then she’s on the right and the worst thing that might come out of this court case is that she’ll be requested to abide by school rules and wear whatever they ask her to wear (i.e. nothing changes).

From reading the above article though, it sounds as if the school has allowed for a uniform that more than fulfils the Islamic requirements and this girl (and her family) are just being difficult here. If she wants to wear a Jilbaab I don’t see any serious problems with her doing so. However, doing it at a school in a Western country when the whole issue of Muslim girls and Islamic attire is on the forefront of Western secular thinking is nothing but asking for trouble. What if in her haste to do the “extras” she manages to receive a judgment from the High Court that outlaws the Hijaab altogether?

Sometimes, people should really think of their actions and the consequences of those actions before foolishly acting.

Wa Allaho Aclam.

Blessed   

Alhadulilah, after some lobbying the girl won the case and is allowed to wear her jilbaab. It's amazing how the gaalos are more tolerant of 'extreme' forms of hijaab than some Muslims. In times like these, we should be supporting each other not pickering over minute issues within ourselves. It's a wonder, Muslims are constantly subjected to humilation :rolleyes:

Anyways, I'll post the updated article when I find it.

Salaams

OG_Girl   

Originally posted by Amaani

we should be supporting each other not pickering over minute issues within ourselves. It's a wonder, Muslims are constantly subjected to humilation
:rolleyes:

Very true, some times you find moslim people picking each other more than none-moslims. Plus those "western" they said is freedom of choice whatever you wear... since u r free to be semi naked people should be free to "extreme" dress ...isn't that logic?..I don't wear "Jilbab" but when moslim wears I don't come and argue what ever is extreme or not since others want to catch our mistakes why i should be first one to help them? and we all know what all behind this...sure not the dress it self :confused:

Salam

Warmoog   

Considering the rights of Muslims are repeatedly being challenged in various parts of the world, I'm glad that some people have enough courage to take a firm stand for their beliefs and their right to practice them in whatever manner they choose. I'm also glad to hear the sister has won her case. It's unfortunate that some Muslims fail to recognize the importance of supporting the valiant struggles of those who've chosen to defend their beliefs. And to add insult to injury, they have the nerve to criticize the sister's choice in hijab.

Anyway, what's this talk about "extreme hijabs" I suppose some of you have been brainwashed into using deceptive terms like "extreme", "moderate", and "fundamentalist". Don't you know such terms were popularized for the purpose of categorizing Muslims and dividing them into various groups, according to how loosely they practice their religion and, thus, how "safe" they're supposed to be?

Miskiin,

I think your criticism of people who wear jilbabs or khamiis is really unfounded and illogical, and it seems based on personal bias and half-truths rather than reasonable evidence. I can't even begin to imagine what made you think people who dress in such a manner are at all interested in becoming Carabinized, as you put it. What evidence do you have to suggest so? Since you provided none, it seems like a very unfair assessment. One that many Somalis (who might know more about dhaqan than you) may find offensive. Also, if the Pakistani-style khamiis is Islamically incorrect, as you seem to be implying, then please do elaborate.

You also implied that jilbab or khamiis wearing Somalis are dhaqan haters, Arab wannabes, etc., and that people who wear garbasaaro and such things are preserving Somali culture more so than the others. Can you please define dhaqan? Do you think the garbasaar, dirac, and macawiis are unique to Somalis? Do you even know where such garments originated? It wasn't in Somalia, that's for sure. The macawiis and dirac came into Somalia from Yemen, and the garbasaar has Indian origins so please check your facts before you imply that jilbab and khamiis wearing Somalis are at all interested in imitating Arabs or anyone else. Even if they were, they're definately not the only ones doing so.

Vanquish_V12 made a good point. People imitate who/what they love and those sources of imitation vary. So, as the saying goes, don't hate - appreciate.

I'm afraid some of you have taken the usual route and surpassed the 'point'. We are discussing uniforms here...not an infringement on 'freedom to dress as you please'. The school, as far as my understanding goes, has provisions to let students dress per Islamic standards. I dont need to stress how important uniforms are in schools. What this girl is doin is brushoff the whole uniform idea, which is not supposed to suit every student but for the benefit of all. Seems to me that 'muslim' has become the new 'black' everyone uses to drive their point. Its quite pathetic some of you have taken things out of context to validate your point. This is a school - with uniform, not somewhere everyone can dress as they please. Not everything a muslim does is right, neither is everything a 'gaal' says wrong.

asalaamu alaykum,

Yasmin, u made some very insightful points, jzk. This whole idea of "saudi imported Islam" and "arabanisation" is baseless. If some issues of deen are new to you and are unheard of in somali culture it does not mean they are unIslamic. When approaching issues of our deen we should not rely on adhering to the ways of our forefathers and "culture" but rather on rational understanding based on proof from Islam.

Hijaab is the normal covering of female 'cawra'. Jalbaab is a specific type of hijaab...thats a little on the extreme end.

With all due respect sister, that is your opinion and nothing more. What's "extreme" to you may not be so "extreme" to another Muslimah.

In any case, the school is in no position to define what is or isn't Islamic. If the sister wants to wear the jilbaab then it is her right and we should be supporting and encouraging her.

NGONGE   

Again this is another argument filled with emotion and confused assessment. The people that criticized this girl (and I was one of them) did so as a result of the information presented to them in the original article. A school claims to have allowed for Islamic uniform, a student at that school goes one step further and decides to wear a uniform of her own choice, the school consults with Islamic bodies and is told its rules are more than sufficient! That’s what was written in the original thread (from someone who was actually backing the girl’s case!). Are you surprised then that anyone reading it would blame the girl for overreaction and being difficult? As for Muslims backing each other up, I thought that’s what people are doing here! You back your fellow Muslims up by supporting them when you think they’re in the right and constructively criticising them when you think they’re in the wrong. Blind support is a Jaahiliyah trait.

Blessed   

^^^^*Ahem, oh wise one :rolleyes: . Criticism is to be based on the Quran and the Sunnah. The jilbaab is considered an appropriate form of hijaab according to the Islamic texts. What right has anyone to detest this? Especially as they fail to back their opinions up with any evidence from the Islamic texts?

Look at this logically, why should the school not let her dress according to the guidelines set by Islam. I mean it's not like she's wearing a niqaab and posing any security threats to any one in the school. There is absolutely no reason for banning the jilbaab in schools, there are many schools in East London where young Muslimas are allowed to wear their jilbaabs on the premise that they wear a jilbaab that is the same colour as the school uniform… is that so difficult?

Seven of Nine

The infringement right to dress as your religion dictates is a concept supported by British law- the race Relations Act and the right to religious freedom require that schools provide access to education for all students – and to respect and facilitate for their religious practice (providing prayer facilities, time of class for prayer, amendments to school uniforsm - parents even have the right to request that their children be excluded from certain calsses)

on the condition that it doesn’t cause harm to the students or others.

Maybe ya'll should look into the history behind the religious rights laws....

Here are the articles…..

School lifts ban

Legal Action

Even the government backs the girl

NGONGE   

Heh. Your first link relates to a different school and the banning of the Hijaab altogether, cheeky. Your second link relates to the same article above but where it differs is in the omission of the school’s efforts and consultation with Islamic bodies (which was part of the article we’re all replying to here). Your contention on the use of the Quran and Sunna when criticizing is void because as mentioned on the original article, the school did consult with other Islamic bodies regarding it’s uniform policy. See? My argument is one of semantics not religions and laws. If someone is going to post an article and in that article already state that “scholars” have been consulted and dismissed the girl’s actions as wrong then people will tend to agree with the views of the scholars rather than agreeing with the views of a 15 year old (note that all these articles did not say if the girl had consulted anyone).

The funny thing in all of this is that most of those arguing for this case are using the secular High Court verdict as being a proof of the correct actions of this girl.

My wisdom remains undiminished. icon_razz.gif

** Sprinkle Sprinkle **