Sign in to follow this  
kyz

Puntland 'to assist' NATO anti-piracy mission

kyz   

NATO has established a working relationship with authorities in Somalia's semi-autonomous Puntland in an attempt to uproot piracy off the Horn of Africa.

The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), has identified the move as a measure to target pirates active around the northern territories of Somalia and to help avoid possible clashes with 'honest fishermen.'

"Identifying areas from where pirates may launch their operations is one way to curtail this illegal activity. Once the pirate are at sea in their small skiffs they are difficult to identify from honest fisherman, although working closely with our allies, it has been possible to develop a profile on who they are," the international military alliance headquartered in Brussels, Belgium, said in a statement.

The statement adds that a number of Puntland coastguards in northern Somalia territories have joined two NATO warships, part of alliance's anti-piracy mission in the region that seeks to eliminate the threat of more attacks by sea bandits pestering trade ships in one of the world's business waterways.

"Working with Somali authorities in support of their own resolve to rid their shores of this scourge has shown early signs of success," A Press TV correspondent quoted the statement as saying on Friday.

NATO has recently warned of an increase in piracy around the Gulf of Aden and other coastal regions of the lawless state once the monsoon conditions ease off.

Somali pirates have carried out more than 114 attempted attacks on sea liners since the beginning of 2008, 29 of which ended in the hijacking of the targeted vessels.

Somalia-based pirates have so far obtained millions of dollars in ransom from shipping firms. The bandits claim that they need the money to pay out their tribal expense, while some reports allege that the fortune is amassed to fund anti-government campaigns.

GHN/ZH

NATO: Puntland iyo Nato oo ku heshiiyey Ladagaalanka Burcad Badeeda.

26. september 2009

NATO(AllPuntland)- War loogu talagalay Saxaafada kana soo baxay Gaashaan Buurta NATO ayaa lugu sheegay in ay Gaashaan-buurto Nato iyo Dawladda Puntland uu dhexmaray heshiis dhinaca la dagaalanka Burcad Badeeda ah, ayadoo heshiiskan uu ka soo baxay wada hadalo dhexmaray Madaxda dawladda Puntland iyo Saraakiisha ciidamada Gaashaan buurta NATO.

Maraakiibta NATO ayaa ujooga Soomaaliya la dagaalanka kooxaha Burcad Badeda Soomaalida, isla markaasna waxa ay hada xariir wanaagsan la yeesheen Dawladda Puntland, si ay iskaga kaashadaan burcadaaas oo la dabar gooyo.

NATO ayaa xaqiijisay in ay gacan ka siineyso dawladda Puntland la dagaalanka Burcad Badeeda ku sugan gudaha Puntland, isla markaasna ay ku taageeri doonaan ciidamada Badda ee Puntland in ay qaataan Tababaro ku filan iyo qalab ay ku dagaal gali karaan.

Sida uu dhigayo qodobada laysku afgartay ciidamada Badda ee Puntland waxaa awood buuxda loogu yeeli doonaa in ay weerari karaan maraakiibta lugu heysto meelo ka mid ah Biyaha Puntland, ayna sidoo kale Burcad Badeeda kula dagaalami karaan gudaha deegaanada Puntland.

NATO ayaa ka mid ah Quwadaha waa weyn ee ay maraakiibta dagaal ka joogaan gudaha dalka Soomaaliya, gaar ahaana dhinaca Xeebaha, taasina waxaa loo keenay ayaa ahayd la dagaalanka Kooxaha burcad Badeed oo laf-dhuun-gashay unoqday Maraakiibta Ganacsiga iyo Kulluumeysiga Sharci darada ah sameeya.

Is afgaradkan dhexmaray dawladda Puntland ee Soomaaliya iyo Xoogaga NATO ayaa dhib ku ah kooxaha Burcad Badeeda ah ee Soomaalida, ooo hada isku diyaarinaya in ay qaadaan mawjado weeraro ah, maadaama uu dhamaaday waqtigii badda ay xirman jirtay.

F. C. Maxamed

Originally posted by General Duke:

This is bad news for many in SOL, "we are special" secessionists and the supporters of the Hotel lover.
:D

It's bad news for hypocrites like you, and for Shabaab supporters.

Hypocrites like you will realize incompetent Puntland can't deal with the pirates and needs NATO, just like the President of Somalia can't deal with the insurgents alone and needs AMISOM. And the realization will break your heart.

Shabaab supporters will go "OMG they're letting NATO call the shots, they're a puppet government, murtad, kill them all, their blood is halaal!" (it's a long time I hadn't heard this expression)

"Puntland to assist NATO anti-piracy mission?"

LOL please, the correct title is "Puntland to be used by NATO in its anti-piracy mission"

^^^Now, what took you so long? :D NATO is like AMISOM? Thats the logic of Sharif Hotel supporters. Anyhow Puntland admin run its state, Sharif Hotel runs Villa Somalia building. He is the caretaker of the palace and nothing more. Can the dude even travel to Balcad or Afgoyee? No :D

Puntland is a Somali power and there is nothing you can do about it dear lad.

Cowke   

Sherbel, Puntland has a recognized federal system that is supported by the world. Do u understand what that means? that means if u don't abide by federalism, the little attack that happened in brava by america will just be tea-party compared to what will come down on you if your shabab dare take somalia.

Lol listen the best case scenario you and your shabab have is, take all over somalia and then america will chase you into the ocean. So what did u achieve? sxb in the long-run shabab cant be a threat because they dont have supporters that are as strong as america. if u had russia supporting shabab then that would be different story but all u have is lousy al qaeda cell and eritrea supporting shabab. can eritrea and al qaeda face america and e.u might?

Sxb ur dreaming and u know it. Shabab lacks international support and therefore their life-time will be very limited.

Remember taliban lacked international support, where are they today? u don't understand how crucial international support is, international support decides winners or losers.

Enjoy your shabab days for now, but remember its only temporary. The second shabab is about to take over somaliya, nuclear bombs from washington coming for u and ur jihad lovers.

Duke, NATO is a million times worse than AMISOM when it comes to foreign interference and violation of sovereignty. And if you don't understand that, I don't even know why we're having a discussion here.

Cowke, be more careful when you read. I don't see how I've given you the impression that I'm a Shabaab supporter.

Haatu   

Really funny. NATO is just gonna "work" with NE administration. Plus Somalia has its own Navy. Puntlands former one is now part of it and admiral Qare is its leader.

Gypsie lad, for all your rant, NATO is workimg with the state of Puntland and the state has reached an agreement with the international community to build the naval base in the state in order to combat piracy.

Like I stated earlier one can get angry about this news, but its a promising start and we can not avoid the world powers in any way.

Cowke   

Duke, it's amazing how jealous they are and frustrated at the fact that puntland is respected state by the world, where-as nowhere else in somaliya is even given the time of day. Look at hargeisa 17 years and been totally ignored by the world like they don't even exist. Now that is insulting if u ask me!!!

Puntland firstly is recognized by the world. Why? because the tfg is recognized and under the tfg constitution puntland is seen as a legal state. So first bonus point in puntland favor is that they are EXISTING STATE.

Now Puntland could've of just said i am separating from somaliya and get ppl's attention that way, but it didn't. It went thru the mature process of doing their government system legally. This needs to be commended. Where-as sland went about their politics illegally. For goodness sakes what sort of group of ppl would base their whole politics around 1902 policies when we are living in 2009? Totally out-dated and Un-neccesary.

Second Point in puntland favor. Puntland has been participating in peace-talks and finding a solution in somaliya just like djibouti, ethiopia, yemen and every other responsible region has been. This affirms to the world that puntland is a peace-maker state.

Third point in puntland favor. Farole re-engagement with the international community policy has really helped puntland. The washington score, the e.u score and now nato score. Not to mention the navy of somaliya score. This will firmly plant puntland navy being untouchable. It will have $250 million invested in their coastguard alone.

Fourth Point in puntland favor. It is heading towards a democratic state with multi-party system. Today farole has reformed the government in many ways from local level all the way up to state level. He is paving in the way for excellent governance and institution building.

Fifth Point in Puntland favor. Puntland has spent troops and $$$ in hamar in order to help find a long-term solution with the current deadlock in the capital. They could've of just turned a blind-eye to it if they wanted to, but they didn't because all somalis regardless of where they are our people. For example. Say you have 3 brothers. One brother named garowe, another brother named hamar, and another brother named hargeisa. Say for example if hamar fell down. Isn't it upon garowe and hargeisa to say "I will help u get up" of course it is!!! this is not only an islamic practise but a common sense practise. Hargeisa turned away and said to brother hamar "my recognition is more important to me then you suffering and not only that but He wants brother hamar to suffer more". Where-as Brother garowe has said "no i will help and lift u up, it might not be an easy process, but we will make it in the long run".

Now who is the better brother? Washington house meeting clearly decided which was. And they blasted hargeisa and promised to isolate them further, whilst rewarding garowe and congratulating them on their nationalist peace loving pride.

Sherbel wake up bro, Puntland is the only muslim state left in somalia. Hargeisa is not muslim state for goodness sakes, they make ppl like edna adan a foreign minister. What sort of islamic law says to reward apostates with foreign minister roles? What sort of shariah says to have kuffars live among you in peace like edna adan is living among your ppl without anyone applying the quranic law on her?

U might turn around and bring up ayan hersi, but bro ayan hersi can not step in puntland let alone get a foreign minister role. She will be killed on site by judges of islamic law, that is why she had to run away. But edna adan never had to run away from hargeisa they praise her for her christian roots. Does that not bother u? maybe u need to ask an imam what the shariah says about supporting christians. Let me show you what it says in the quran.

"O you who believe! do not take the Jews and the Christians for friends; they are friends of each other; and whoever amongst you takes them for a friend, then surely he is one of them ; surely Allah does not guide the unjust people.

So let Allah be my judge between you and me. You took edna adan and made her foreign minister and she lives among you in hargeisa in peace and even works there. Is this not befriending? of course it is. And Allah says now you are ONE OF THEM. So somaliland is not muslim state and i re-affirm that once again with God as my witness.

Shabab are even worse who slaughter innocent muslim blood which has definitely taken them out of the fold of islam. So what place is left in somaliya that is muslim state? It is Puntland sxb.

In Puntland gaalo are not given foreign minister roles. Not only that apostates can not live in puntland, it's against the constitution for anyone to change his religion.

Same goes for wafa sultan, salman rushdie, and all other apostates. Those ppl live in the west today because they can not live in their original countries because the shariah will be applied on them. This is what makes a muslim state enforcing the shariah. Hargeisa has failed to do that with edna adan, michael mariano and countless others. Infact edna and michael were influential politicians in hargeisa and actually ruled the ppl.

Shame on you sxb, shame, shame, shame. smile.gif

I don't see where or in what way I dissed Puntland, or claimed Puntland isn't Muslim enough. All respect to Puntland and its people for achieving so much in the most adverse of circumstances.

What bothers me is hypocrite Yusufites like Duke who just can't get over the fact that the current President of Somalia is a million times more popular than Yusuf has ever been and will ever be.

And what also bothers me is Shabaab supporters who think that if another 18000 people die, something is gonna change. Nothing is gonna change, the victors will turn on each other as soon as the "jihad" has come full circle. Signs of it are there already, look at what's happening with the Kambooni group under Mr. Turki.

So Duke, call me gypsy lad all you want, I won't get mad. Gypsies are cool people. But the next time you want to talk politics with me, don't bring in BS like "Shabaab never controlled a major town when my uncle was in power" because it makes you look daft.

Cowke   

Sherban I wouldn't say sharif is exactly popular, seriously bro the guy can't even go to afgoye and duke has a point on that.

However i do agree with you that I personally don't care who the individual is that is in the villa as long as they stick to the constitution and not break it.

We can't have 1 clan be president forever or somaliya will just collapse, we need to share it and that means allowing others to rule. Duke doesn't see the destructiveness of his argument. Maybe duke is just angry the way abdullahi was treated by hamar and all the protests which is unfair considering sharif is doing exactly the same thing abdullahi did. So really the ppl didn't hate abdullahi policy because if they did then they would hate sharifs policy also.

So really the case is simple. They hate yet cuz he was different clan, they now have no problem with sharif even though he is using yey's policies. I think duke just wants mogadishu society to be honest rather then use false pretenses which is understandable.

Sherban imagine there is two ppl standing at shop. One steals and the crowd all boo him, and then the other guy steals from the store and the crowd cheer him. Wouldn't u be wondering WHAT THE HELL?

well it aint no different with yey and xaarif. They both used foreigners, they killed alot of somalis in the cross fire and if 1 is to be condemned the other must be condemned also.

Or sxb your argument stands on no merit and if ur argument has no merit, it can be discarded.

My policy is quite simple. I don't care who the president is, the president chair is musical chair with different clowns on there. What i do care about is the constitution and that each leader abides by it. When they don't then we got an issue.

To many ppl are backwards and think power in democracy is thru president, because they still think in the old ways of centralism. Power in federal democracy is in the states sxb. And the states are represented in the parliament.

The day i will get worried is the day the federal parliament start bribing each other to pass destructive bills. That is when u start worrying because sxb that is where all the power is in democracy.

My clan are adjusting to this new way of governance and getting head-start jamac ali jamac is in there busting his backside out making sure to set us up for life before the rush-hour of other somalis start doing the same thing. Right now however they are to busy focussed on president seat so it's kind of good it keeps off.

UZTAAD   

It is great to see collaborations between puntland government and Nato.

the world is realizing the importance of puntland in the national and international affairs. the international community dealing with puntland and it is realization that Sharif hotel’s TFG has no any authority over puntland territory.

Cowke, thank you for your points, it's been a long time I hadn't read such a well-argued post. There's only one thing I see differently though.

I disagree with you when you say Shariif and Yusuf have the same policies: Yusuf brought in 10.000 Ethiopian troops and 5000 AMISOM to help him get a foothold in Mogadishu, and was never open to negotiating with the opposition. "Kill the rebels and terrorists", that was his policy. Whereas Shariif signed the agreement that sent the Ethiopians home, and kept the 5000 AMISOM troops so his jealous mates won't overrun him, and has ALWAYS repeatedly offered to negotiate with the insurgents. Even now, after the May coup attempt, he says he's still willing to talk.

However, thank you for explaining so clearly why Duke is angry against the current President of Somalia and never loses an opportunity to badmouth him.

And you're absolutely right. The President isn't as significant when compared to all the political interests which determine a country's destiny.