Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

Persuasive, Convincing, Powerful, and Elavated Speech On Race -- Go Obama Go

^^

Fancy that eh, a Harvard educated former lawyer, lecturer and now politician (or should that be icon), writing his own speeches.

If he hadn't been doing that it would be severely damaging the authenticity of his image (which his opponents try to undermine mercilessly as it is).

Cara.   

That's true. I guess it's just that Bush has done such a thorough job of lowering our expectations in terms of what an American president is capable of.

Centurion, the capable, brave, virtuous, skilled, wise, and those of young age were the ones the colonials kidnapped against their will from the shores of Africa in general and the West Africa in particular. They were the bravest and the brightest but after centuries of enslavement, abuse, defacement of their history, and denial of even basic rights, they became weak, poor, and without rights.

Mr. Obama traced that history back to the present and sees no difference ever since Brown vs Board of education though he has the interest of his country at heart and has a plan for an absolute advantage instead of relative advantage.

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Cara:

What's really impressive is that he wrote the whole thing himself. No speech writers!

That's what they all say. He has a speechwriter (Jon Favreau).

The ideas within the speech might have been Obama's but I doubt if his speechwriter didn't have any input there.

You know, the more I see, hear and read about Obama the more I remember Tony Blair just before the 1997 British elections. He too was young-looking, charming and talking of hope and a change in the way politics in the UK was done! Young women all fancied him and young men were impressed with his speeches. Yet, after ten years in power, the rhetoric was proven to be nothing more than that, pointless rhetoric!

This speech is not very likely to be forgotten. He will always be remembered for it. But soon, once the dust has settled and the arguments have moved on to the next State to be won, his opponents will start picking bits of his speech to attack him back with. I wonder what he'll do then? Shout "Not this time." :D

STOIC   

Ngonge,

Remember that even the far-sighted politicians might be incapable of mastering all the central theme of the American quest for better economy, immigration problem, Iraq war and equal education. It is obvious that Obama would not solve all the grievous problems facing the nation without a failure of some sort, but neither would any current candidates promise a rose optimism.. I doubt though if Obama would be too passive or too malleable as important issues unfold in his term. As a firm supporter of his I believe that he will respond to his challenges just like any other politicians. This speech was graciously and elegantly written (whether written by him or not) to instinctively identify with the Black community while not making the white people guilty of their sub-conscious sins. He really seemed poised to bring the American problem of race in the limelight. He clearly made them understand how race has defined power and economic opportunity in America. I’m sure Obama will not bring America an exhilarating time that never before was witnessed, but he is aspired to greatness. To a remarkable extent I’m sure he will try to do the best he can.

NGONGE   

^^ Oh come on now, saaxib. Don't get carried away in a tsunami of emotions. The speech was great but not because it revealed anything new or opened anyone's eyes to the problems of race. It was great because it hit the right note, was carefully constructed not to offend anyone (other than radical Islamists of course) and was aiming to explain why he still supports his pastor.

Don't lose sight of the ball now. He made that speech to defend himself (and in a round about way, his pastor) from all the accusations that were levelled at him. It was clever, forceful and enjoyable to listen to (and read). It was not the mother of all speeches about race. In fact, I don't believe many people would remember much about it in a few months time. What they will remember is that Obama once gave a knock out speech about race; they wont remember what it contained. It was a speech made by a man trying to become an American president. It was not in the same league as the 'I Have a Dream' speech or even 'The Ballot Or Bullet' one! ;)

N.O.R.F   

You know, the more I see, hear and read about Obama the more I remember Tony Blair just before the 1997 British elections.

Exactly what I was thinking when watching that speech. All he needs to do now is play 'soccer' with his kids and have it beamed on all the News Hours :D

The speech was OK. He simply said what people have been afriad to say in the past. A clever speech at a good time.

Fabregas   

quote:posted January 04,

This guy reminds me of Tony Blair, talented af minshaar. I predict this will be the reason he loses.....

Ironically, I also said the above a while back...........

NGONGE   

^^ I see you're a paid up member of the Alanis Morissette school of irony. :D

Isn't it ironic... don't you think...