Sign in to follow this  
Jumatatu

Ex-Somali leader sued for war crimes

Jumatatu   

The former prime minister of Somalia, now a resident of Virginia, was sued Thursday for allegedly allowing war crimes and other human rights abuses to be committed in the 1980s....A similar lawsuit was filed against a former Somali Army battalion commander who allegedly carried out and supervised killings, torture and beatings. He also lives in Virginia.

...One of the lawsuits says that between 1980 and 1990, the government engaged in torture, killings and rape as part of a pattern "of systematic human rights violations against the civilian population of Somalia.....Mohamed Ali Samatar was Barre's defense minister from 1980 to 1987 and prime minister from 1987 to 1990, and therefore exerted control over the country's armed forces, according to the lawsuit....The other lawsuit, against battalion commander Yusuf Abdi Ali, alleges that he participated in and oversaw beatings and torture of civilians, including beatings of a pregnant woman who miscarried as a result. That woman, who spent six years in prison, is one of the plaintiffs

read more on.. Ex-Somali leader sued for war crimes

Could this open the flood gates for more similar cases..?

Am thinking of suing Smithwestern, nationalist for propogating, endorsing and verbally supporting crimes against humanity in Somalia.. :D . I will be following the outcome of this case of Samatar and then consult legal advisers to bring Smith and co. to International court... :D

Rahima   

^ :D , poor smith, how i'd hate to be in his shoes.

But Jamatatu, give up on suing Smith, the man is well connected :D , with CY and Caato as adeer and abti respectively, and Caydiid Jr as a cousin, your wasting your time. Just to avoid the wrath of Smith, I must confess that like him, I too am well connected and I tell you, we are untouchable and beyond Somali justice (but me is innocent anyway icon_razz.gif:D ).

As for the topic at hand, this is wrong; Muslims should never seek justice against one another in a kufaar court. If justice cannot be achieved in an Islamic court, then there is always the day of judgement. To do such a thing (sue a Muslim in a gaalo court) is to put your Islam in danger.

OG_Girl   

I agree with you Gadiid, Justice is Justice. I was reading couple of years ago when I was so intrested for my Fiqh project in University , using none-muslims forces to remove unjustice from So called Muslim forces ( Saddam's force) . and I was reading from a lot of sources and different Schools of Fiqh that ( we can even use Satan him self to remove unjustice). Why wait in judgment day when Allah him self said ( khezyon fe donya, wa 3adabon fel akherah)!!!??..they have to be humilated in this life and Hell afterhere.

About Smith, Jumatatu and Rahima, you are evils leave my cousin Smith dee, He is just talking , he never committed any crimes ( I hope so ) :D:D .

Salam

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Rahima:

As for the topic at hand, this is wrong; Muslims should never seek justice against one another in a kufaar court. If justice cannot be achieved in an Islamic court, then there is always the day of judgement. To do such a thing (sue a Muslim in a gaalo court) is to put your Islam in danger.

Heh. Muslims shouldn’t kill each other either, sister. ;)

It’s a crazy world with no rules at all. Those that have been wronged over twenty years ago are still bitter about it and will not let go. I’m neutral on this issue since I have not been around when any of this took place and what happened in Somalia twenty years ago is not different to me to what happened in Nicaragua or Lebanon. However, I can’t understand what pleasure or compensation will the plaintiffs derive from getting these guys punished in an American court. I’m assuming the victims want to see their oppressors punished but, I somehow feel that the punishment they seek is much more severe than a fine or a prison sentence! Will the US courts oblige? Will this quench their thirst for revenge?

Gediid   

This article from AP is a better read.The outcome will most likely be the same but I doubt if thats what the victims are looking for.From what I know Samater is in a better position financially but the second dude is just a security guard at the local DMV(Dept of Motor Vehicles)

Read on

Former Somali Prime Minister [Ali Samater] Sued For War Crimes

MATTHEW BARAKAT

Associated Press

ALEXANDRIA, Va. - The former prime minister of Somalia, now a resident of northern Virginia, was sued Thursday in federal court by victims who allege he perpetrated war crimes and other human rights abuses during the regime of dictator Siad Barre.

One of the lawsuit's plaintiffs lives in Atlanta.

A similar lawsuit was filed against Yusuf Abdi Ali, also known as Tokeh, an Army battalion commander in Somalia who allegedly carried out and supervised killings, torture and beatings in the mid- to late-1980s, during the latter years of the Barre regime. Abdi Ali now lives in Alexandria.

The lawsuits were filed by a human-rights group called the Center for Justice and Accountability on behalf of torture survivors and relatives of those killed by the regime. The suits seek unspecified damages.

Mohamed Ali Samatar, who now lives in Fairfax, was Barre's defense minister from 1980 to 1987 and prime minister from 1987 to 1990, and therefore exerted control over the country's armed forces, according to the lawsuit.

As a high-ranking government official, Ali Samatar "permitted persons or groups acting in coordination with the Armed Forces ... to commit human rights abuses."

Between 1980 and 1990, the government engaged in torture, killings and rape as part of a pattern "of systematic human rights violations against the civilian population of Somalia and contrary to the law and customs of war," the lawsuit alleges.

Plaintiff Bashe Abdi Yousuf lives in Atlanta. In 1982, living in Somalia, he was charged with high treason and sentenced to 20 years in prison, spending 6 1/2 years in prison in solitary confinement and subsisting on twice-daily rations of gruel, according to the lawsuit.

When he was arrested, he was twice administered electric shocks and on several occasions lost consciousness when his captors would hold his nose shut and pour water down his mouth, the lawsuit alleges.

"I was fortunate to survive, but many others did not," Bashe said. "I hope the lawsuit sends a message that perpetrators of human rights abuses will be held accountable for their crimes. The United States should not provide a safe haven to individuals who have committed gross human rights abuses."

The lawsuit against Abdi Ali alleges that he participated in and oversaw beatings and torture of civilians, including beatings of a pregnant woman who miscarried as a result. That woman, who spent six years in prison and whose name is withheld in the lawsuit, is one of the plaintiffs in the case.

Calls to Ali Samatar's home went unanswered. Abdi Ali declined comment without first speaking to a lawyer.

In September, CJA won a $10 million judgment against a retired Salvadoran air force captain liable Friday in the 1980 slaying of a Salvadoran archbishop, although the defendant in that case never responded to the lawsuit.

I got three words for you Juma. Bring it on!

My lawyer is very very good. He is so good, that by the time he's done with you. You'll be peeling potatoes somewhere in Cambodia.

Xarago   

Ex-Somali leaders sued for war crimes...come to think of it those who committed crimes against humanity during barre regime and pre Barre time consist of 2/3 of the members of the new parliament.But what the heck they have elected 'gacan-ku-dhigle as a president. Whci brings into mind birds of the same kind flock together...eh..eh..eh

Rahima   

Heh. Muslims shouldn’t kill each other either, sister.

Without a doubt, but you don’t try to rectify a wrong with a wrong.

Bottom line is, if anyone believes that they will gain justice in a man-made legal system/court, then they are kidding themselves (partial justice maybe- if such a thing is possible). If the issue is one of daruura or a must such as defending Islam, then it is different, but here the people have a choice. At least that is how i see it.

OG_Girl, you hope so :confused: , girl you need to have better conviction than that. Who knows you might be called into court to provide a character reference and I tell ya, a “I hope so†will not do poor old Smith any favours (maybe i should take over his defence :D , you aren't doing a good job girly, you'll get the brother locked up for sure and peeling potatoes in Cambodia :eek: ). Anyways, me is going to leave this discussion, my lawyer ain’t as good as Nationalists and judging from Jamatatus talk his either. Anything can happen in court- even poor old me can be found guilty of scratching the girl next door for calling me something I can’t repeat here- she had it coming, i swear she did :D .

Gabbal   

I don't think there are Somalis alive who don't think what happened in the north was a genocide, but these recent events are quite preplexing to say the least.

If what you want is justice, what is better then the justice of Allah (SWT)? :confused:

However, suing old men who themselves left Somalia for security is truly sad.

Ali Samanter for all he was worth back in his heydays is no better off right now then me or the next person. To sue him for and receive money at the tragedies committed to others is, the say the least, sad.

Xarago   

^^^Looool^^^^^

HA Somalida waxay ku mahmahda ' falari gilgilasho kagama harto'.

Most of those who committed crimes against humanity in S/land are in your background huuno..so stop this cheap excuse of old. If they die true Illah aya la xisabtamidono, lakiin as long as they are alive we will follow them and bring them to justice..rest assure huuno...

'Yeele wu hilmama lakiin layeele marnaba ma hilmamo'

Maybe it sounds naïve, but I think we Somalis should lay the bloody past to rest. Let bygones by bygones and move on.

Every Somali clan has some lads to point it's fingers at. Everybody is agressor as well as victim, notwithstanding that some clans are clearly stronger than others.

Remember! as Rahima pointed out, it's a man-made court. Hence, the judge needs substantial evidence beyond a reasonable doubt to even lift a finger at the defendant.

Most likely the plaintiffs will not get what they want. No justice nor revenge.

Gabbal   

Most of those who committed crimes against humanity in S/land are in your background huuno.

Somewhere in this thread I expected someone to throw that cheap clanish talk at me, so rest assure Xarago I'm neither fazed nor fettered.

I happen to think that your actions are but your actions and should not be judged according to your great-great......great-grandfather or anyone else who might have sprung from him :rolleyes:

Anyways Ali Samantar is not from my "background" (assuming you mean qabiil-wise) and so as such you can see the "diversity" in the people who held power before and so therefore don't relegate it only towards a certain qabiil..

I reiterate what I said before, which is that I think this action that is being talked about is sad and are from greedy personalities seeking to gain from the unfortunate circumstances that took place in the north.

p.s If suing is the new mode of the day, maybe I should file one with the International Criminal Court against The President of the "Somaliland Republic" for his crimes against humanity concerning the innocent inhabitants of the Northwestern regions of Somalia.