Sign in to follow this  
Nationalist

Somalia - Importance of solar cookers

2164258_30b606f7ea_m.jpg

Woman preparing food on a solar cooker in Bosaso, Bari region

Horn Relief has imported several solar cooker from China. The cooker's parabolic mirrors are made of cast iron with a highly reflective aluminium tape comprising the reflective surface. This tape has proved to be durable, but it could be easily repaired should it be necessary. Each cooker weighs about 80 kilograms. This means the cookers are heavy and so stable in high winds and they are also sturdy. The large reflecting area, 1.5 square meters in the one shown in the photo, means that in bright sunshine the cooker is about as fast as cooking on a charcoal fire and more convenient. Cookers with a mirror area of 2.0 and 2.5 square meters are also manufactured. The cooker can be turned on its verical axis and screw mechanism allows the tilt of the mirror to be easily adjusted. Moving the cooker to track the sun therefore only takes a few seconds.

The cooker's design means that people actually like to use it. This is in contrast to some cooker designs which require people to change their usual daily routine, something which people often cannot easily do.

The cookers are very price competitive. For information about purchasing a cooker please contact Fatima Jibrell at Horn Relief. Her email address is fjibrell@yahoo.com

For more info visit: http://www.hornrelief.org/index.html

raula   

I had the privilege to meet this extraordinary conservationist (Fadumo Jibril) several times on her visits to Minnesota. What amazed me the first time was I had never heard of seen an existing ENVIROMENTALIST let alone a woman ecologist in the diaspora(crude ideology that i had in me-sorry)-it was a blissful wonder for me. I wish you had seen her speak, the loyalty, the infatuation in her work, the patriotism and a tad of despair due to lack of financial and skilled workforce to assist with the programs from her own people and the homeland whom she dares never to give up hope on. Honestly, she is my esteemed leader of the 21st century. Others should follow her example-pure simplicity in portrait of nationalism in civilized manner and a great illustration of civil duty to her forgotten land.