Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

Stop the conflict in Mogadishu NOW.....

bashiir%20araage.JPG

Thousands flee militia fighting in Mogadishu

NAIROBI, 23 Mar 2006 (IRIN)

- Thousands of people, especially women and children, were fleeing their homes in the Somali capital of Mogadishu on Thursday as fighting between rival militias entered a second day, witnesses said.

"Our estimate of the dead yesterday was around 50. Today, we can, so far confirm 20," said a doctor in one of the city's main hospitals. "Because of where the fighting is taking place, the vast majority of those who died are militia and not civilians."

The final death toll could be much higher, "because a lot of people are being buried where they died," said the doctor. He said that over 100 others were wounded.

Hundreds of families fled their homes in the city's northern outskirts after fierce fighting broke out on Wednesday. Some of those who stayed behind to protect their property from looters were reported to have begun leaving when the clashes continued for a second day.

The conflict flared up when armed militia, reportedly loyal to Abukar Umar Adani, a wealthy businessman, attacked the positions of militiamen loyal to Bashir Raghe.

"The fighting is going on. It started out slow in the morning but picked intensity later. It is as bad as it was yesterday [Wednesday]," said a local resident, who requested anonymity. "Both sides received reinforcement around 12:00 [local time] and that is when things picked up."

He said that "people living in Waxara Cade and Suuqa Dayaha area [close to the centre of the fighting] are leaving in droves."

The normally busy area near the livestock market was "very quiet", he said, adding that most of the displaced were heading for the relative safety of south Mogadishu.

"There is a heavy traffic in front of my house of people and their children carrying whatever belongings they could," said another resident in south Mogadishu.

The fighting began on Wednesday morning. It sucked in forces of the Alliance for Peace and the Fight Against International Terrorism, which comprises several Mogadishu-based faction leaders on Raghe's sde. Other members of the alliance include Muhammad Qanyare Afrah, Muse Sudi Yalahow, Omar Finnish and Abdirashid Shire Ilqeyte.

Adani, who controls the El-Ma'an beach port - which has served as Mogadishu's port since the closure in 1995 of the city's main port - is reportedly close to the Islamic courts and is receiving support from the Islamic court militia.

"The fighting now is between the alliance and the courts," said Abdullahi Shirwa, a member of Civil Society in Action, an umbrella organisation made up of more than 12 Mogadishu groups. "There is no telling how long it will go on."

Elders and civil society groups were considering how to intervene to stop the fighting. "There is confusion as to whether this is interclan fighting or not," Shirwa said. He also remarked that there was lack of clear-cut leadership on both sides. "Who do we contact in the Islamic courts or in the alliance? That is hampering our efforts," he said.

[ENDS]

Source: IRIN, Mar. 23, 2006

[ November 15, 2007, 01:42 AM: Message edited by: Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar ]

RedSea   

ASSALAMU CALAYKUM,

Mr. president I couldn't get pass to click the video below, it raises some emotions dude. True somali udiida ceeb naftiinana cay. The problem is that the criminals and cowards who are fighting in Moqdisho don't know that, they only know how to hide behind buildings and fire bullets into the civilian populated areas without thinking of what will happen. I am extremely disgusted with these people, they will pay for the pain and destruction they have caused upon the innocent civilians in Moqdisho.

assalamu calaykum.

"Stop the conflict in Mogadishu NOW..... "

in other words... Afku gobaadsi. :D

Sxb Duke, we all know you are rejoicing it as much as Col. Yey is. Wonder why he remains silent?

^^^ Suldanka what a foolish statement.

I did not expect you to understand that I and my whole family are deeply troubled by what is happening in Mogadishu. Because for me it is not about silly politics as usual but the lives and safety of my aunts, uncles, first cousins and inlaws who live in the city. The area that people are fleeing is where my 70 year old aunt lives. Is that funny?

So please be aware that this is no joke on my part for my blood are more important to me than Presidents, clans and politics. Dont think that everyone here is from one region or clan. I am troubled by the gun battles which are taking a turn for the worst.

Stop the conflict now, only our women and children are dying...

Everyone can see clearly that the only two people who made jokes and laughed in this thread are the secesionist big wigs Suldanka and Oodweyne..

Shame on you..

Wonder why he remains silent?

What can he do?

No Somali is rejoicing today regardless of Qabiil affliatation. This is truely sad day. Qof aan naxariis iyo damiir laheyn baa ku farxa masaakiinta la anaysa.

P.S Why is your goverment silent?

^^Who are you talking to?

Duke

Putting on that brave face again? ehehehe i like this guy. :D

Ala yaa ku dooxa

aanse ku dilin

waxa damacsantee kale

dibadda usoo qufa

Sxb, falaadhi gilgilasho kaagama go'do. Adiga iyo Col. Yey ba fantasiyo ayaa leedin this week sow maha. Admit it. :D

^^^ Suldanka I expect nothing more from you mate. Indeed you are becoming a joke..

Like I pointed out only two secesionist made jokes in this serious topic.

Grow up dude, no brave face here but a grave one because we dont know if the injured and dead could be one of ours.

Who is rejoicing us or you?

Who will gain independence on the back of "the south has failed"

Give it up, you two gave the game away when you imagined I was in the same boat as you. Unlike you I can claim Mogadishu and its clans in my vains. I have relatives there right now, my mother, sister, brothers and my other half are all from Banadir. Indeed the boy from Xamar is closer to me than the one from Adis, can i say the same for you Suldanka & Oodweyn?..

May Allah give us peace and safe all the innocents. May he forgive and find mercy for the dead.. Amin

I'm not sure how the " :D " emoticon fits into such a sad thread. Cuqdad iyo xumaan aqoonsi laguma helo. Dhibaatada Xamar maanta ka taagan Ilaahay ha qaboojiyo. Aamin! Aamin! Aamin!

Duke

Sxb, runtu ma fantaa? in col. Yey coomirka uu yahay ciyaar isrogay aduunku waa wada ogyahay. Hadii xisaabta wax la yara taataabtayna in Duke the most happiest man on SOL yahay warka nagu soo gaadh. :D

Inadeer Odweyne

Abwaan Faarax Nuur waa abwaanadda aan ka helo murtidooda iyo gabayadooda. Gabayga aad sheegayso si fiican uma wada hayo laakin waa one of the best.

Laakin kan Qamaan Bulxan tiriyey ayaan in yar ka mariyanaa...

Baadida ninbaa kula deydeyi daalna kaa badine

Oon doonahayn inad heshana daa'in abidkaaye

Dadkuna moodi duul wada dhashoon wax u dahsonayne

Dalla malaha aakharo haddii loo kitaab dayo'e

:D

I'm not sure how the " " emoticon fits into such a sad thread. Cuqdad iyo xumaan aqoonsi laguma helo. Dhibaatada Xamar maanta ka taagan Ilaahay ha qaboojiyo. Aamin! Aamin! Aamin!

Well said brother..