Sign in to follow this  
QUANTUM LEAP

31 Somalis die in fight....

Fighting in Somalia Leaves 31 Dead

Tue Dec 16, 2:47 PM ET

MOGADISHU, Somalia - Rival militias battled over barren desert lands in central Somalia on Tuesday in fighting that killed at least 31 people and wounded 50 others, a spokesman for one of the militias said.

The violence between two subclans near Dhuusa Mareeb, 250 miles north of Mogadishu, began at 11 a.m. and lasted throughout the day, witnesses said.

Witnesses said the fighters had nowhere to seek cover in the treeless desert, resulting in the high death toll.

Abdulaahi Mohamed Ali, a spokesman for one of the militia groups, said 12 fighters on his side were killed and 20 wounded. He said the other side suffered 19 deaths.

Representatives for the other militia group could not immediately be contacted.

Hospital workers in Dhuusa Mareeb said 50 wounded fighters had received treatment.

The last confrontation between fighters from the ******* and *** subclans over land occurred in mid November and left nearly 100 people dead. Elders and chieftains from the two groups are still in peace negotiations, but after Tuesday's fighting both sides were remobilizing their militias.

Hundreds of women and children have fled their homes in anticipation of more fighting, residents said.

Rival militias battled over barren desert lands in central Somalia on Tuesday in fighting that killed at least 31 people and wounded 50 others, a spokesman for one of the militias said.

when our people learn to talk and solve problems in civilised manner and not the barrel of the gun. Allow sahal amuuraha.

May Allah (SWT) forgive all the muslims who have fallen in this tragic and needless conflict. May he give us strength to take responsability for our actions. Amin

Well where there is poverty and lotsa jaad ...there is no common sense....if the Odeyaashaa r high ..what would be expected of them other than "DIILAAA DOFARAADAAS...OR WORSE STILL NACALAA WALIDKOODA KUYAAL TUMAA... smile.gif

Gabbal   

SmithNwestern the fighting went from a revenge killing of a very prominent businessmen of my clan to land uprootment. Inshallah I hope it stops, you can never convince Somalis to stop fighting. Personally this "war" is draining me emotionally as well as financially.

Horn I really hope you are not contributing to the war efforts there as this is pure madness....Unfortunately though I can understand your dilema. Catch 22 situation it is ...Lose of any Somalis is a lose to all the Somali community.

Gabbal   

^^^In no certain terms my brother! :eek: Any money that leaves my pockets goes straight to a sheekh uncle of mine with specific orders for medical purposes only. However that's not to say that a lot of Diaspora Somalis don't support their folks militarily.

AYOUB   

Horn

Any money that leaves my pockets goes straight to a sheekh uncle of mine with specific orders for medical purposes only.

;):D;)