Sign in to follow this  
Rokko

Muslim woman sues to wear veil

Rokko   

I thought this would be interesting...and let us know what's you take on this..??

capt.1054070000.license_veil_dob107.jpg

ORLANDO, Fla. - Experts in Islamic law are being called to testify in the lawsuit of a Muslim woman fighting a state order to take off her veil for her driver's license photo.

Muslim Woman Sues to Wear Veil for License

Sultanna Freeman, 35, says Florida's insistence on photographing her face violates her religious rights.

"I don't unveil ... because it would be disobeying my Lord," Freeman testified Tuesday at the start of her non-jury trial.

Assistant Attorney General Jason Vail argued that having an easily identifiable photo on a driver's license is a matter of public safety.

"It's the primary method of identification in Florida and the nation," Vail said. "I don't think there can be any doubt there is a public safety interest."

Freeman's attorneys argue that state officials didn't care that she wore a veil in her Florida driver's license photo until after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, an allegation the state denies.

"This is about religious liberty. It's about whether this country is going to have religious diversity," said Howard Marks, an attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union (news - web sites) of Florida.

Both sides planned to call experts in Islamic law at the trial, which continues Wednesday. A copy of the Quran has been entered into evidence.

Freeman, a convert to Islam previously known as Sandra Kellar, wore her veil for the photo on the Florida driver's license she obtained after moving to the state in 2001.

Nine months later, she received a letter from the state warning that it would revoke her license unless she returned for a photo with her face uncovered.

Freeman claims her religious beliefs require her to keep her head and face covered out of modesty and that her faith prohibits her face from being photographed.

Paragon   

Mobb deep: Thank you for the article sxb. There we see another strong muslim sister struggling for the course. But I would like to ask those who have good Islamic knowledge, whether drviving photos are Islamically permissable. I think I heard a sheikh say it is somewhat acceptable to take a picture of yourself out of necessity, but I am not sure. Will someone help me here please.

A Sheikh once told me that it doesnt matter if some1 you dont know sees your face i.e for ID, License or Passport reasons. Allah has not forced the face veil on women...its not compulsory and therefore she really has no argument if u ask me.

Paragon   

GYPSY -- Thank you for the info sister. I thought I heard something along those lines but a girl asked me some questions about this issue and i wanted to be sure about it.

MD   

Nice article

I have two friends they both wear the veils but they have no problem taking pictures while their faces are couvered, but don't know about drivers licence.

P.S. Since wearing the veil is not compulsory, there's no point in the sisters to take legal action

Batuulo   

A/c wr wb

maasha allaah - I saw her in the tv this afternoon I'm proud of her for difending her rights, we need more strong women like her.. may allaah give her the victory Aameen! jazzaka alaah kheyr mobb this Article. much Appreciated

Assalamu Alaikum,

The Ulama' of Islam have differed as to whether the niqaab is waajib or not. There is argumentation from both sides. This issue needs careful thought and much knowledge. There is no such thing as "I don't think that..." in Islam. When you have a question, go to those who know and take yourself out of the gray area.

As for the sister who is fighting for her rights, bismillahi maasha'Allah! I'm not saying I agree with her 100% as to how she wishes to go about dealing with this issue (wallaahu 'alam) but what I know is whoever has the will to be able to stand up for their rights in the United States of Xaar, under such pressure, is someone who deserves "in gacan loo taago". Masha'Allah. To taste the sweetness of Imaan is to forbid for your nafs all that it desires and that includes compromising religion. May ALLAH (swt) reward her for all the kheyr that she does in this dunya and aakhirah. Ameen.

ALLAH (swt) says in HIS Book: "Verily, after hardship comes ease." Remember that...

Wa aakhiru da'wanaa an alhamdu'lillah rabbil 'aalameen

Modesty   

Asalaamu Alaykum:

I hope she wins! As far as the veil goes, I heard its sunnah,or a superagatory act(not waajib), but Allah loves those who not only do what is waajib but other acts as well. I heard that you can't take off your niqaab(veil) once you put it on, so the sister has a case.

Blessed   

Niqaab is not abligatory it is optional. and although I have utmost respect for sisters who wear it.

However, even the Scholars that encourage the wearing of niqaab . i.e Utheimeen of Saudi Arabia have stated that it is permisable to show your face in identity cards and passports. even in saudi arabia you have to show your face.

I don't know why the sister had to make such a fuss. I really don't see the wisedom behind it!

Mujahida   

The view that the veil (Hijab or face cover) has been made compulsory for women in Islam, by which their face other than the eyes, should be covered, is an Islamic opinion. Anything else against that is your opinion ( and don't call that islamic)! :rolleyes:

It's quite pleasing to see that there are SISTERS like her out there. I totally support her. I think she's doing an exellent job Standing up for her Beliefs and RIGHTS like that. She's indeed an example to the Ummah. May Allah make it easy on her. She'll be in my dua's! smile.gif

Masalama

Wasn't there a similar case in Toronto few years back where a niqaabi sista wanted to ride the TTC bus but the driver wouldn't accept her school ID....or soemthing to that affect. If any1 remembers the story don't hesistate to post it.

Ameenah, me too!! I hold the same opinion. Islamically dont' you have to obey the laws of the land you reside so long as it doesn't violate fudamental beliefs of your religion. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see the outcome of this lawsuit.

biG mOm   

Asalaama calaykum wa rahmtullaahi Wa barakaatu

Maasha allaah - Allaahu Akbar, sh's true muslim women, May allaah protact her Aamiin.

<<<<< proud to be Muslim, Alhamdulillaah

Blessed   

Originally posted by LATEAFHA:

The view that the veil (Hijab or face cover) has been made compulsory for women in Islam, by which their face other than the eyes, should be covered, is an Islamic opinion. Anything else against that is your opinion ( and don't call that islamic)! :rolleyes:

On the contrary walaalo. There are differencies of Islamic opinion with regards to the wearing of niqaab. There is no ayaah or authetic hadith which imposes the wearing of Niqaab on sisters. It is therefore, not complusory but optional and encouraged.

Sheikh Albaani on Hijaab

I hate to see a sister lose to the gaalo but you have to detach yourself emationaly from this case. Is America wrong to be vigilant considering the September 11 attackes? In all fairness I don't think so!

And besides, they are only asking her to show her face in the Identity Card - no asked her to remove her niqaab. she can even ask for a female member of staff to view her licence should the need arise (as other niqaabi sisters do).

This is not related but a few years ago in my area, two men and women carried out an armed robbery in a local chemist. The two women were dressed in niqaab, even though they were not muslims. Now, although the muslim community was not blamed for the offence, it got me thinking... how are we to know who / what is behind the fail?

Walaalo, you have to understand that Identity cards that don't really identify an individual create legal loop holes that put both muslims and non-muslims a like at a disadvantage.

And like Tamina said, as long as our obligatory duties as muslims are not being comprimised we should respect the laws of the state - just like the gaalo women in Saudi Arabia wear hijabs out of respect for the Islamic Shari'iyah.

The sis has the option of moving to a muslim country ... but even their you'd have to unveil for passports and identity cards.

Allah knows best... would love to see the out come of this case :confused: