Sign in to follow this  
Gabbal

Barre's brother to contest Somalia top post -

Gabbal   

Abdirahman Jamac Barre is Siad Barre's cousin, not his brother to correct this article; but anyway I thought it would be interesting to read this piece.

Barre's brother to contest Somalia top post

By Eliud Chisika

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A brother to former Somalia President Mohammed Siad Barre said today he would contest the country's presidency at the conclusion of the reconciliation talks currently under progress in Nairobi.

Dr Abdul Rahman Barre said his vision was to unite Somalia and work for prosperity and peace.

He made the declaration as the Somalia reconciliation talks ran into new trouble following last week's walkout by three warlords.

The Mogadishu based warlords walked out of the peace process claiming that the initiative being facilitated by the Inter Governmental Authority on Development (Igad) is not achieving its intended objectives.

Kenyan special envoy to Somalia Bethwel Kiplagat has been trying to woo back the Transitional National Government (TNG) and other groups to return to the talks.

Barre who formerly served as Foreign Affairs Minister in his brother's regime said he would work for peace and reconciliation to heal the wounds of conflict in Somalia.

"We have been through a great deal of turmoil in Somalia. The chance for peace is now," he said.

Barre said he was confident that the entire Somalia would support his bid because of his public record. He said he had served Somalia with dedication when he was in government and understood well the needs of the country.

He however took a swipe at warlords and other groups who he said were sabotaging the reconciliation talks. He said the talks presented the best opportunity for the Somalis" and no one should be allowed to interfere with them."

He said it was the democratic right of the Somalia people to elect leaders of their choice after the parties agree during the reconciliation talks.

"The choice of a leader must be through consensus. But first there must be trust building from the talks being sponsored by Igad," he said

Observer   

Interesting!

All somali war lord has their own version of "unite" which lacks both vision and support from the people. Its interesting how somali people will react to this fellow. Anyways, no one so far has united them; therefore, there is no reason to be excited.

By the way is he a real Doctor, i mean PH.D holder or just another somali dr.? just curious.

TIIMBARO   

I am for eradicating these senseless warlords who, as observer mentioned, lack any kind of vision which would help Somalis get out of this cycle of endless violence.I am for anybody who wants to unite Somalia under one banner. If this man is he who claims to be….WHY NOT HIM?

Baashi   

Interesting, very interesting!

He got a lot to answer for...so is Abdikasim and many others. Officials of former regime, their crimes, their corruption and nepotism, and what they used to stand for are compared to today's anarchy (some parts of the country), the warlords, etc. And Somali folks forget how it's been and how we get where we are...what a pity! Now our hope to peaceful state and just government depends on the wisdom and understanding of these recycled, clannish zealots. Isma dhaanto iyo dhasheed!

This reminds me the scene of the movie "Shawshank redemption" where Morgan Freeman, an inmate, as the narrator of the movie, realizes how he lacks the will to escape from the prison...how he become an institutionalized inmate. Reflecting his friends successful escape from the prison, he says:

"..some birds are meant to be caged."

But I am an optimist. Let's keep hope alive.

Matkey   

asalaama alaykum,

"Hey Barre deserves a chance, i'd definitely vote for him."

OBLIVION, are you for real?

All of them, including Bare, use the changed political climate as means to promote dormant ambition. they have nothing to offer except exacerbate the existing conditions. on the contrary, these people should be dealt with as criminal|| then again who is going to indict them? beacuse ICJ (international court of justice) became a joke. Insha Allah theye will some day bay for what they have done to their own people.

Thanks,

Bakar   

Poverty a man-made problem and brother Abdirahman Jama Barre was one of the master minders of Somali problem. He was the causes of our problem or at least he contributed and he knows that. Our country, which had a bright future and enjoyed fast economic growth in the early years of independence, is now being ravaged by poverty, anger, aggression, terror, and "Violence in Somali society has taken a dramatic increase in recent years. Acts of killing, rape, road rage, kidnappings and some unspeakable acts are much more common today most parts of Somalia and who is responsible? Abdirahman Bulugbulg must admit his wrong doing first. Worse, let the people who want to become leaders remember the reasons why Somalia is facing all these violent and aggressive acts which often take the lives of others, simply over an act of rage or anger that could have been caused ignorant people like Bulugbulug which can be avoided in the future for electing Muslim and nationalist leader. Why is Somalian such a violent and angry society? Many people believe that some of the responsibility for the problem lies with the warlords but who was their teacher. They were just tribal leaders who has killed our society’s moral but never admitted that.

I served my country Somalia for 2o years and I recall all nepotism and favouritism of the parastatal managers who lack basic knowledge of the scope of their work and Mr. Bulugbulug will not, therefore; work efficiently for the benefit of fellow Somalians but …... Remember without giving bribe many ordinary Somali people cannot be secured of receiving services … are we prepared to see like that again and again?!!! Let Mr. Bulugbulug test his individual if he can develop his own potential and help improve himself first in terms of knowledge, before all Somali society. If one is honest then he/she must put his Somali society for the benefit of our society, otherwise we will remain the twenty-first century stuck in the tunnel of poverty. We must resolve to pursue what will benefit our society, irrespective of tribe, and social status. This is the only way we will restore the Somali of the twenty-first century, and if Bulugbulug and others care about Somalia and Somali society then and then …..let Somalia be multi-party not single tribe rule or we continue crying about poverty, civil war but all those are a man-made problems and Abdirahman Jama Barre is the part of the problem we need solutions in Somalia. We need think twice, come up with initiatives, and develop new Muslim Somali society. Remember today April 10, 2003 UN embargo to Somalia, let us think about that!

Brothers ask all this to yourself: Why a nun can be covered from head to toe and she's respected for devoting herself to Allah, but then a Muslimah does that, she's considered "oppressed"? Why a Jew can grow a beard and he's just practicing his faith, and when a Muslim does that, he's an extremist? When a western woman stays at home to look after the house and kids she's sacrificing herself and doing good for the household, but when a Muslim woman does so, she "needs to be liberated"? Why is it that when a child dedicates himself to a subject, he has potential, and when a child dedicates himself to Islam, he is hopeless? When a Christian kills someone, religion is not mentioned, (i.e. Ireland and the IRA) but when a Muslim is charged with a crime, it's Islam that goes to trial? But then again, why is it after all that, Islam is still the fastest growing religion in the world? Why? Why?

Once a diamond:

Once, a group of people were travelling on rocks at night. A voice came

from the sky that whosoever picks up the rocks will regret and whosoever

doesn't pick up the rocks will regret. Now, the people were confused. How

can this be? Whether you pick up the rocks or not, you will regret! Anyway, some people picked up the rocks and some didn't. In the morning when they reached their homes, they saw that the rocks turned into diamonds. Now, those people who didn't pick up the rocks started regretting saying "If only we had picked up some rocks." Those

people who did pick some rocks also started regretting saying "Why didn't

we pick up more rocks?" Both sides ended up regretting.

Dear Muslims, this same incident will take place with us on the Day of

Judgement. Those people who spent their time in useless things will start

regretting by looking at those who achieved a great position in Paradise

by spending their time in the way of Allah. Now, those who did achieve a

position in Paradise will start regretting by looking at those who did

more than them and are higher in status. "Alas! If we had only done more

to please Allah."

Saransoor

Gabbal   

Salaamz Nomads

I posted this article not to get "i would vote for him" or "i wouldn't vote for him" kind of reply.

I would've liked to get your input of whether he should be given a fair democratic chance of contesting the presidency of the Somali Republic or should he be dismissed because of his last name.

This guy is fairly new to me, but I should say what I have read about him isn't bad. He is not a warlord and has distanced himself from the anarchy and warlordism that has gripped our egalitarian society this past decade. The only political career he has had was being the foreign minister in (I can't remember) for a short time under Siad Barre. He was not involved in the power struggle that occured between the former prime minister Maxamad Cali Samanter and Siad Barre's wife Khadijah with her kids when Siad Barre got into an auto accident and had to be flown to Saudi Arabia for medical attention in the late 80's.

To me personally I wouldn't ever choose him as president, because he was a failure at being foreign minister, but old wounds are coming back to fester. There is still a lot of anti-this clan or anti-that clan bullshit going on in the motherland, so do you think this is a slap in the face to prominent warlords and their clans that another Mareehaan is coming back to claim the top post and could this lead to more division? I mean we have all heard what Muuse Suudi said on the BBC a while ago directed to Abdullahi Yusuf on the grounds that the latter was a Darood. What about specifically a Mareehaan staking claim and one that is so close to Siad Barre?

Matkey   
Originally posted by HornAfrique:

[QB] Salaamz Nomads

"This guy is fairly new to me, but I should say what I have read about him isn't bad. He is not a warlord and has distanced himself from the anarchy and warlordism that has gripped our egalitarian society this past decade."

Do we have to define what regime is? wasn' he prime minister of the old regime? i don't want over emphasise on this. Please read my comment| No one is saying he is marehan or fulan this or fulan that--simply the guy was one of the previous regime and should be indicted. no one is saying any thing about qabiil. and please read what i have stressed in the forum.

thanks

Gabbal   

Salaamz

Matkey, aboow I don't think you clearly understood me and I think you made a hasty reply with a misunderstanding.

A J. Barre was the foreign ministerfor a time under the Siad Barre regime, and even then that title [foreign minister] was a ceremonial one because Siad Barre himself was the foreign minister. He controlled his regime's relations with the international community.

you said:

no one is saying any thing about qabiil

Aren't you wrong, everything politics in our country is about qabiil at this moment. You, in Canada, might not care about what politician comes from that clan or this clan, but Muuse Suudi, Caydiid, Abdullahi yusuf, etc, staked their lives on their clan's suport. You are dead wrong.

Let me just say also, that I support any ICC indictments on the perpetuators of the Somali civil war, but at this moment it is not about that, it is more on appeasing the warlords into a coalition government. And would those warlords form a coalition government under the presidency of a Mareehaan and one that is so close to Siad Barre?

Bachelor   

If I vote for him then, “Those who didn’t remember the history, are inclined to repeat it”….On the other hand, if I didn’t, it seems I am generalizing, which is “ guilt by association”. By the way, Who asked me to vote?

:confused:

Paragon   

Originally by matkey: Do we have to define what regime is? wasn' he prime minister of the old regime?

The question is, have we achieved any better than the old regime? The answer is: No we haven't.

So, who are we to associate someone with dictortorship when all he/she did could have been to honestly serve his/her own country? It is nonsensical to blame all those who've served in the former regime, it'll be purely stupid to do so. There were those who've genuinely and patriotically served Somalia, regarless of whom and what! Just because this fella served in the old regime and his cousin was the dictator doesn't give us any right to charge him guilty of wrong doings.

It will be a different issue if there is a clear evidence that shows his wrong doings, so do we have any evidence? I dont think so. If there is anyone who has any evidence that'll connect him to wrong doings whilst in his time of office then we will blame him. Untill that day.... lets not jump to uncalculated conclusions.

Baashi   

The guy was a member of the highest echelon of that regime..or administration if u will. Government, regime, or administration is not one man business...it is collective responsibility. Those who had an iota of moral clarity ended up in exile or worse in prison because they quesioned the decisions made by the dictator...only those who were complacent were promoted to such high offices. At one point he was finance minister..and other point of his career he was foreign minister...he is on record denying and justifying all the actions of that government...BBC had it all in the archives and interviews including what he said about Hargeisa bombardmen..if that helps. He was the most loyal member to the dictator...he approved all his actions and remained loyal to him until his disgraceful fall.

If he has nothing to answer for so is M.S. Barre...after all we can give M.S. Barre the same benefit of doubt that we are willing to give Buluq-buluq.

HornAfrique-

I believe that he should get a fair democratic. Just because they are related of some sort shouldnt eliminate his rites to reunion his people. People have diff out takes in life, a father and son can have two different view points..just as brothers or cousins. What Barre did in is time shouldnt have any effects on him but knowing somalians...they probably say no just cuz of the last name..but lets be realistic and not narrow-minded. Different people have different motivations so lets be respectful of that fact. I'm not saying neither of which i'm for him or against him until i see or feel what the rest of the leaders withhold.

Lets keep our eyes and ears open, just because we are from the same tribe doesnt mean we should be voting for that particular person which i think is already happen in this post. Enuff said/ mad respect for the topix