Sign in to follow this  
Nur

Islam Best Case, Muslims Worst Lawyers

Nur   

From Nurtel Archives

Assalamu Alaykum NOMADS

This page is for the solicitation of contributions of contemporary issues facing Islam. Many Muslims these days became confused in light of current problems, however at the same time, these problems afford us an opportunity to come to the defense of Islam by speaking out to educate the non Muslim public and Muslims alike.

Islam by far is a case that any good lawyer would love to defend given all the facts. But due to the intellectual calibre of those entrusted for the Public Relations Dawa, Islam is not being represented as it deserves.

I hereby solicit original thoughts with objectivity and respect for opposing opinions so that we may have an enriching discussion for the benefit of all humanity.

The forum is open

You have noticed that as the topic implies, the problem lies with muslims, not Islam which is the focus of this topic as the Bad Lawyers.

But I believe that a formidable defense is due on behalf of Islam as its opponents are spreading inaccuracies and blasphemies right and left. Therefore today I will attempt in my limited capacity to begin this thread with a scenario in a court of law in which Islam is sitting on the defendant side of the court, the media as the prosecutors and the Public Opinion as the Judge.

The Honorable Judge PUBLIC OPINION is presiding over the CASE:

ISLAM versus the MEDIA

All Rise.

Judge Public Opinion:

Your Opening Statments please.

Prosecutors: Your Honor, we are the Media, (newspapers, TV and Radio etc) we are owned by profit making institutions and we are intrusted to preserve prosperity for our nation and to protect the norm of life that we are accustomed to.

Today we have the following accusations against Islam:

1. Islam is a terrorist organization

2. Islam is against human rights such as

a. Freedom of expression

b. Freedom of belief

c. Freedom of association

d. Right to life

e. Right to keep and bear arms for self protection

f. Right to privacy

g. All other civil rights

3. Islam oppresses women

4. Islam is against democracy

5. Islam is against technology

Deffense:

Your Honor, my name is Nur, Today I will represent Islam against accusations lodged by the prosecutors, The Media.

Your honor My client is innocent of all those charges and accusations.

Before I begin, may I call experts to explain key terms and philosophies in dispute to the jury.

I would like to call

1. An expert linguist

2. An expert in Democracy

3. An Expert in Human Rights

4. An Expert in women issues

5. An Expert in US Constitutional Law

6. An Expert in International Law

7. An Expert in criminal Law and Terrorism

8. An Expert in World Religions

Your Honor As the deffense team leader, I would also serve as the Linguist Expert in the opening session tomorrow to define key terminologies in the Arabic language that is closely related to the charges against Islam.

Deffense: Your Honor, May I question the integrity of the Media. The following questions need to be clarified in order for me to answer the charges against my client:

1. I need a breakdown of who owns the media in this country, in terms of interest groups, religious affiliations, racial backgrounds, financial interests. I want to cross verify their hijacking of the public opinion against the interest off the public which my client serves better than any other institution. There interests, motives and who pays their salaries.

2. Once these facts and figures are presented to the Jury, I will provide a clear explanation of Islam to the Jury who will decide if the accusations are motivated by prejudice or if they are actual wrong doing by my client. This way the court can decide if the Media has indeed a case or if the valuable time of the honorable Judge Public Opinion should be saved for real cases that touch the public's life such as those well decumented by the Oprah Winfrey Show.

Nur

Nur   

Nomads

We need volunteers for the different roles of this rendition, when i posted it back in 2003, and even then from my old archives, no one bothered to add to this thread, let us here your voice in deffence of this batrayed deffendant in a creative way.

Nur

Viking   

Nur,

Bro, this is a good idea. But we have one major problem, there are basically no non-Muslims in these forums. Warsame seems to be the only one at the moment and it would be unfair for he is outnumbered and therefore cannot cope with this sort of discussion. Plus, he hasn't shown any hostitlity towards our religion. Is it your wish that people take on roles and play 'prosecuter' as an Islamophobe would? It is a great learning opportunity for all of us, but unfortunately there is only one boxer in the ring

nuune   

All rise, all rise, Honourable Judges , residing over case number AX4568, The Media vs Islam.

For the Media the case will be presented by the Media, (newspapers, TV and Radio etc) .

For the defence the case will be presented by Ms OG Girl.

OG_Girl   

Peace be upon you, your honor, ladies and gentleman of the jury and the distinguished audience.

Your Honour, my name is OG_Girl and I will be representing Islam against the malicious accusations read out in this courtroom. I am part of the defence team who will be tackling the linguistic and legal side of this case. After me, my colleagues Sue who is an expert on Islam, technology, science, and OG_Moti and Hibo whom are a human and women’s rights experts from Islamic point of view as well western point of view, will take the case forward.

Before I start, let me explain some basics about the Arabic language, the language of the Qura'an. As you are aware whenever people disagree on any issue, it is logical to go back to the "Original source" of the topic on hand and in this case the Qura’an.

First of all let me mention your honor, I'm a native Arabic speaker. In Arabic, each word must be derived from its root. The root usually consists of three letters that can be manipulated, by adding vowels, prefixes and suffixes in order to produce different words with different meanings.

For example, "ka-ta-ba" (to write) is the root for many words such as kitab (book), maktaba (library), katib (author), maktoob (written), kitabat (writings) etc...

Thus, the root of the word Islam is sa-la-ma (seen-laam-meem), is the root for many words with different meaning. The word has a much wider meaning than mere peace and involves prosperity, good health, wholeness and completeness in every way. But simply we can safely say here it means submission and obedience (to Allah).

Second, since it is logical to always go back to the original source, which is the Qur’an in this case, let me start with a verse of holy Qur'an "And do not follow (blindly) any information of which you have no (direct) knowledge. (Using your faculties of perception and conception, you must verify it for yourself. (In the Court of your Lord,) you will be held accountable for your hearing, sight, and the faculty of reasoning."[17:36].

Having said that, Your Honour I would therefore ask each one of you, to stop taking someone else's opinion portrayed as facts and beg of you to do your own research and use the brains God has given you to find the truth. The truth is the truth and once a person goes to the original source they can make an informed decision on what they think- otherwise they are just parroting someone else's opinion.

Third, it seems to me, the majority of the public are mistaken between Muslims and Islam. If some Muslims are evil, then remember that Muslims are not perfect and they are not the same thing as Islam. Muslim are just like any other group of people and in this group, there can be good or/and bad people. The Lord has perfected Islam more than 1400 years ago, but Muslims being human beings they remain with human faults.

So, how is it logical for others to judge fifth of the world’s population as terrorists, just because of some organization claiming to represent Muslims! It's like saying since Hitler and Nazis were Christians, then every Christian is a murders and have innocent blood on their hand. We can further say, Christianity is a violence religion, which promotes the killing of innocent Jews, since Nazi’s were Christians. What about the Crusaders, were they good or bad Christians? Did they represent and speak of Christianity?

Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, the biggest culprit in demonising Islam and Muslims are the media. Few powerful groups with self-serving interest control the media. Your Honor, I am not saying we don’t need a media, we do and a very active one for our free society to function. But what have today is media controlled by very few rich people and these people are the ones who decide what you get to read, hear or see at the end of the day.

There is no a measure, the bias the media have against Muslims. Remember, the bombing of Oklahoma. Within minutes of that bombing the media started blaming it on Muslims, even though it later turned out Muslims had nothing to do with that. A great damage was done there and the media never even apologised for it.

I am wondering as some one asked before,what would happen if the FBI had not found Timothy McVeigh to be responsible for the Oklahoma City bombing, would you have always believed it was the work of Islamic groups as the media reported?

If the media were fair and honest in their news reporting, they would have presented all the evidence that shows Muslims are guilty. Instead, all they do is throw accusations around and let you fill the holes how you see them fit!

“The advertisements are the most truthful part of a newspaper,†said Thomas Jefferson. "The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses.†Malcolm X and that sums up the media for me!

Finally, it is beyond our capacity to know fully the Will of Allah in all things but it is my sincere belief that this trial if we overcome will bring greater peace and understanding to all and bring us (As human race) all closer to God, Insha Allah.

Peace be upon you all and Thank you.

lol   

Your Honor my name is Hibo and I stand here to prove that Islam not only values women but holds them in the highest honor. The value of Muslim women have been sullied by the manipulation of media and Muslim hypocrites that are out to get money out of the Westerners that are so readily willing to buy any story of Islamic oppression.

Traditions and false religious beliefs both contributed to the ill treatment of women in previous civilizations and societies. Arabian tribes were no different from other people when it came to mistreating women, although some were well treated in renowned tribes.

The burial of newborn female infants and girls was a common practice. They were seen as a burden to the family, for when poverty stroke, they would have to sustain an additional person. Moreover, when a tribe was attacked, the girls were taken as captives and raped, which brought much shame to the family and tribe.

Women were not allowed to inherit; not the daughter from her father nor the wife from her husband or the mother from her son. The Arabs left inheritance only to those who carried the sword and defended the tribe. Furthermore, the maternal relatives were of no importance; only the paternal family was recognized.

When the husband died, the wife was not allowed to leave his family, for as soon as he died, she was inherited by one of his relatives. She could not leave unless she paid to free herself. Moreover, when a woman was divorced, she was kept out of spite. She was thus not allowed to divorce, and when she was divorced, she could not leave.

Islam has changed the status of women, and changed the outlook that men have towards women. Islam revolutionized the world 1400 years ago when it gave women full access to their rights. To illustrate that point, one needs to only remember the West acknowledged women as beings who possessed a soul just less then 100 years ago. Islam recognized this fact 1400 years ago.

Let's consider the original creation of the woman as portrayed by the Quran. "O humankind, be conscious of your Sustainer who has created you out of one living entity, and out of it created its mate, and out of the two spread abroad a multitude of men and women." (4:1). The Quran shows that both sexes are of equal standing. Moreover, The Quran assigns commands and prohibitions to both genders, which sets the tone for the status of women.

The concept of gender equality is very much stressed in Islam. It came at a time when it was necessary to elevate the status of women. As one of many examples, consider the rights of women in marriage and divorce. The precondition of marriage is the mutual agreement by both parties. Both men and women have equal rights to contract a marriage as well as dissolve it.

Furthermore, unlike other religions, Islam allows woman to have divorce if she feels that her husband has dealt with her unjustly or if she is miserable with her spouse, since marriage is based upon mutual responsibilities towards each other. Islam has also ensured the woman's right to remarry after a three-month refraining period, while in the not too distant past the world considered the right of a woman to remarry as taboo!

As for social rights, Islam has always recognized the substantial role women play in society. The right of inheritance and the right of individual independent ownership unhampered by father, husband, brother, son or anyone else for that matter, has also been granted. They are given the freedom to pursue any profession including political stations. In both the past and present day, women in Islamic societies have reached political heights unparalleled within the most "advanced" western nations.

Then why is Islam often portrayed as being oppressive towards women? A part is certainly due to the stereotyped image of Muslim women in the media. However, some of it is due to Muslims themselves. This surely is not caused by our religious ideology but rather by our own negligence in understanding our religion.

Some of the practices in Muslim countries have deviated from or are totally unrelated to the origins of Islam. Instead, they are based on cultural customs, which date from pre-Islamic tribal traditions. Pre-Islamic traditions still remain imprinted in the hearts of some Muslims. The status of women in Islam is one of equality and honor.

Although the difference in the roles men and women play can sometimes lead one to think that one is inferior to other. That is not the case Your Honor. Media fabricated in the minds of those ignorant of Islam, that the women in veils as an act of oppression. Women are told to cover themselves for their own protection. So that men don’t view them as sex objects rather as human beings with brain. So that they can be respected for their achievements, capabilities and be cherished for being the mothers, daughters, wives and the sisters they are.

I hope Your Honor you vindicate your mind off the preposterous accusations set forth by the Media in regards to Islam tyrannizing women.

Nur   

Prosecution Media:

Objection your honor.

Judge: Sustained:

Your honor, its unbelievable what these two experts are saying, after all they are women, they are oppressed and they are probably forced to say what they are saying, I cant believe that Muslim women are liberated by Islam, look, how these two women are forced this despicable medieval rags! why cant they wear fashion from Bloomingdlaes, Fifth Avenue or Dabenhams?

Where are the Muslims men, why are they hiding behind their women? there are non in this court because they are all terrorists or are planning terrorism.

Judge Public opinion:

The law says that everyone is innocent until proven guilty, how can you accuse all muslims to be terrorists?

Prosecution Media:

Your honor, all of those involved in 9/11 were Muslims.

Judge: How do we know that? This Judge of Public Opinion can not trust the Media as it is a party in this dispute, also, the government has misled the public on Iraq Weopons of Mass destruction, so, we need neutral information, may be from Europeans other the British. Besides does it make to say that since and those involved in Abu Ghreib and Guantanamo were Americans , then its an American crime against all Muslims? I am sure you know better.

As the Judge in this court, Public Opinion, using the free internet as a means of finding truth, since the Media is a party to this dispute, I will only accept untainted accounts of events that show transparency and objectivity, no prejudice, racism, or special minterest groups motives.

Judge Public Opinion:

Miss Og-Girl ( Deffence Lawyer)

you say :

Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, the biggest culprit in demonising Islam and Muslims are the media. Few powerful groups with self-serving interest control the media. Your Honor, I am not saying we don’t need a media, we do and a very active one for our free society to function. But what have today is media controlled by very few rich people and these people are the ones who decide what you get to read, hear or see at the end of the day "

Could you please elaborate more on this point, if what you are saying is true, we should all be rightfully concerned, because, Justice if for all, and no one is above justice.

Ms Hiba

As the Presiding Judge in this court today, Miss Public opinion, myself a female, I am amazed how we have been mislead by the Media, could you please be specific, we need specific examples of your accusations against the Media.

2005 e-Nuri Common-Sense Advisors

Justice is the best Security

Curly   

Your honour I would like to preset my case as the expert (If I would be so bold to do so) on science in Islam.

I would like to firstly begin my case by stating how the media has misled the masses to convey Islam as this hateful religion that incites violence.

I don’t think there is a “sound of mind†adult on this planet that is completely unaware of what has happened during the start of the 21st century and still is happening through out the world. With the atrocities such as September 11th and the so called “war on terror†that was began by the world’s only superpower. The media has helped spread this information and has in most cases become the only source of information. But as my colleague OG girl stated earlier the media is run by a minority that censors what it sees fit. Therefore the media ultimately broadcasts this incomplete version of the truth.

Consequently Islam has bared the brunt of this deceptive distortion of the truth, that has been force fed to the unsuspecting masses. The majority of these people being non-Muslims who are completely obviously to what Islam really stands for.

Having researched into how the media conveys Islam, my honour I think it is safe to say that the media is constantly portraying Islam as some backward religion that bears these savage barbaric children. The media constantly uses as evidence the acts committed by a small minority of Muslims, acts such as suicide bombings, and bombings in general.

As evidence my honour I would like to bring forward a media article that raised a lot of problems in the UK, the article was written by a Mr Robert Kilroy silk, entitled “We owe Arabs nothing†printed on Express on Sunday, 4th January 2004.

I’ve highlighted the statements I believe are important in the current cases.

---------------------------------------------

“We owe Arabs nothingâ€

Robert Kilroy-Silk

WE ARE told by some of the more hysterical critics of the war on terror that "it is destroying the Arab world". So? Should we be worried about that? Shouldn't the destruction of the despotic, barbarous and corrupt Arab states and their replacement by democratic governments be a war aim? After all, the Arab countries are not exactly shining examples of civilisation, are they? Few of them make much contribution to the welfare of the rest of the world. Indeed, apart from oil - which was discovered, is produced and is paid for by the West - what do they contribute? Can you think of anything? Anything really useful? Anything really valuable? Something we really need, could not do without? No, nor can I. Indeed, the Arab countries put together export less than Finland.

We're told that the Arabs loathe us. Really? For liberating the Iraqis? For subsidising the lifestyles of people in Egypt and Jordan, to name but two, for giving them vast amounts of aid? For providing them with science, medicine, technology and all the other benefits of the West? They should go down on their knees and thank God for the munificence of the United States. What do they think we feel about them? That we adore them for the way they murdered more than 3,000 civilians on September 11 and then danced in the hot, dusty streets to celebrate the murders?

That we admire them for the cold-blooded killings in Mombasa, Yemen and elsewhere? That we admire them for being suicide bombers, limb-amputators, women repressors? I don't think the Arab states should start a debate about what is really loathsome.

But why, in any case, should we be concerned that they feel angry and loathe us? The Arab world has not exactly earned our respect, has it? Iran is a vile, terrorist-supporting regime - part of the axis of evil. So is the Saddam Hussein-supporting Syria. So is Libya. Indeed, most of them chant support for Saddam.

That is to say they support an evil dictator who has gassed hundreds of thousands of their fellow Arabs and tortured and murdered thousands more. How can they do this and expect our respect?

Why do they imagine that only they can feel anger, call people loathsome? It is the equivalent of all the European nations coming out in support of Hitler the moment he was attacked by the US, because he was European, despite the fact that he was attempting to exterminate the Jews - and Arabs.

Moreover, the people who claim we are loathsome are currently threatening our civilian populations with chemical and biological weapons. They are promising to let suicide bombers loose in Western and American cities. They are trying to terrorise us, disrupt our lives.

And then they expect us to be careful of their sensibilities? We have thousands of asylum seekers from Iran, Iraq, Algeria, Egypt, Libya, Yemen, Saudi Arabia and other Arab countries living happily in this country on social security.

This shows what their own people think of the Arab regimes, doesn't it? There is not one single British asylum seeker in any Arab country. That says it all about which country deserves the epithet loathsome. GEORGE GALLOWAY, the member of parliament for Baghdad Central, as his tormentors describe him, called the British and American troops "wolves" and called for the Arab countries to rise up and fight them and to cut off oil from the combatants. Later he called upon British troops to refuse to obey "illegal orders".He has, predictably, been vilified. His comments have been termed a disgrace, disgusting, outrageous and so on.

He has been called a loony, naive, gullible and a traitor. There have been demands that George's constituency party should deselect him, that his constituents should not vote for him at the next general election, and that he should be deported to Iraq. No one, as yet, has demanded that he be put in the stocks or burnt at the stake, though no doubt this will come.

But why all the fuss? Why is everyone getting into such an excitable lather over the predictable remarks of a no-mark?

Who with any sense cares an Iraqi dinar for what dear George thinks? Like Clare Short, George is a licensed court jester. He acts the buffoon while she's the straight part of the act, though she exaggerates her sanctimonious seriousness.

Neither are taken seriously. Both are totally discredited laughing stocks that add to the variety of political life. At least George is open, honest and sincere.

© Copyright Express Newspapers 2004 The Express on Sunday

source

--------------------------------------------------

Kilroy writes “For providing them with science, medicine, technology and all the other benefits of the West?â€

Implying that the west had in fact given the Muslims what we know today as science, medicine and technology in general. This is a ridiculously ignorant statement, the Arabian Peninsula has for centuries been the Islamic capital, in a sense it was the birth place of Islam.

During the so called “dark ages†in the west, which was approximately 500 – 1000 AD it was the Arab Muslims who were advancing in academic fields. In fact Medieval Muslims were using sophisticated mathematics to solve problems centuries before the west had not even thought to ponder on. Even at the time when “the west†believed that the Earth was flat, Muslim scientists knew how to calculate the Earth’s curvature. Two recently discovered instruments have proved that Islamic mathematicians were even further ahead of their time than anyone knew. The Mecca-centred world maps, cast in brass, indicate the direction and distance to Mecca from any point in the medieval Muslim world, and they do so with a type of map projection that was unknown in the West until the 20th century. These are displayed below.

Cartographic.Makkah2%5B225x174%5D.JPG

Cartographic.Makkah1%5B225x221%5D.JPG

Source from American Scientist, Magazine of Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society. Pictures was originally published in the Science Observer, May-June, 2001

Even in the Quran Allah describes the forming of a person while in the womb centuries before the west and non-muslims. In fact it was only in the 1700s that scientist in the west had thought that perhaps every embryo started from a very small version of a complete organism.

When all along in the Quran Allah had said in……

Surah Al-Hajj

22:5

“O mankind! If you are in doubt about the resurrection, he verily we have created you (I.e Adam) from dust, then from Nutfah (Mixed drops of male and female sexual discharge i.e the offspring of Adam), then from a clot (a piece of thick coagulated blood) then from a little lump of flesh some formed and some unformed (as in the case of miscarriage)—that we may make is clear to you (i.e to show you our power and ability to do what we will). And we cause whom we will to remain in the wombs for a an appointed term, then we bring you out as infants….â€

And even in Surah al anbiya 21:30 Allah says

“…..We have made from water every living thing. Will they not believe?

When only after advances have been made in science in the west, do we now know that cytoplasm, the basic substance of the cell is made up of 80% water. Modern research has also revealed that most organisms consist of 50% to 90% water and that every living entity requires water for its existence. So how is it possible that over 14 centuries ago for any human-being to guess that every living being was made of water? In fact don’t you think that it is strange for a human being living in the deserts of Arabia where there has always been scarcity of water to conceive such an idea?

Now that we know this how is it possible that this Kilroy character can make such ill accusations and based on what might I ask? The media is continuously making accusations that have no basis and that reflect the actions of small minority, who happen to call themselves Muslims.

Islam teaches peace and good will, suicide in Islam is seen as a sin, punishable by hell, so how can the media carry on to perceive Islam as this uncivilised barbaric religion that condones these actions? The answer is it can not and should not, yet it does.

Christianity which is religion of the American superpower also condones crusades, what Islam calls “Jihad†so how can it be that “Jihad†is seen is such a bitter and twisted way? The atrocities going on in places like Palestine are not Jihad even though it should be. But the actions of desperate people, whose families and homes are being savaged by the settlers.

Members of the jury and your hounor I have to cut this short here, but please ask yourself this if you will. What would you do if it was you and someone demolished your houses, killed your children?

I don’t condone suicide bombings but I understand what pushes these people into it, I’m just sorry that the Muslims haven’t pulled together to form a real Islamic state that could declare war the correct way.

I would love to carry on but I think I have exhausted myself and the readers who have bothered to keep reading! :D

OG_Girl   

Your honor, Sorry for the delay. As a muslim woman I have family and community resposibilities unlike Mr media who is full time propaganda breeder.

Your honor, There is no doubt the media play a big role in demonising the Islam/Muslims in the West and this happens because few handful people control the media. Take in the USA for instance, there are only five corporations that control the mass media (be it in printing, TV or radio). If this isn’t scary, I don’t know what is!

The big five in this country, in order of their sizes are as follows,

General Electric, Time Warner, The Walt Disney Co, Viacom, News Corporation

A simple question is who controls these big five? In addition, what is their core belief (ofcouse after making as much money as possible!)?

Such a system where few powerful control the media, it produces biases as these individuals each have their own political agenda! The bias even gets worse when most of these have the same political opinion and whomever they turn against, they don’t stand a chance of survival at all! This is what is happening today!

The control of the media by the few isn’t just a concern for the Muslims only but for everyone else too. Having said that the Muslims are the ones who are facing this problem today. For all the others it should be a warning to them!

I will end with this As Lilienthal put it: "One-sided reportage on terrorism, in which cause is never related to effect, was assured because the most effective component of the Jewish connection is probably that of media control."*

I hope Your Honor you will make your mind and make the right decision. The truth is truth and it's out there for who ever is sincere and free from prejudicial.

Peace

*. A. Lilienthal, The Zionist Connection (New York: Dodd, Mead, 1978), pp. 206, 218, 219, 229.

Nur   

We need volunteer experts in their respect fields of knowledge, to defend ISLAM in this virtual court against the mighty Media, at Somaliaonline Forums Virtual Court, Stand up for your faith,, others do for theirs!

Nur