Sign in to follow this  
xiinfaniin

Somali Insurgents Reject Government’s Olive Branch

Somali Insurgents Reject Government’s Olive Branch

By Peter Clottey

11 August 2009

Somalia's hard-line Islamic insurgents have rejected peace overtures after President Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed called on them to stop the violence and begin peace negotiations.

This comes less than a week after President Sheikh Sharif held talks with U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in Kenya's capital, Nairobi.

The insurgents including, al-Shabab denounced President Sheikh Sharif's invitation calling him an agent of the west who wants to control the country's resources.

At a press conference Monday, President Sheikh Sharif accused al-Shabab of being under the command of al-Qaida, which aims to turn Somalia into a safe haven for international terrorism.

Political analyst Ali Abdullahi told VOA that Mogadishu is too weakened to negotiate with the hard-line insurgents.

"I wonder who he (President Sheikh Sharif) will try to negotiate with. Also, the government thing it can sort of appeal to the not o much of the hard-liners. But it seems on both sides not only the issue of negotiations but there is also the possibility of escalation of violence," Abdullahi said.

He said there are indications that the insurgents seem to have the upper hand.

Islamist rebels prepare to fire mortar round during a fresh battle against government forces in Mogadishu, 03 June 2009

"Al-Shabab wings are saying that whatever arms given to the government, they will take it from them as happened with the AK 47s that were given to them recently. So what you find is that whatever weapons are given to the government will ultimately end up in the hands of al-Shabab because the government does not have anyone to fight for them," he said.

Abdullahi said the government faces a daunting task of defeating insurgents who are highly motivated.

"Al-Shabab has a lot of spirit and they have a well disciplined group of militants and the government is not well prepared to challenge them on the battlefront. So the best way they (government) they could think of is maybe to have a negotiation on the table. But I wonder whether the government will be ready to negotiate from a point of weakness rather than a point of strength," Abdullahi said.

He said President Sheik Sharif Sheikh Ahmed's administration is too fragile to govern.

"The government seems to be at its weakest point; financially and militarily, they are very weak. And there are also other factions which apparently are deserting the government in the form of the military," he said.

Abdullahi said a cross-section of Somalis is refusing to recognize the government.

"There is also organized peaceful party which is being arranged to sort of appeal to the international community as an alternative government because most of the Somali elite don't see this government as representative of them," Abdullahi said.

Somalia

The hard-line insurgent groups have so far refused to recognize the government, vowing to overthrow the administration and implement the strictest form of Sharia law.

The insurgent groups control most of the country including some areas in the capital, Mogadishu.

Somalia has been without an effective government after former longtime ruler Mohammed Siad Barre was overthrown in 1991.

Siad Barre's overthrow reportedly led warlords to escalate the conflict, which plunged the country into deeper crisis.

^^^

You think that cats are funny, fabry?

You're making it very difficult to defend your macho cyber warrior persona, fabry. I don't know what other "funny"/ "cute" animal pics you have stashed away on your pc, but it might be best if you kept them to yourself and not post them here. You're just providing the anti-deviancy camp on SOL with more ammo to get at you.

Also, for the record, you should tell us all once again, why you think the hellhound deviants of Al Shabaab are really good for the Somali people, specifically how under their leadership we will advance leaps and bounds. I've tried to believe you, but I think I need more convincing from you. Whaddaya say? :cool:

Fabregas   

^^I never had a cyber warrior personna. You must have been dreaming about me in your past cyber life, Cano borow. But chill out and take a look at the picture for a moment. It is quite befitting of the situation of shariff. He has been given troops, funding,......But he is still like the black cat. :D

^^^

Aaah! I get it now. You've become a Somali racist(the worst kind, IMHO). Else, you wouldn't mention the obvious, which is-- Sharif is a big lipped darky( hence the derisive comparison of the President-- by you, fabry-- with that black cat in the pic).

Regarding your keen efforts to ressurect my hypothetical NIDO brand spokemanship, I already know that your efforts will all be in vain. And I know how enthusiastic you are with the idea of posting sweat nothings, but you really need to step up your game and desist from deflecting questions directed at you on these threads.

Perhaps you could step up to the plate and give my humble request a try?

That would be more constructive on your part. ;)

N.O.R.F   

The Shariif has the won the media war (finally). AS lost the support of the people as soon as they decided to attack the govnt and are now bankrupt.