Sign in to follow this  
Meiji

Interesting argument brought forward by ONLF leader for the name of the region

Kamaavi   

The Somali galbeed liberation struggle since its inception in the 60's has been fighting for the rights and freedom of the Somali galbeed region. It is a legitmate peoples' struggle with a massive support.It is crucial to notate that the ONLF has done everything in their power to unshackle the chains of occupation and oppression in the region. These men and women are not only engaged in a military war against the unconstitutional government of Ethiopia , but also a political one. Decolonization is a painful and difficult process that requires more than using force and weapons to defend and emancipate a country. The war in the 70s between Somalia and Ethiopia is a great example as to why a political war is just as decisive as a military one.

The ONLF is establishing prominent r/ships, connecting with influential countries, and declaring our independence to the world both on and off the battlefield. The exclusive right to control a government, a country and its people requires more than a successful military machine; it requires the use of tactics and strategy to gain and establish a powerful relationship with influential countries, and organizations within the international community.

The fate of Somali galbeed rests on the ONLF, and its success will not be measured by how well they fight to make it sovereign, but also how well they fight to keep its sovereign. Their interaction with other countries and organizations today will ensure their success against outside influences tomorrow!

The solution of the Somali galbeed conflict is as simple as the Chairman Osman stated: " A referendum for the Somali people in the region to enable them to determine their future by themselves and decide whether they want to remain part of the state of Ethiopia, vote for an independent state, or join another country. The decision should be up to the people alone. We also demand that they be allowed to exercise their right to self-determination"

The fact of the matter is not whether a liberation struggle is being made a "Somali-wide", "broad Somali-based ideology", or a simple name change to attract some supporters. It is how to bring about a lasting peace and security in Somali galbeed. For that to occur, Somali galbeed must and ought to have a fair and free referendum on self-determination and result must be honoured and implemented.

Admiral Omar Osman's words stand unchallanged, The ONLF is also doing their part, while Meiji's obsession with the name given to the region is sickening and his assertion for speaking on behalf of the people in the region is insulting.

The people in the Somali galbeed want individuals who comprehend their struggle to speak for them, not individuals who pretend to understand their struggle as a method of attack against the ONLF. Meiji is using the people in the region as an excuse to show aggression towards the ONLF, not because of their policies, but because of the intimidation the name that was given to the region presents. He and others like him harbor the mistaken belief that the ONLF is responsible for giving birth to a name that was given to the region more than a hundred years before the ONLF came into existence. The ONLF derives its name from the region. The O represents Somali galbeed region and its inhabitants; it does not represent the O tribe! The sooner individuals like Meiji act in accordance with the governing laws of logic and reason, the better! I want to judge the individuals like Meiji as rational and sensible beings, and until they give me a reason to, I can’t afford to see them as anything more than the product.

Buuxo   

^Well sounding points but where you fall short is in your over-simplification of the impact of the clan name and the damage it has on the liberation.

^Instead of crying over this name, why can't they just join WSLF? But then again, even that is dominated by ONLF clan

The truth of the matter is, people are afraid of the fact that we are the majority in this region. They have no issue with the name but only scapegoating. We did not choose to be the majority.

Do you guys honesty believe anyone has the right to ask us to change the name while we are the ONLY ones loosing lives and limps here? Only when others become stakeholders in the fight, should they have that right

The Zack   

^Very well said. Magacey Kaga dhigtay maryooleyda.The entire region is under occupation why don't these people start fighting the xabishis in other parts of the region instead of fucusing on ONLF's shortcomings? I hear the statement "other clans live in the region, too..." so what? the other clans should dislike the opression more than they dislike the name. They can even join the ONLF and suggest the name changed. What is unacceptable is crying about the name while u r quite about the opression.

Kamaavi   

Contrary to many observers I am convinced that our case is in a sense unique, even in Africa. Besides there are two O names for me one is the country and the other is the tribe. I don’t have problem with either. I have more respect for historical facts than emotions.

However, in a move to high light impacts of the name, I would like to hear from others what is the most important point from the perspective of the international community? What are the dangers of the name change? Is it right to say that the dangers are bigger if the name is changed?

We have indications that the 77 war was lost politically, and ONLF is learning to recorrect the past mistakes, till free referendum is obtained.

Haatu   

Jafe,

It wasn't just reer Soomaali Galbeed that lost that war, all Somali's did. We sacrificed our wealth and sons. We all payed the price.

Maybe that's the reason why so many people want a say in the internal affairs of the region.

But man these people are wild. I remember I was in Sweden not so long ago and a group of them knocked on our door at 10 o'clock in the night. Turns up they were from the diaspora of that region and were going around in the area campaigning for funds and support. I remember these two ladies who kept on reiterating how the Ethiopians were maiming and killing and raping the innocent populace. I tried to calm them down and but they accused me of being against the struggle. I told them I lost relatives in the battle to liberate their villages in 77, and why on earth would I want to support gumaysi when I have experienced the harshness of it? But they continued accusing me and all I could do was to tell them to go because by then it was 1am and for them to come back the day after. But they never returned.

But to cut a long story short, what I can't still understand is why they were so paranoid?

Kamaavi   

^You asked for it. So don't bet upset :D

Originally posted by *hatu*:

Jafe,

Tranlation: Yes?

It wasn't just reer Soomaali Galbeed that lost that war, all Somali's did.

Translation : You didn't read what I wrote.

We sacrificed our wealth and sons. We all payed the price.

Translation: You are past, neither present not the future.

Maybe that's the reason why so many people want a say in the internal affairs of the region.

Translation : You are not sure, but it is still in your head.

But man these people are wild.

Translation: Generalation, stereotyping and hate makes you paranoid. Not only this?

I remember I was in Sweden not so long ago and a group of them knocked on our door at 10 o'clock in the night.

Translation : You remember a certain paltalk stories, but you forget that this thread is for real debate. Nononesense!

Turns up they were from the diaspora of that region and were going around in the area campaigning for funds and support.

Translation: Diaspora of that region are wild people, right? Paranoid.

I remember these two ladies who kept on reiterating how the Ethiopians were maiming and killing and raping the innocent populace.

Translation : Tryin to act you care about them, but want to mock them! That's what you wanted to tell us?

I tried to calm them down and but they accused me of being against the struggle.

Translation : You must did some thing wrong, or at least there should be some reason to it.

I told them I lost relatives in the battle to liberate their villages in 77, and why on earth would I want to support gumaysi when I have experienced the harshness of it?

Translation: With out supporting an invader, one can come against a strugle. But for his selfish paranoid jealoucy & invy.

But they continued accusing me and all I could do was to tell them to go because by then it was 1am and for them to come back the day after. But they never returned.

Translation : Why would they return to a paranoid? I am assuming here.

But to cut a long story short, what I can't still understand is why they were so paranoid?

Translation: To cut a long story short it could be you were another paranoid. Happy now? :D

Note: There are lot threads for trolling. So, why ruin the on going debate among your elders & educated fellas? ;)

Buuxo   

Abdulatif,

You just being divisive now.The demographics speak for themselves sxb no need to create further division.All I’m saying is any movements concerns should be mobilizing the people of the region and gaining maximum support through common goal(s). The ONLF does not have support of the majority of the inhabitants. You can’t ignore the rest of the populations who are by the way sizeable majority themselves.

Originally posted by Jafe101:

However, in a move to high light impacts of the name, I would like to hear from others what is the most important point from the perspective of the international community? What are the dangers of the name change? Is it right to say that the dangers are bigger if the name is changed?

We have indications that the 77 war was lost politically, and ONLF is learning to recorrect the past mistakes, till free referendum is obtained.

Jafe01,Why is the international community's perpective more important? So we can disregard the view of the local community.The international community will see it differently if we all united against the occupation.And Ethios won't benefit from our disunity.

The Zack   

Buuxo, the big point that most people keep missing is that ONLF is an organization that is fighting to liberate the region, it is not a government. If one is not satisfied with the way that organization is trying to liberate the region one can setup another organization and start fighting for the same region. Or one can be part of the ONLF and then bring that point up and work on changing the darn name. What is not ACCEPTABLE is try to condemn the ONLF without offering an alternative.

Kamaavi   

Habo Buuxo,

I understand the arguements which are mainly about name change but the historical and political importance of the name, or dangers of name changing in perspective of both the local and international communities deserve some consideration. In other words, the view of the local is equally imortant as that of the international community's perpective. Political equillibrium of the two views is mandatory to ring freedom, or bringing peace and stability of Somali galbeed region. ONLF is just doing this by their hands, even though much of blame for present disunity and violence is coming from the Mama Somalia via clan-conflicts, which is an internal problem.

You will find Somalis around from every quarter of the Somali Nation who are standing up to the lousy leaches beyond Awash. They accept nothing less than freedom. But there are indivituals who are flat out wrong on so many Somalis and other world events, that even if you show the truth, would still find a way to blame the few men who are in the midle of their strugle agaist oppression for every ill affecting the horn.

Only those who oppose the cause of the Somali galbeed like always to confuse the people by tying the nationhood of the Somali people in the region and the name of the Territory. It is not dependent on Somalis in the Somali galbeed region to create new names until the Somali galbeed itself becomes independent. Only independent countries can change their names.

After independence let the Somali people in the Somali galbeed call their country whatever they want, but the appologist of Ethiopian colonialsm like to use this name as a pretext to avoid the rigours of a liberation struggle and choose to serve lowly Amharas and Tigre Agames instead of struggling for their rights.

Nevertheless, to ask you again, if all Somalis united in late 70s agaist occupation and the wind of freedom seemed to be ever stronger, then what was most important mistake that have been done in order to recorect it?

Paragon   

^Jafe, how are we suppose to be pragmatic enough to change that very 'important mistake', if we continue rubbishing all those who make sincere suggestions, for better approaches of conducting successful struggle?

Or 'other' supporters can not even dare to make suggestions for the cause?

The Zack   

Mr. Paragon, sincere suggestion from sincere Somalis is not only accepted but actually very well needed walaal. The ONLF and the entire Western Somali community have very much respect for our brothers from the republic that are willing to give advice/help. Kuwa gumeysi u adeegga ama qabiileysataasha ah ee bulshadaas iyo dadaalkeeda dura umbaan meeshan kala hadleynee no body said we don't your suggestions. We apologize for any confusions.

The "important mistake" Jafe is referring to is the name itself. In the 1977 war, Ethiopia was crying about Somalia attacking it and taking over some of its "territories". The name "Soomaali galbeed" was an example it was using to ask for world's help. We are trying to avoid the same thing.

P.s. Some countries like Cuba were just supporting Ethiopia for other reasons but still the name "Western Somalia" had an impact.

juma-nne   

After Looking at the whole scenario I have been compelled to add into this thread and try to sum it up in brief.

it's my opinion that ONLF is engaged in a genuine struggle but with faulty strategy. ONLF have either unknowingly skipped or intentionally ignored one essential procedure in their justified struggle against oppression.

It's my observation that the oppressor have succeeded in exploiting these loopholes, and is so far using them effectively. Its my opinion that ONLF have to go back to the drawing table and come up with strategies of reaching out to their fellow Somalis not only in the ****** region but globally as well. They should bear in mind that their Somali brothers have nothing against them except that the enemy have succeeded where they failed. For some reasons Onlf have totally failed in countering Meles grand strategy of divide and rule they basically failed to get other Somalis to cooperate and instead have been viewed with suspicion and measured through the clannish Somali cultural construct.

The oppressor have conceited relation with the Somali neighboring entities of Somaliland and Punt land. They as well simultaneously calling the shot in all Somali affairs on the international arenas. Ethiopia's dictatorial regime have temporally succeeded in their Strategic move of slowly stifling the Somali ethnic autonomy and power in the Horn of Africa.

ONLF can be a launching pad for the Somali power resurgence in the region. This would be a probability under the condition that they cease from playing to the tune set by Meles. They should and engage reach out to their brothers and sisters regardless of the obstacles and challenges in place. Fortunately Somalis Share everything in common except for the constructs of tribal and regional difference which if well approached can be bridged through our long existing traditions.

My conclusion and advice to all ONLF activist is that This struggle needs more than the reiterates of "Qoriga dhegga iisudha"