Sign in to follow this  
Meiji

Interesting argument brought forward by ONLF leader for the name of the region

Abtigiis   

Haa, sharcigoodu waa yara inkaaran yahay. I think they have a valid point. Once you allow discussion on Qabiil names, you don't know where you will end up. Bal adigu Cowke oo qabiil cay loo ogolaaday ka waran: "sow hoyadiin waxaa ku sameeya rer hebeloow muuna la shir yimaadeen?"

But I agree if someone aks why ONLF keeps the name ****, one cannot give a satisfactory answering while avoioding Qabil names. It just doesn't make sense. The whole context will be missed.

Laakin iska daa oo ha isku lurin.

[ October 30, 2009, 01:25 AM: Message edited by: Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar ]

Faafan   

horta waa run in meesha qabiil hebel waa sidan iyo sidan buu ku dhaqaaqey, lana is aflagaadeeyo waa khalad xaqiiqatun.

Laakiin meesha contextga loogahadlayo waa in la ixtiraamaa, meesha in wax lakala barto oo lagu doodo baa loo furay...fadhlan hadii commentgayga la xoorayo, topiga baa sunaysan hala deletegreeyo markaa.

AYOUB   

Originally posted by Abtigiis & Tolka:

- Thousands of young men in the bush, and those funding the organisation because IT BELONGS TO THEIR CLAN (let us not shy away from this) might get confused and lose the zeal. As this will not be offsetted by large contributions of fighters from other clans, it is a lose-lose situation.

Well, are they fighting to liberate the land belonging to their clan or all clans? Please elaborate.

Haatu   

Abtigiis,

You have to understand that the other Somali's there will not join the ONLF unless they see at as a more neutral organisation, clan-wise. It is true that there are some that are benefiting from not fighting the Xabashi's, but the '****' name is an obstacle no matter how small. I think that there is no better name than the one that was used beri-samaadkii, WSLF. The name WSLF does not mean the Somalis are expansionist, but it reiterates their claim that they are being colonized and separated from their brethren by false colonial borders.

[ October 30, 2009, 01:25 AM: Message edited by: Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar ]

Meiji   

Abtigiis,

Your arguments make sense. Ever since the collapse of the Somali Republic it seems like that all Somali groups are looking out for their own interest, and as long as the Somali Republic is under siege by centrifugal forces of separation/division that appeal to clan emotions things will stay the same.

Having said that, you overstate the disadvantages of dropping the ''****'' name. The main ideology of ONLF is sound and has the power to attract mass support from all Somalis. There is Ethiopian colonization going on, and all Somali groups understand that and would love to live in freedom. However, the TPLF-run Ethiopian regime is using a classic divide-and-rule strategy and because of this those that fight for the just cause of independance need to involve all those who live under the occupation. By using the ''O'' the whole struggle is limited to people who only support the cause because of clan interest and not because of its true interest: Independance and the right of self-rule.

Thousands of young men in the bush, and those funding the organisation because IT BELONGS TO THEIR CLAN (let us not shy away from this) might get confused and lose the zeal. As this will not be offsetted by large contributions of fighters from other clans, it is a lose-lose situation.

It is precisly because of that unfortunate situation (clan-based struggle) that many Somalis sympathize with the liberation struggle but on the other hand look at it with suspicion.

That unfortunate situation (clan-based struggle) will also be used by those who are against the just cause of liberation struggle to undermine the ONLF organization and discredit its ideology. I do not have to remind you at the poor propaganda campaign launched by those who supported Ethiopian occupation of Somalia, which was ment to discredit the just cause by associating it as ''a struggle only concerning those Somali groups in Mogadishu''.

Lastly,

On the long run, the ONLF will lose out to other liberation organizations (run by Somalis) that are more inclusive and consistent in their ideology. I would not be surprised if Alshabab-kinda groups emerged in Somali Galbeed who would rally larger support from various Somali groups.

All in All,

ONLF is conducting a superb armed resistance struggle. I and all sane Somalis support that just war to liberate Somali lands that are under Ethiopian occupation. Let us now find a solution to the fundamental question of:

'' How can we make the liberation struggle Somali-wide and develop a broad Somali-based ideology that will attract mass support''

The trend of every clan/subclan making its own liberation front will undermine us all, and aid the Ethiopian colonizer.

[ October 30, 2009, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar ]

Another question for A&T isn't there a significant portion of the ONLF people who are working for administration of Kilinka. I believe one of them was the President at one time?

I firmly believe that the name should stay the same even when liberated. Those who debate about the name change are just playing Qabiil Card. The name has nothing to do with Tribalism. It is the same thing as the following:

-Malaysia was named after the Malay tribe, becouse they are the majority in Malaysia.

-The capital of Wyoming “Cheyenne” was named after the Cheyenne Tribe.

-Paris- was named after the tribe who found it----Parisii of Gallic tribe.

The list can go on and on…

Aduunyada waxaa jira xitaa wadamo loogu magac darey shaqsiyaad…. Qabyaalada iska daaya oo taageera the ONLF struggle. Ama marmarsiinyada iska daaya. Shaqsiyaadka waxaa ka mid ah:

-Angola was named after a person------Ngola Kiluanje

-America was named after-------------Amerigo Vespucci

-Musambique was named after-------------Musa Mbiki

Originally posted by Koora-Tuunshe:

I firmly believe that the name should stay the same even when liberated. Those who debate about the name change are just playing Qabiil Card. The name has nothing to do with Tribalism. It is the same thing as the following:

-Malaysia was named after the Malay tribe, becouse they are the majority in Malaysia.

-The capital of Wyoming “Cheyenne” was named after the Cheyenne Tribe.

-Paris- was named after the tribe who found it----Parisii of Gallic tribe.

The list can go on and on…

Aduunyada waxaa jira xitaa wadamo loogu magac darey shaqsiyaad…. Qabyaalada iska daaya oo taageera the ONLF struggle. Ama marmarsiinyada iska daaya. Shaqsiyaadka waxaa ka mid ah:

-Angola was named after a person------Ngola Kiluanje

-America was named after-------------Amerigo Vespucci

-Musambique was named after-------------Musa Mbiki

Sxb, are you for real? What you cited is well-known, but how quickly did you metamorphose yourself from a hardcore anti-"Islamists, Secessionists & looters" to such level of Somali patriotism?

Don't get me wrong, one can always learn about what he's talking about and expand his mind beyond Western and primitive sectarian prejudices; still, you should not think yourself as more witty or of any more important than average (to try and be generous), let alone being able to mislead anyone...

PS: At least, Jacaylbaro & co are limpidly honest and, above all, stay clear of undisputable blasphemies (having basic Islamic understanding do helps against colonial complexes too)...

Paragon   

Despite my preference of having the **** name unchanged as partains to the land and the cause, it is impossible not to take account of the counter-argument of broadening the struggle and making it more 'inclussive'. It's only understandable that maintenance of the name **** in the ONLF smells of tribal exclussivity that will never sit well with clannistically-driven Somalis of the land concerned, and already all over Somalia. Then why not make the strategic move of creating a bigger, broader coalition of liberation movement? Why should Somalis always limit themselves when they can infact 'maximize' their potential for success?

I ponder.

[ October 30, 2009, 01:27 AM: Message edited by: Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar ]