Sign in to follow this  
Armchair Politician

Updated Political Map of Somalia

What is with you and maps?

Does little dusty villages and towns in Soomaaliya changing hands -- albeit temporarily since there is no permanent, save a few towns -- fascinate you?

What if you started mapping Soomaaliya and its regions monthly since 1991? Waaba ku dhufan lahayd by now. :D

It is a wholly different matter, though, being mapping who controls what of some far-flung hamlets and villages in Soomaaliya.

What you coloured today will not be there in days or weeks, let alone in months or years. Soomaaliya and its regions, including towns, is in a continuous stage of endless evolutionary cycle. Nothing lasts and settled unless a true central government rules.

What you are attempting should be commended for informing the uninformed about the political reality on the ground; however, it is a waste of time since it will change in a few months.

History is never a waste of time my friend, and think of the value of being able to see history unfold?

I got the idea to do this, chronicle the history of Somalia's rapidly changing political landscape, from this site: www.euratlas.net

I saw how valuable it was to be able to see how things changed over time, bit by bit and sometimes massively all at once over time.

The Zack   

Most of this map is wrong and inaccurate. I don't know what kind of history you are trying to note here but you labeled wrong qabiil's on different gobols.

LOl @ territories marked with yusuf dabageed and M.dheere. According to this map, Sool is divided between is equally divided between "rer Somaliland" and rer sool with a little more going to Maakhir. Clearly, someone didn't do their homework.

Originally posted by The Zack:

Most of this map is wrong and inaccurate. I don't know what kind of history you are trying to note here but you labeled wrong qabiil's on different gobols.

There are a lot of different ideas about clan and state geography in Somalia, and it's actually kind of a contentious issue.

PM me if you are interested in discussing these matters.