Sign in to follow this  
Unsigned

I was 8 years old…

Xalimo7   

The only big blame Somalilanders has is , joining the rest of Somali long time ago, they should have stayed away like Djibouti, but that mistake will never happen again, so the end of the story. Why quarrell when there is not going to be an easy border to be crossed. It is closed ,sealed, tightened.

see you, am around dude

Dear Zadiqa – Although I am in synch with Baashi’s and Sophist’s rationale, concur Ameenah’s realistic tactic on the matter, I wish to go a little bit further and approach things from a different angle which might not quite sit well with you for obvious reasons. Get the coffee and bear with me for a moment.

As painful as it is to read you poem which implicitly illustrates the experience of many children of Somali descent in that era including many on this forum who bear the horrid experiences, the prolonged beastly memories, and vivid flashbacks of the callous, sadistic atrocities inflicted upon the innocent by representatives of the cruel regime of Siyad Barre including people both from North as well as South of Somalia, some of whom were relatives of the traumatised, I must admit your blanket approach and tainting of anything south Somali shatters any shred of remorse anyone would have felt for you, or any who had suffered directly or vicariously. Additionally you seem to have a mindset discriminative in nature where the victims of the Northwest are to be commemorated sending perpetrators of crimes to the gallows at once whereas anyone else perished under the same regime including the first victims of the vile regime, for instance people of Northeast as early as the 70s, should not matter. This discerning desire of selfish form synonymous with people who never came into direct contact with any form of persecution other than stories circulated within the family gatherings only turn people who would have felt sincere remorse for the genuine victims. Whilst the Samaritan acts are found inspirational, and carrying the torch on behalf of the victims is admired, the superficiality and discriminatory practice on the part of the Samaritans is not only criminally deafening but also gets in the way for rewarding the victims of all genre whilst penalising the culprits of all makes.

I would feel sorry for my neighbour if disaster, natural or otherwise was to hit him/her knowing that if I were to fall victim to one, my neighbour would have felt the same. However, if my neighbour happens to be a red-neck, or a Swastika sporting Neo-Nazi fascist, who rejoices in my misery, God may smash my skull with predestined hellish stones to end my being should I feel any remorse or sorrow for his/her loss. More to the point, if the self-styled voices of the few, unlike the genuine, of the victims of the Northwest Somalia continue in their disregard of historical accounts, affliction of other Somalis the direst of which had been suffered by the people of Digil & Mirifle, atrocities inflicted upon people of other regions of Somalia many of whom suffered in the hands of generals of Northwest (i.e Mudug and Nugaal in the 80s) and SNM (i.e. Sool and Awdal in late 80s and early 90s), USC (i.e. Banadir, Jubooyinka and RRA Riviera), many including myself shall feel neither remorse nor willingness to support the efforts of bringing suspects of crimes against humanity to the just proceedings on behalf of the dead, or the impoverished living whose lives had been shattered by the evil regime.

Speaking in a collective voice for the genuine victims in unity appealing for the apprehension of suspects of crimes against humanity, dealing severely with such persons, awarding victims whilst handing out retributions in turn all of which would further speed up the process of laying the skeletons in their rightful burial grounds is deemed benevolent, the best method and most practical fashion in addressing such issues. If that does not quite sit well with the people of Northwest, and you shall hear NOT the cries and stories horrific in nature, similar in principal of other victims for reasons of non-congeniality, I will have to excuse myself as I have neither the time to bleed, nor the desire to comfort the teary-eyed, pseudo victims of the civil war era.

Reasons obscure in manner spewed out to support the case of the trouble-ridden, geographically, financially and economically impractical secession of the region concerned which mind you have little, if any to do with the atrocities so lavishly spoken of, although quoted more than any other, are merely used for political gains, and are agnostic in nature by impotent elites of the region. It is the average Halima and the young Ali I feel sorry for, for indeed they remain the true victims to date being reduced to gambits on the awkwardly ineffective elites’ chessboard.

If you wish to engage in renditions of horrific experiences, by any means please do, but note you shall remain a victim of your own creations in line with that of Black America’s fascination with slavery and failure to let go of the past.

The future my dear is federalism, like it or loathe it, and the train is on the platform. Be seated in your allotted compartment. If no, “Waa adi iyo dantaa, iyo faraskaa ha ku qaado” as the old saying goes so far as the Somaliland of the present is concerned, and let us see how far the horse cart could drag you into the future. If the desired future as Halima7 seems to suggest is one similar to that of DJibouti fraught with all the ills of the world including 16 year old boys and girls in godforsaken state lining up outside five-star hotels, soliciting and falling prey to the paedophiles and the masochistic elements of the West disguised in philanthropy and patronage, and a whole state being dependent upon the donations and merciful handouts of the colonial masters in lieu of making something of yourself by way of synergy and collaboration with thou brethren, so be it; even though it shall pain us to see that to become the fate of any people of Somali descent.

So long!

i aint gonna into all kinds of trashing here but just wanna say that all i am reading is garbage!

finger pointing aint gonna get us no where! somalida distruction is not confined to 1 party but to the whole nation. many folks have become so polarized in their thinking, one wonders who is talking in them!!

others keep blaming all their misfortunes on other

its a nasty game,i.e., pass the buck! hey life has its ups and downs. do u see whats happening in black africa today! if u do, then stop whinning and count your blessing!

stand up 4 your nation and continent and got out of this useless cry baby mentality and be worthy of yourselves. otherwise, we will always be lil spoiled sybilings whining for attentions!!

somalida ha noolaatoooooooooooo!!!4 ever!

Gabbal   

Zadiqa abaayo ilaahayaa wax cafiyo oona naxariiseeyo.

Ayoub_Sheikh

Deep down you all know the mass graves up and down Somali shores cannot be blamed on 'military junta' or 'civil war'.

I'm starting to understand the reason why "Somaliland" does not want unity is, because they blame the Northern Genocide (yes, i call it that) on anyone who did not come from Waqooyi Galbeed at the time of it and as of right now too.

Ayoub's hypothetical comment just made what i've been thinking for sometime a true reality.

Baashi, Samuarai, Sophist,etc, how do you console an entire region and it's people, because of their woes, when you, infact, are also part of their blame to them, regardless of any other thing, simply because you don't hail from Waqooyi galbeed?

The genocide was as much a tragic part of Somali history, as the Somali civil war was (which killed a million+ people, uprooted another 2 million, destroyed everything, and made Somalia a complete failed state).

So I don't have anything eles to say, mainly because I've come to a grave understanding. :(

king_450   

Well i have read so many stories about Horrible situation that happened in Somalia, yes i was very lucky to have left the country at an early age and never have to experience what i have heard, but sure some of my family suffered too, but the point i am making basicaly is, it is important to remember that a young child's pereception is based on what is felt in the moment. In Zadiq's case she does not comprehend the concept of death, Zadiq when a person is gone then always a person is there. It is very hard maybe you have missed the rhythm and that is causing your specific grieveness. well put your act together.

I got 3 words for those of you who are in favour of “Somali Weyn”

LET IT GO

here we go again! a dispatched nothern lady now complaining about our southern land and its peoples..Your comments prove that you are utterly unknown with reality on the ground in somalia now and during the civil war. let's not make enemies of each other by forging lies and creating hopeless situations. The experience that we suffered under the former tyrant and the warlords that followed should be sufficient wake-up call for us. i beleave its the people of somali land who will decide if they wanna stay in federal somalia or separate.

God bless somalia and her people!

A lazy ***** is the hardest worker.He tries to find the easiest path and always fails

hey nomadrebell, this my answer to this thread! lol! how so fitting bro!

king! u my cuzz bro from east coast, u words sound so familar! lol! u know anyone in la!lol! plz dont say so!!!!

LANDER   

Zadiqa,

Walaal where you really expecting sympathy from these people? They don’t understand your unique situation and that of the people of Somaliland in those dreadful days under Barre. It’s only natural for them to revoke their own grievances and losses without being able to separate their personal experiences in order to truly understand where you’re coming from. Each victims of the former regime had a unique situation wheter it be the region now known as Puntland in the early 80’s or the Somalilanders in the late 80’s. Walaal your experience being completely different from any suffered previously by another Somali people and yet not understood by most others, should never be forgotten. If the others choose to ignore the your grievances, or to even acknowledge the reasons for your sentiments concerning a greater Somalia, then let them keep their heads in the sand. The only Unity we need is amongst each other, a Somaliland United and stronger than ever. They have the right to want Somaliweyn and cry for it if they choose so. But fear not, the times you described in your poem are long gone, the former Somalia republic is long dead. We have rebuilt our cities from ashes, our economy is prospering and we are stronger militarily than we had ever been. So what can they do to us? If only their lamentations and sobbing for Somaliweyn would transform into artillery shells than I would slightly be concerned.

India   

[/This discerning desire of selfish form synonymous with people who never came into direct contact with any form of persecution other than stories circulated within the family gatherings only turn people who would have felt sincere remorse for the genuine victims. Whilst the Samaritan acts are found inspirational, and carrying the torch on behalf of the victims is admired, the superficiality and discriminatory practice on the part of the Samaritans is not only criminally deafening but also gets in the way for rewarding the victims of all genre whilst penalising the culprits of all makes]

So Samuria our pain is not real experiances but mere stories? And So not worthy of any remorse and Zadiqa's and many Somalilanders experiances of bain and brutality is and I quote "superficial". How can you disregard the pain the sister shared with yuo so easliy? See it is EXACTLY acts like this that Somaliwey camp have committed against us. Oh it was the regime, no nothing has been committed against you.---and on and on they come with the excuses. Thank you Samuria, but you can not erase history so easily adeero. And by the way I am glad you bared all for people to see the HATE and Malice you have for Somaliland. It adds to our strength though icon_razz.gif

[whom suffered in the hands of generals of Northwest (i.e Mudug and Nugaal in the 80s) and SNM (i.e. Sool and Awdal in late 80s and early 90s), ] MR SAMURIA< I have asked you before nicely, next time I will not be so tolerant :mad: . Please leave your filth against the true heroes of ALL of "Somalia". They are simply ABOVE you. Men of stance and conviction--not the kind that hide behind pc to scholar the younger generation hate and lies. I take comfort in the fact that you would not dare utter such cowardly words in person. So enjoy your propoganda's--but bare in mind as far as we Somalilanders are concerned "they fall on deaf ears". :D

[/The future my dear is federalism, like it or loathe it, and the train is on the platform. Be seated in your allotted compartment. If no, “Waa adi iyo dantaa, iyo faraskaa ha ku qaado” as the old saying goes so far as the Somaliland of the present is concerned, and let us see how far the horse cart could drag you into the future. QUOTE] AND HOW EXACTLY DO ENVISAGE SOMALILAND JOINING THIS FEDERAL "MAKE SHIFT" GOVERNMENT-BY FORCE. PATHETIC. Just like the cow dung huts in the southern regions that wash away as soon as the rain season arrives my dear uncle samuria, the make shift govt will not last a season.

[/QIf the desired future as Halima7 seems to suggest is one similar to that of DJibouti fraught with all the ills of the world including 16 year old boys and girls in godforsaken state lining up outside five-star hotels, soliciting and falling prey to the paedophiles and the masochistic elements of the West disguised in philanthropy and patronage, and a whole state being dependent upon the donations and merciful handouts of the colonial mastersUOTE] you have just insulted a whole nation, the first that gave you one of those "make-shift" none functional govts I might remind you. See it is ok for Somaliwey to call others names...yet when someone challenges them then they all shout fall. Frankly Samuria, I find you immature. I have one word of advice "Grow-Up" monsiuer.

Zadiq sis I feel your pain. I dont think you will find one Somaliweyn person who will say the same yet they say it was the "regime". But if the regime is no longer around why are his actions being defended?

Finalement' I am happy becuase the more I vist this site the more I notice how envious they are of us, the prouder I am. The future is BRIGHT my fellow landers the future is Somaliland-as they say these day in Erigabo style "Somaliland wa Malab". :cool:

Peace

Dusty.

Sophist   

Samurai Sword

Such sagacious words make any man and women with ounce of wisdom applaud with elation. Samurai you have indeed quite brilliant exceedingly put your case, well done to you mate. The polymethic and wide-ranging it is not to mention the logical pattern it follows. Such is chap endowed with clear an shrewd mind. I applaud once again fro expressing what I have intended to say numerous times but time and perhaps shyness could not permit me.

Timacadeh

Uuh such a noble name with a feeble and lackadaisical nature! It would be an ill-thought if I even try to respond to you. Unwind your shenanigans for this chap would not indulge you further.

Ayoub Sheikh

Brother, the graves you refer to are housed by many of non Somalilanders (this of course does not mean the former British Somaliland). Some of these Somalis were murdered by current members of Hargeisa Adminstration. I can name few generals and captains at the time of the committed atroicies which obviously were carried out by your sons; these criminals are as follows: DhagaWeyne (he is from Berbera) Ina Kahin (Burco) Ina Mire and the other infamous Habane all these were spearheading the murderous acts that were commited in Mudug and Nugaal. Do you see people of these two regions wailing about that; the answer is no. Why then are the people of the Northwest obsessed with this victim-hood? Is it because their dead were more important tha that of other Somalis?

The Awdal Atrocities

We are well aware of what SNM did to people of Awdal right after when the former dictator was ousted from Mogadishu. It has been documented numerous horror experiences that have been endured by the people of Awdal. Wasn't the SNM, spearheading an entire division of Mengistu's troops, slaughtered five hundred fifty innocent people in Borama, Dila and Zeila on February 4th, 1991? And when the SNM had occupied, with the "philanthropic" assistance of these troops and had inherited the ammunition dumps in the north west of Somalia, the first step they took was a deliberate clan-cleansing against the people of Awdal from their homes in Gebiley, Hargeisa, Arabsiyo. To humiliate further the people of Awdal, didn't they hijack their elders and took them first to Harar (Ethiopia) in April 1991 and later to Burao where they were intimidated to sign a "obligatory declaration of independence" that has been prepared directly by "Mengistu Haile Mariam". Two ex-Ethiopian generals, violating directly the sovereignty of the Somali State, were directing that so-called conference at Burao. Thus, by carrying out these odious deeds that are contrary to whatever values or culture we shared as Somalis since the last millennium, the SNM dealt a mortal blow to any bonds of brotherhood and sisterhood we shared.

Where was the Somaliness in that? You can not tell me I should not speak about these horrendous things because you think I am not from Awdal. The life of a Somali that is taken with such heinous manner pains me whichever clan they belong to. Do not get me wrong; I despise what the late dictator did to ALL those who suffered at his hands; but I am not going to promote my political agendas under some victim-hood like the Jews are cleverly doing in the world.

Somiland as Independent State?

Come on now, border demarcation would have to take place if the people of Hargeisa and Burco want to break-away from the rest of Somalia. If they arguing that its their right to have sef-determination so as the people of SSH who made such a self-determination and made it public. Their fate lies with that of their beloved Somalis.

The Whole Somaliland thing is based upon injustices committed against one tribe in the north west. Okay people of SSH do not hold such a grudge against the Somalis consequently they shall remain in Somalia (that is the most logically lucid argument i have heard so far in this debate of Somaliland). Moreover, they indeed were supporters of Siyad Barre (do you know MOD, the latter word standing for the people of SSH). I don’t follow the logic that says we are going to break away because we have been wronged, killed and maimed; when the very people who have taken part (I am using collective guilt which is your favourite) such reside within the claimed territory of former British Somaliland? I just don’t follow it.

Ameenah

Walaalo, you have indeed hit the nail on the head. We should all forgive and learn from our hideously ghastly past for lead a better life in our new Somali State.

India   

"victim-hood like the Jews are cleverly doing in the world" by Sophist.

So now we are being compared to jews. Keep it coming Somaliweyn but remember it sure will not bring us back icon_razz.gif

Desperation is indeed an ugly site.

I will have time for the original poster because as usual some (not all) contributors have displayed the usual flair for dramtics.

That is a deep poem, it concludes "i shall forgive but never forget", i doubt no one can logically argue with such a sumetion.

But That isnt unfortunately what is happening Zadiqa.

Indeed most people in this fourm, (who were ((thankfully)) most certainly too young to even rember the truma and horror of ethinic War) are certainly not forgeting and are indeed employing victim-hood to push forward whatever they precieve to be right.

What is right is we move forward and whatever way best to do so should be adopted and promoted. So if i is separation then fine.

What should be avoided is the stirring up of old hatreds by revisiting past barbarism, which can only be distructive.

Dear Angel – you gonna have to stop emotionally blackmailing me and making me feel guilty for simply evoking the intellect, and bringing the take on the other side to the table so as to widen the sphere of reasoning in discussing these sensitive issues. If I slap you with the right hand, I will simultaneously hug you with the left, that my dear is tough love. And not hate. And remember “Oo Hadda Lagdin Walaal Ma Leh” as the old saying goes, and engaging intellectually wrestling matches with the (Somali) ladies is a new phenomenon for which we (men) might not have developed the finesse and skill yet.

Attempts have been made to remain objective on my part, yet you managed to have ripped the ploy to pieces by bringing in emotions, sentiments and young feelings which take the dialogue to a hostage territory. And as such I shall try to avoid you and my other Somali brothers/sisters from Somaliland at all cost going forward. And one last time please accept my deepest condolences for the loss of any lives of your immediate or distant family members who might have perished in the atrocities of the civil war.

Sister Zadiqa, same condolences go to you too dear.

Peace and Love.

So long!

somaliweyn

there are two things that the pro-somaliweyn guys here dont seem to understand. i will be frank and bold now and point out what they are.

1] the cold blooded murders, rape and pilaging of 150,000 innocent northeners is not forgivable and cannot be forgot. the southerners seem to think that it is but they are plainly ignorant in that aspect. one cannot forgive the one that murdered his/her father, mothere, grandparents uncles, children simply becuase they were from one clan. the somaliland society has now finally realised that the southerners cannot be trusted and still have aspects of their barbaric thoughts in them. we have given up the purge for somaliweyn which we once had. the south has destroyed our land has destroyed our hopes once to many and that is enough. when i moved away to the west i wanted payback and revenge but i am civil and a muslim and would never even think about that for the sake of islam and it's teachings.

2] the people of somaliland do not want to re-unite with the south. we would rather die then go back to that. the south is gonna have to get on with their lives instead of begging for us to come back because the giyamah will come before a re-unification comes. the south is gonna have to show it's barbarism in order to force somaliland to re-unite. they are gonna have to kill every somalilander before unification is possible. if that is what you want then bring it on. because i am willing to die for my country and my people.