Sign in to follow this  
Viking

Iranian world judo champion refuses to face Israeli judoka

Viking   

One cannot help admiring the actions of our Iranians brothers at times like this. In Iran, maps don't contain the country "Israel" (it says Palestine) and that means that they don't recognise the Zionist nation. Then lady luck hands their judo champion an Israeli in the first round draw....

2004816025360.6-puff-iran.JPG

www.albawaba.com

August 14, 2004

Athens 2004: Iranian world judo champion refuses to face Israeli judoka

Iranian world judo champion Arash Miresmaili, who carried his country's flag in Friday's olympic games opening ceremony, has pulled out of the tournament because he refused to fight an Israeli.

The 23-year-old, twice a winner of the flyweight (under 66kg) world title, opted not to take on first round opponent Ehud Vaks of Israel as an express of support for Palestine.

"Although I have trained for months and was in good shape I refused to fight my Israeli opponent to sympathize with the suffering of the people of Palestine and I do not feel upset at all," Miresmaili told IRNA.

Students news agency ISNA quoted Iran's sports officials as saying Miresmaili still deserved the one billion Rial ($115,000) prize the Iranian olympic medal winners were promised by the Physical Education Organization.

"Miresmaili must receive a special prize as he was the prime candidate for a gold medal and I will do my best about it," said head of the Judo Federation, Mohammad Derakhshan. (albawaba.com)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 2004 The Daily Star

Monday, August 16, 2004

Iranian under investigation after Israeli boycott threat

Officials suspect Miresmaeili of intentionally failing weigh-in

By Agence France Presse (AFP)

ATHENS: Iran's world judo champion Arash Miresmaeili is facing an investigation into whether or not he deliberately failed to make the weight for his opening Olympic Games bout to avoid fighting an Israeli.

"We are examining the case very, very seriously," International Judo Federation (IJF) spokesman Michel Brousse said.

The IJF executive committee held a meeting Sunday and will meet again on Monday to discuss the controversy which has rumbled on for three days after the Iranian threatened to boycott his featherweight opener against Israel's Ehud Vaks.

In Tehran, meanwhile, Iranian President Mohammad Khatami as well as the media were heaping praise of their fighter saying his protest was justified.

Miresmaeili, 23, who carried his country's flag in Friday's opening ceremony, came to the weigh-in early Sunday but tipped the scale over the limit of 66 kilograms.

He was two kilograms overweight, a source told AFP.

"The IJF is very surprised that such an elite player could not manage to make his weight," Brousse said.

"Maybe he has a diet problem. Maybe he could have had some problems in preparation. We have to know more about it," he said. "If a decision has to be made, a decision will be made."

Heavily favored Miresmaeili, who could have become the first Iranian to win an Olympic judo medal, was drawn to take on Vaks in the first round, but was reportedly refusing to fight as a gesture of support for the Palestinian cause.

Vaks said he felt sorry for the Iranian whom, he said, was forced to opt out of the match because of national policy.

"It's horrible for him. I can imagine the way you feel when you lose but it is even worse because they don't let you fight," Vaks, 25, said after losing on points to Algerian Amar Meridia in his rescheduled first fight.

"I admire him as a real good fighter and great judo player. On the personal level, I'm really sorry for him and on the national level as well."

Miresmaeili had been quoted by the Iranian media as saying he would refuse to fight an Israeli as a gesture of support for the Palestinian territories.

"Although I have trained for months and was in good shape I refused to fight my Israeli opponent to sympathize with the suffering of the people of Palestine and I do not feel upset at all," Miresmaeili told the IRNA news agency.

However, on Saturday, the head of the Iranian judo federation insisted that Miresmaeili would go ahead with the opening round fight.

"Miresmaeili will be on the mat in good time to fight against the sportsman from Israel," said Iranian judo chief Mohammad Derakhshan Mobarak. It is not the first time Iranian judokas have declined to fight against Israeli opponents. At the 2001 world championships, Mahed Malekmohammdi refused to face Yoel Razvozov while Asian champion Masoud Haji Akhoundzade also pulled out of a planned clash with Israeli lightweight Zvi Shafran.

In Tehran on Saturday, it was reported that Miresmaeili was still due to receive a $115,000-dollar cash purse set aside by the Iranian authorities for gold medal winners.

Meanwhile, Khatami came out in support of Miresmaeili.

"The great act of our self-sacrificing champion, Arash Miresmaeili, who gave up the Olympic medal in protest of massacre, terrorism and usurpation will be recorded among our national glories," Khatami said, cited by state television.

By Shigemi Sato, Agence France Presse

Copyright © 2004 The Daily Star

Gabbal   

However, on Saturday, the head of the Iranian judo federation insisted that Miresmaeili would go ahead with the opening round fight.

"Miresmaeili will be on the mat in good time to fight against the sportsman from Israel," said Iranian judo chief Mohammad Derakhshan Mobarak.

It is quite interesting, but if Aresh didn't fight, then why is the Iranian judo federation insisting "that Miresmaeili would go ahead with the opening round fight?"

mojam   

Well, i think that's just retarded. You know politics & sports don't mix.

Either way wouldn't it be better if he kicked this Israeli athletes **** than to pull out?

Rokko   

I wished he could've kicked his asssss and save the last knock and say this is for my bro/sis in Palestine that would've been a true Intifada in action namean..

Sincere   

He was two kilograms overweight....Maybe he has a diet problem. Maybe he could have had some problems in preparation

I wonder if this would have been even mentioned if he went ahead with the fight. Amazing how technicalities come to light when there's conflict.

Yeniceri   

Politics & sports don't mix? I thought politics was involved in everything. Huh, go figure.

I think the way the Iranian champ responded was more effective, to coincide with the Israel-less map. The Iranians are tough, but next on New Roman Empire's target list. I hope they're ready.

Viking   

For us Muslims, there is now way of seperating politics from religion, and even religion from sports. I attended a lecture by Sheikh Quick recently where (among other issues) he talked about the olympics. He applauded the Iranians and also warned us to beware of the 'illusion' that these games seem to spread, making billions of people forget about the real life. He said that we should tell our children about how idolatry of the Greeks was well integrated in these sports. He talked about Eros, Nike and other Greek idols that are present in these games. He talked about the all important role of Eros in these games and how we should not forget to lower our gaze.