Sign in to follow this  
-Nomadique-

Leave Somalia or face all-out war, Ethiopia told

Leave Somalia or face all-out war, Ethiopia told

Asmara, Eritrea

18 April 2007 05:58

Ethiopia must withdraw its troops from Somalia immediately or face an all-out war that "no army" could resist, three senior Somali leaders warned on Wednesday.

The three, including top Islamist leader Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed and Hussein Aidid, who holds a post in Somalia's government, were meeting in the Eritrean capital for talks.

Aidid said Somalis will unite against the "brutal occupation" of Ethiopian forces, who earlier this year helped the government's armed forces wrest control of much of Somalia from an Islamist movement.

"Up until now we [have used] dialogue to remove them but if they refuse to cooperate ... we will set everything aside to remove the Ethiopians ourselves," Aidid told reporters.

Sporadic fighting has continued between Ethiopian troops and insurgents in Mogadishu since government troops returned to the capital.

The three leaders, who shared a stage under a Somali map emblazoned with a dove and the logo "Somalia for Somalis", warned that the situation in the war-torn nation would deteriorate if Ethiopia failed to withdraw.

"Less than 10% of our forces are on the ground against the Ethiopians. No army, I can tell you that, can stop what is coming up," Aidid said.

Aidid, who holds the post of deputy prime minister and housing minister and is a member of the ****** clan that holds sway in the capital, Mogadishu, said the three leaders only wanted to work for peace in Somalia.

"The aim is to create dialogue among our people after 16 years of civil war to act as a platform for reconciliation," he said.

Despite his government posts, Aidid has openly opposed the presence of Ethiopian troops in Somalia.

The third leader, Sheikh Sharif Hassan Aden, was ousted from his post as Parliament speaker in January. He was accused of being too close to the Islamists.

Eritrea, which has been accused of backing the Islamists, has called for Ethiopia to withdraw its troops. Asmara rejects the accusations.

Analysts have expressed fears that Ethiopia and Eritrea, still at odds over their unresolved 1998 to 2000 border conflict, may fight a proxy war in Somalia.

Somalia has lacked an effective central government since the ousting of former dictator Mohamed Siad Barre in 1991 touched off a bloody power struggle that exploded into inter-clan warfare.

More than 14 attempts to restore a functional government in Somalia have since failed. -- AFP

Source

Ebyan   

Originally posted by -Nomadique-:

Analysts have expressed fears that Ethiopia and Eritrea, still at odds over their unresolved 1998 to 2000 border conflict,
may
fight a proxy war in Somalia.

May? Isn't that exactly what's happening in Somalia? :confused:

Violet, you are ignoring the key points of this article.

1. Former enemies have publicly united to oppose the Ethiopian occupation.

2. They warn of increased resistance to the Ethiopian occupation.

What say you of it?

Ebyan   

I think Ethiopia and Eritrea need to butt out of our affairs, but that's not going to happen.

Resistance/opposition to this government is justified, but is an armed resistance the best thing for Somalia/Somalis? Let's just say the Ethiopians are kicked out of Somalia..How will we go about forming/establishing a new gov.?

Violet

There is a probability that we Somalis could establish a representative government, when and only when Ethiopian forces leave Somali and Warlords and besmirched individuals are ousted for good.

Don’t delude yourself dear, Somalis had managed to secure, pacify and tame Mogadishu on their own, without the military assistance of any foreign country for six months.

There is no doubt in my mind that we could make it work again, on our own, for the interest and benefit of our people and country.

Ebyan   

What happens between the time the TFG is ousted and a new government is established/takes power? Should the TFG dissolve, it's my belief that Somalia will return to the chaos and lawlessness of the past 16 yrs.

A unifying government can only be established when a third/alternative party arises. The diehard TFG-supporters will never support the establishment of another government(w/ elements of the ICU) in Eritrea and likewise the diehard anti-TFGers will never support this government even if the Ethiopians were to leave this very minute.

So in a nutshell:

TFG dissolves= return to chaos and lawlessness.

TFG finishes its term= Ethiopian domination for decades to come.

Either way we're screwed.

Ms DD   

Salaam

What is with these so-called leaders without principles? I held high regards for Sh Sharif however when he now allies himself with Aideed who helped bring the Ethiopians to our lands and was a strong supporter, it makes me think that we really dont have strong leaders here. If Aideed gets a better offer from Ethiopians/TFG, what is to stop him returning to them?

And now Qeybdiid is a police chief? Ka daroo dibi dhal!

Thierry.   

What happens between the time the TFG is ousted and a new government is established/takes power? Should the TFG dissolve, it's my belief that Somalia will return to the chaos and lawlessness of the past 16 yrs.

A unifying government can only be established when a third/alternative party arises. The diehard TFG-supporters will never support the establishment of another government(w/ elements of the ICU) in Eritrea and likewise the diehard anti-TFGers will never support this government even if the Ethiopians were to leave this very minute.

So in a nutshell:

TFG dissolves= return to chaos and lawlessness.

TFG finishes its term= Ethiopian domination for decades to come.

Either way we're screwed.

Not necessarily if the TFG takes the advice of the Somali intellectuals who want to see their country prosper then they will realise that reconciliation is the only way.

1) Put a date on the end of the Ethiopian aggression

2) Follow the advice of professor Samater they are very sound I am sure brother Paragon can provide you it.

We are in a deep whole that we have dug our self in, last thing we need now is uneducated men who have no vision beyond their shoe lasses to make strategic decision for us.

Under Prof Samaters proposal power vacuum will be avoided by giving power to each regions selective elders.

On the Issue of Qaybdeed being made chief of police the TFG is trying to patch up a sinking ship.

Making a resident of head of the police will not unite the people behind this foreign aided interim government, people are not blind they can see that it is Ethiopia that is flexing muscle in the Capital of Somalia, the sooner they get out of the country the sooner we can reconcile.

If they TFG is under hostage then say so and you will see the whole of Somalia unite against these aggressors, but as long as they represent Ethiopia they do not represent Somalia

It would have been so much easier had the ICU still been in town. Somalis never know a good thing when they see it and now they have to live with the damage. I'd unite with Eitrea anyday against bloody habashis. May they all burn in hell :-P!

Violet I'd rather be screwed on my own terms with out interference then be ruled and rapped by the Ethiopians!

Thierry has covered it well.

It is pretty much a given that the TFG will not survive in Post-ocuupied Somalia. Somehow I don't imagine Yusuf or Geedi would want to stick around for long. So Violet, if the Ethiopians were to leave right now expect their puppets to hitch a ride out with them. :D

Abwaan   

Originally posted by Violet:

May? Isn't that exactly what's happening in Somalia? :confused:

[/QB]

Does this mean you admitting you support Ethiopian Agenda and do not care about Somalia?

Ebyan   

Dhulqarnayn -alSumaale;

There is some sense of law-and-order in most of the country.

Ms Dhucdhuc & Dheylo;

Aideed Jr. is scum, but Sharif Ahmed needs as many allies as he can get. You can't blame a man in his position.

Thierry;

There's no if..The TFG is under hostage. They can't make any decisions without the approval of the Ethiopians, so I'd be shell-shocked if they were to speak out against the Ethiopians. Even if the Ethiopians do "pull out" their troops..They'll still have great influence over the TFG.

Anyway, sounds like a great plan..

Intuition;

Unite with Eritrea? You're kidding me, right? Ethiopians and Eritreans are both Habashi. I'd rather they both stay out of our affairs, but Somalia is a strategic country in the region, so that's not likely to ever happen.

Nomadique-;

True. The TFG can't survive with Ethiopia, but I don't think any harm will come to A/Y or Geedi. Regardless of what they’ve done, they'll seek (and get) protection from their respective tribes. ;)

Abaayo who are these puppets you are referring to? :D

Abwaan;

Men suffer from tunnelvision, women don't. Fair enough of an answer for you? :rolleyes: