Sign in to follow this  
Nur

Let us shape how Islam is perceived by Non Muslims, through our kind actions

Nur   

Let us shape how Islam is perceived by Non Muslims, through our kind actions

Every action we do is representative of our values and belief system. If the action is favorable, the observer's subconscious will tie our actions with our declared beliefs, if on the other hand our actions are not representative of what we claim to believe, then, we have just committed a sin against a fellow human being by confusing them and as a result denying them the chance to join a great faith that teaches all that is good and forbids all that is evil.

Unlike American Soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan who are there with a false claim to preach freedom and Democracy, ( Real Objective, slavery and Oil) Th Muslim armies in the seventh century, once they have conquered their adversaries militarily, they immediately led an austerely humble and piously brotherly life, which won the love and affection of the conquered nations. The behaviour of the Muslim soldier in these early days was driven by the search of Allah's mercy, not Salary, and to rid humans off their corrupt rulers who have dealt with their subjects with disdain, once the Muslim armies liberated a nation, The new conquerors lived by their book, The Holy Quran, in effect becoming a living example for the faith they came to share with their conquered fellow man-turned brother.

Today, Islam as a concept is still winning hearts and minds across barriers of deceptive western media and unfair adversaries, however, nothing can verify any false accusation against our faith worse than our actions.

The intention of this thread is not to recreate a past glory for Islam, my honest desire is not to confuse the honest non Muslim into believing that Islam is what our adversaries say about it, thereby denying them the right of true information of our great faith, so in that sense the we need to reevaluate our behaviour as Muslims when we come in contact with Non-Muslims in their own backyards.

It is easy to cry and complain that there is an orchetstrated effort to defame islam and rightfully so in these days, but, it is our duty to show through our actions and words that we mean good for fellow man, not annihilation, caring for their wellbeing in this life and next, not blind animosity, cooperation, not confrontation, only then can the non-Muslim begin to understand that our faith is for his salvation, and not his annihilation as the daily media dosage prescribes.

Once we cross that mental barrier, what naturally follows is a sympathetic dialogue, and as person who made positive relationship with Christians , Jews and Hindus, I must admit that we Muslims are the worse enemies of our own faith when it comes to how we project it outwordly through our actions or the lack of it.

In New York, I had the pleasure of talking to a Jewish American about current affairs, the man could not help but hug me at the end of the conversation, I told him about the story of the Israelites in the Quraan, how Allah SWT has honred them, and how much gratitude they owe Allah in return for his favors, reading verse after other, the man was humbled, did I sell Islam out? nope, did he sell out Judaism? Nope, it was like a frisbee game, winning was not the end, understanding each other well while having good time was the objective, and for me it was one of the most memorable moments I can remember of a person who belongs to a faith that is in conflict with our faith.

We need to observe our faith from the point of view of others, from the start, some of us place barriers between them and others they come in contact, and because of that barrier, the other person does not feel comfortable enough in asking questions nor understanding our faith as it relates to their faith, specially with the risidual prejudice the media has painted Islam in their minds. The solution is to open up to others, invite them to our homes, discuss with them and address their fears about our faith and people.

What do you think will happen if you knock next doors neighbors door and offer help with their fall cleaning or their lawn? inviting them for a cup of tea in your house, or attending the graduation of their son or daughter? remember that these are key Sunnah behaviour of our Prophet SAWS that have been forgotten. To reach and chat with your neighbors and be of help to them..

I believe if Muslims in the west kept that positive attitude that in a matter of few years the same media we complain of always writing unfavorable articles about Muslims will change its language and write positive ones.

You may say, that as Muslims, no matter what we do, the media will always interpret our actions as negative, and the following joke best illustrates that fear:

A Pakistani guy is sitting on a bench in Central Park New York in a nice day when a dog attacks a little boy, the Pakistani jumbs out to help the boy and ends up saving the boy and killing the dog, the new York Time reporter shows up and tells the man he will write a great story about a New Yorker hero who saves life of a little boy from attack of a fierce dog in central Park, The Pakistani politely tells the reporter that he is not a New Yorker, then the the Reporter suggestes, to write about an American Tourist hero who saves a little boy from a fierce dog in central Park, the Pakistani guy again tells the Reporter that he is not an American tourist, that he is a Pakistani tourist, the next day the new York times headline read " A Pakistani terrorits attacks and kills a pet dog in central park"

That joke and similar ones show the Rodney Dangerfield anxiety of Muslims in USA, they just dont get enough respect no matter what, but that notion in addition of being defeatist is wrong, on the average no day passes in which an American convert does not embrace Islam, why not dwell on that fact? the fact that, with all of our framed "bad image" , some wise non-Muslims are still sifting through the rubble of disinformation to get to the bottom of the issues of our faith, and then making an educated choice to join the rank of this embattled faith at the worst time ever. The question to ask is what can each and everyone of us do to project a lasting good imppression of Islam to those we encounter at school or at work, regardless of their attitude toward us?

The answer is simple, and the rewards are immense, we can for one, be a living example of what we say we believe, and what we do today matters, because the mess we are in today, is what other Muslims have done yesterday, we need to take the pieces and move on with positive outlook, and frankly speaking, is there a substitute to that option?

Nur

2004 i-Nuri Softwaano Series

Respect others to be respected.

Wiilo   

Nur sxb excellent posting, by the way, iam writing a paper about "How the Western (Human Rights) misunderstand and misinterprepret the principles of Islam religion, and how the religion gives rights to women?" For my Global Studies Class or International Relations, as some pple call it.

Wabillaahi Towfiiq:

Nur   

Wiilo sis

Go for it, we need to present Islam in its objectivity, universal message of inner peace, tolerance, clean living, environmental friendliness, ( Weapons of Mass Destruction of all living things are Haraam, even as a deterent), goodwill for all mankind and hope, Allah is Good, he loves Goodness. Removing evil takes tactfulness, wisdom and a lot of patience and perseverance.

Nur

Thank you for the reminder. I have a story to tell..

A few weeks ago, I came into contact with an Israeli woman who does not follow any organised religion but belives in the existence and the oneness of God. Within minutes of meeting her she bombarded me with every cliched question and negative impression of Islam that she had. I found her approach blunt and crude. What made her think a stranger(I) wanted to hear what she had to say about my faith. Still, I answered her questions and we parted. She came across as a non-believer. The next time we met, religion came up again but this time she was more relaxed and revealed that she was always thinking about faith(Islam, Christianity etc). She found the faiths controlling of man. When I asked her how we could live in a just world without the laws that 'control' us, she was stumped.

This time she asked about Islam and didn't provide her opinions. I think her worry about control and rules stems from her knowledge of and exposure to Judaism, certainly she knew little of Islam aside from the usual imsconceptions. It was then that she revealed she believed in God.

I feel no shame in admitting that I prayed about this woman and asked for guidance on how to deal with her. I did not want to place myself in a position where I might compromise my faith. So every time she came into my head, I asked God for guidance.

By the end of the second encounter, we had both learned from one another. I left with the overwhelming feeling that this woman(who once did not believe in the existence of God) was now a true blue believer in His existence. She was happy to have 'found' Him and felt sure in the knowledge that he would guide her. She helped me remember Tawheed. As someone who was born into Islam, I will never know what it is to be convinced of the existence of God and embrace it greedily as an adult. It has always been that way- there is one God. The most important of principles repeated day after day but how often do I stop to say: there is a God and that brings me joy. And how often do I verbalise it to another human being?

Secondly, she reminded me of charity. She has less than I do but gives more than I do. Reminder!! How grateful I am for that. I have stepped up my charitable gestures as a result. And so while I was worrying about how to protect myself from her she had two valuable reminders for me in time for Ramadan. I would like to think that when she's next asked about Islam, she may remember what I had to say and share it back in Israel or wherever she goes.

Ramadan began and I told her about my routine the next time we met. She could not believe that it was possible to work and get through most of the day without water. I assured her millions were at it as we spoke as had millions before us. I mentioned the night prayers and how I love the atmosphere there. Casually, I suggested she stop by the Mosque one time. I gave her a time when she could catch the end of the Taraweeh. I thought no more of it but continued to pray about her as she has taken a liking to me and seeks my company.

The next time she saw me, she needed my help. She was carrying out a charitable deed and needed my help. This was something I should be doing myself but am not! I agreed. I thought of all the times I have helped atheists at work or school. Here was someone who believed in God and gave in charity her time and money for Him- or so she says. She talks passionately about giving. I told her I'd help her out but that I'd be leaving for the nightly prayers at a certain time. That was when she asked if she could accompany me to the Mosque that night. You could have knocked me down with a feather. Of course, I said.

She turned up at my doorstep later. The plan was to help her but we talked and I cooked in readiness for Iftar. She ate with me and was surprised and at how undemanding the Maghrib prayer was. That was quick, she said. We left for the Mosque after she told me about her project. I had not prompted her in any way but she came prepared. She pulled a skirt over her trousers and covered her head with a scarf. Inside, she sat at the back to avoid disrupting us. I prayed 2 rakahs looked back and My God, I hadn't dreamed it, she was actually there. I smiled internally. She asked a couple of questions. I said she could leave when she felt comfortable. 10 minutes later I looked back and she had gone.

I see her every few days. We don't talk about faith, at least she doesn't. For me it's a different story, all day I do things that my faith asks of me and when I mention them she asks for clarification. I am thankful to her as she has reminded me of Tawheed and Sadaqah. And to be passionate about what I believe in whomever I speak with.

Sorry for the length of the tale. It still continues and I still pray.

Sheherazade that was very interesting story sis i enjoyed it very much the length mattered Not. let us know how things go between you and her. keep us tuned.

Nur, jakallahu khairan walaal

Sareeda, it has been interesting for me. Yesterday she told me that she has been judging me and is fighting it. :) Well, what's new? I'm not taking it personally. She can't get over how I pray at a certain time or keep myself hungry. She finds it regimental and thinks it robs man of will. We had another discussion. I have choice, I told her, to follow Islam or not to. No one is holding a gun to my head.

She says she finds me intelligent i.e she can't work out how someone who comes across as intellignet would do what I do. I also sense she thinks I need saving as though from a cult. This is probably the first time she has come into contact properly with a Muslim. She's struggling with it but has told me she has decided not to judge me anymore. Maybe her heart will open up some more.

She has taken me into her confidence probably because I do not judge her openly. She has told me that she has decided to dress modestly. That she is sure she needs to this and that she wants to dress more like me but not all the way. Good for her. She is obviously going through a spiritual cleansing. I can't imagine her telling the other people she knows that she has decided to dress modestly and has given up on many of her negative excesses. She finds comfort in telling me as she knows I won't scoff.

It is interesting to be privy to another person's spiritual journey. Mostly we don't talk about it amongst ourselves but we should. It might help someone. Also, the more we talk about something to someone else, the clearer it becomes in our own minds.

Nur   

Sheherezad sis

A great story, that kind of attitude is what won Islam the east ( Indonesia, Malaysia, India etc) and its precisely thats how THE WEST WILL BE WON, through goodwill, not contempt, dialogue and not confrontation, passive protests and not violent standoffs, because looking back at our Islamic history, our Prophets example shows how he dealt with those he was preaching at different times, places and situations, at any given time, he used wisdom, or best way to preach, Salvation of others and not revenge, being his central unwavering objective.

Nur

Muhammad   

Asalaamu Alaykum

to succeed in this task, what we need most is a positive mental attitude - which we can only gain from Iman and Taqwa[trust in Allah(swt), his Qadr].

'Allah will suffice for us; He is sufficient.'

Pacifist   

Great article br Nur very good reminder must I say. Just yesterday I was attending a Diversity workshop which was mandatory for all MGR. They had a couple of scenerio put together and the trainee was talking about how after 9/11 it was very much important on understanding the diversity of the workshop. We were discussing how people were acting towards the muslims after 9/11. She showed a video about how the some of the muslims were discriminated against. The perpetuaters were solely ignorant or did not have much knowledge about our religion solely because the thought all muslims are terrorists. They asked how they could be a diversity agents instead of fighters, naive,avoiders or even the perpetuaters. My answer was through education and understand of our fellow employees religion. If they knew that our Islam is peace and not what they see on the media, I trully believe that people would act differently. She gave our property a test about how much we know about Islam and she praised us that our property had the highest scores she ever seen.

How do we expect people to know and understand Islam if we are rude, unfriendly, and unkind?

Simple things we can do like when you are walking in the street simply courtesy hello and a smile can do. That does wonders walahi. They always have questions about religion we just need to be open with them. My collegues are always asking can i ask you this Hasna I don't mean to offend you I am just curious. I usually say not all ask on and I make sure to point out that if they don't ask me how will they know. They want to ask question but they either don't want to offend us or they scared.

We need to be friendly to others and kind to other and show that we are not what they perceive us in the media.

I have another story when bush was attacking Iraq we had hugh protest in down town seattle and walahi most of the people there I would say may be 70% of the protesters were non muslims. Surprisingly I had this catholic preast come and thank me for joining the protest and I looked at him and said no thank you for coming. And he went on saying that although he was a priest he had all kinds of people asking him, He was not muslim and that he was a catholic why he was there. He answered don't I have the right to fight the injustice that his government was doing to the children, mothers, sisters and brothers of other faiths. He was working so hard giving water and even helping set up Asr prayer for us.

We must be the change we seek.. Gandie

Nur   

Pacifist walaal

Good points, deep down inside we are all alike, our fears and dreams are the same, it is only wise who put ourselves in others shoes before judging others or administring them pain. An American soldier in Iraq said that everytime he took the life of an Iraqi, part of his life went with it, when we attack others, it is because we ran out of power of persuation, and reason, the toughest of all battles.

Nur

Khalaf   

Indeed we are the ambassadors of Islam to the public.

A friend converted to Islam, alhamdu. Indeed only Alone guides but people will judge Islam from what they see in us. We play ball together and attend same school when time for prayer came we stopped and prayed salat, and the brother said that is what lead him to Islam. We never preached to him, our actions speak louder then words. he practices Islam with greater zeal then us today.

All praise is to Allah, Muslims are good people, welcoming to others when non-Muslims meet us they see true Islam. we should reach out more.

But not to compromise Islam. I joined this interfaith at my masjid, we went to a church right, all religious groups were there. Speaker from each group went up to podium to discuss the tenants of their faith, all the speakers talked about the similarities between religions, brotherhood and all that non-sense (Islam is peace Muslims are good people but come on, we know they hate the Muslims).

At the end of ceremony, candles were light (didn’t get one its innovation), church choir sung people stood up, I sat (not our tradition), it was pity seeing some of the Muslims among our group signing psalms and hollaluya. That was the end for me with interfaith groups. We should follow the way of the companions-be the Qu’ran in action but we shouldn’t become softy softy to please our neighbors on issues we differ on.

Ps: Nur JZK brother for taking time to taking these articles from archives.

salaamu lah

Nur   

Nomads

Its another reminder to unglue our minds from the traps set by the media to foment activities that cleverly play into hands of those keen to cause mischief on earth. They can not make enough evil and mischeif witout tagging Muslims as the bad guys, while they are always the good reasonable guys, its not easy to act justly to an enemy bent on your destruction, while you are trying to save him from helfire.

Allah SWT says:

" O ye who believe, do not let anger toward a folk (who do injustice to you )cause you not to be just toward them, be just, that is closer to piety"

Remember, that we have an eternal responsibility to portray our faith to non-Muslims as Allah wanted, true, kind and make no mistake about it, no compromising on its message to mankind. The way we behave in such a testing time, can help others see us fairly enough. Lets untangle mental chains from within and from without that limit our perception of our preaching responsibilities in light of the situation we find ourselves in, after all, we are supposed to be serving Allah SWT.

Nur

Positive   

Nur,

I thoought I was reading the words of Sufi until I saw the users name. Mansha Allah this is good- if we would show those good qualities in deeds.

The Awakener2