Sign in to follow this  
Sophist

SRSG on the agreement between Somali leaders

Sophist   

United Nations Political Office for Somalia (UNPOS)

For Immediate Release

PRESS RELEASE 0022/2008

Nairobi, 28 August 2008 - The UN Special Representative for Somalia, Ahmedou Ould-Abdallah, has welcomed the agreement signed by Somalia’s leaders in Addis Ababa on 25 August 2008.

Under this agreement, facilitated by the Government of Ethiopia under the auspices of IGAD, President Yusuf, the Speaker of Parliament Sheikh Aden Madobe and Prime Minister Hussein have resolved to promote reconciliation, the rule of law and good governance in Somalia. They also full committed themselves to implement the Djibouti Agreement.

“I would like to congratulate the leaders on their agreement. This is a good step forward which will strengthen the TFG in their partnership with the ARS and other Somalis for peace in the country,” stated Mr Ould-Abdallah. “I also congratulate them on their continuing support for the Djibouti Agreement.”

is a good step forward which will strengthen the TFG in their partnership with the ARS and other Somalis for peace in the countr.

My sentiment exactly!

^^Somali conflict has different dimensions and multitude of variables in both sides of the equation. But since bahashu ay hadda **** la qabto leedahay, in labada group midkood sii sarifmaa will prove disastrous in the long run, and it’s not something any keen observer would welcome. On that score the point Ahmed Walad makes is quite germane.

TFG is broken, but it does still has a scrap value.

Sophist   

Xiin, Indeed. But the prize I was reffering to was the young lads with effective AK47! I blv that there hsnt been a proper 'dirin fidin' for these young brothers.

^^That's a legitimate concern, Sophist!

But the minute Ethiopia leaves the scene, majority of the these young lads will have different priorities. The challenge is how to get Ethiopia out while AK47s are blazing...

Allow sahal!

Coloow   

Ahmedou Ould-Abdallah's constant press releases and voicing of opinions on various somali websites will not change a thing. He would help the somali cause if he liasons with international courts of justice in the Hague. He is doing what kofi Annan did in Rwanda.

The so called "leaders" are actually thugs. He should make that clear. The AK-loaded lads in Muqdisho have no leaders. They are the result of an ethiopian occupation and the human rights abuses of the TFG and years of wars.

Abdullahi yusuf, Nuur Cade and the opposition who are holed up in several overseas hotels don't represent the somali people. Nin daar ku jira daruur ma arko.

Will he release that in part reads " Following a thorough analysis of the situation, the UN have come to the conclusion of issuing a warrant of arrest to....xxxxx."?