Sign in to follow this  
Suldaanka

Congratulations to President Elect Muj. A.M.M (Silaanyo)

Firstly let me congratulate the president elect Mudane Madaxweyne Mujaahid Alxaaji Ahmed Maxamed Maxamoud (Siilaanyo). This is a man who is not new to the SL political arena and hence requires no introduction.

Secondly, I would equally like to congratulate Mudane Madaxweyne-Tagay (Former President) of Somaliland Daahir Rayaale Kaahin. Mudane Daahir will leave a legacy of his own as he leaves this office. He will be remembered for many things but specialy for preciding over the democratisation process of Somaliland which today beared fruits.

For the new team that will be replacing the current one. Let me remind you of Abwaan Qassim's wise words back in the 1960s.

Ma draato raa-kaan dhigaan, dib ugu soo laabatay,

Siddii aan dayeys nahay miyaan, dawgi ka halaabay,

Isma doorin gaal-kaandiray, iyo daarta kii galaye,

Dusha midabka somali baad, dugulka moodaaye,

Bal muxuu micneeyee i taray, minsitar-kaan doortay

The people voted for change and we expect a profound change in every respect of governance in Somaliland. The ball is in your courts Gents.

My sincere condolences to my fallow Somalis in the north. You have now elected a war criminal who himself admitted that he was responsible for the killing and displacing a great number of Somalis in 1988. now that he is your leader I am afraid, the stability that you have enjoyed for the last 20 years has come to and end.

Thankful   

When ever a region in Somalia is capable of switching power peaceful, it's a cause for celebration. Hopefully all parties will shake hands and agree to work together. Regardless this is a monumental time in Somalia's history.

Thankful   

Oodweyne, every other country in the world considers it a region in Somalia. So please dont blame me for saying it also.

But let's not take away from this day, I believe the fact the results were released on July 1st might be a sign of things to come. At the very least we still have another reason to celebrate the 1st of July! Because, NW Somalia had a peaceful transfer of power.

I am certain that the 3 party leaders will sit side by side and accept this.

It's a day for all to celebrate.

Thankful   

Oodwenye, I give credit where it is due. Unlike many who only want to support their unclave.

Now the south has it's issues but in some area's they have limited or got rid of the drug trade of khat, which is no small feet. Puntland was able to have someone step down and let another take over, which is also impressive. NW Somalia held democratic elections in the heart of their region. Now we just need to put everything together, take the good and get rid of the bad.

All Somalis should be happy about with what happened today in NW Somalia.

Thankful   

Just like our fellow country men are celebrating on the streets of Hargeysa the date of July 1st (as Mohamed Adow reports), which is the 50th anniversary of independence from Italy, we also celebrate with them an amazing accomplishment in our countries history.

We will all have reason now to celebrating two historic moments on July 1st.

Well done.

Al Jazeera

Opposition wins Somaliland vote

Opposition leader Silanyo won 49.59 per cent of all votes casted in Somaliland elections [AFP]

Ahmed Mohamed Silanyo, the leader of the opposition, has won presidential elections in

the breakaway region of Somaliland, northwest of Somalia, electoral officials said.

The head of the Tulmiye (Unity) party won 49.59 per cent of all votes cast, while the party of Dahir Rayale Kahin, the incumbent president, managed just 33.23 per cent, the National Election Commission (NEC) said on Thursday.

The Justice and Welfare party was third with 17.18 per cent of the vote.

"There's a lot of jubilation on the streets today as the country is also celebrating 50 years of independence from Italy," Al Jazeera's Mohamed Adow, reporting from the Somaliland capital of Hargeisa, said.

"[silanyo] is a very well-known figure and somebody who is clearly held with high esteem since he won the majority of votes in the elections.

"He is an economist who graduated from the University of Manchester and also has a degree from the London School of Economics.

"Afterwards he joined the government of Somalia in the capital Mogadishu, but then led the Somali National Movement, a rebel group which liberated the northern territory on which Somaliland now stands."

'Step towards democratisation'

International observers said the election had been largely free and fair despite some irregularities, such as the ruling party using public funds, state media and vehicles for its campaign.

"This is an important election for the people of Somaliland. It is also one more step toward the democratisation of the country," Essa Yusuf Mohammed, the NEC chairman, said in announcing the results.

"The election was free and fair as witnessed by the international observers and this is a step that will lead to the recognition of the country."

Somaliland, colonised by Britain while the rest of Somalia was under Italian administration, declared independence in 1991 as the remainder of the country disintegrated into anarchy.

Despite its relative stability and the establishment of democratic institutions, Somaliland has yet to be recognised internationally but hopes a smooth transition of power will help its international image.

There were 1.09 million registered voters in the region of 3.5 million people, and 538,000 valid votes were cast.

The supreme court must endorse the results within 15 days and the incumbent president hand over within 30 days.

Hunguri   

Congratulations to Ahmad Siilaanyo. He deserves to win the presidency chair and lead Somali land. He is a veteran Somali politician who wins by merit.

Suldaanka, I just want to ask you a question:

SNM ma qabiil ayay ahayd, oo idinkaa lahaa mise waxay ahayd urrur siyaasi ah. Ma waxay ahayd Xisbi siyaasi ah, mise reer gaar ah ayaa samaystay oo waxay u samaysteen inay dano gaar ah oo ay lahaayeen ku fushudaan?

Saaxiib bal iiga jawaab!

Hambalyo to Ahmed Silaanyo and to the peaceful transfer of power and Hambalyo to Dahir Riyaale even though he delayed elections but finally he is dethroned peacefully.

Somalia had peaceful transfer of power, first in Africa, and the people of Somaliland remind us of our pastoral democratic tradition. Let us pray that the rest of Somalia follow suit and take the path of peace and democracy.

My heartfelt congrats to Siilaanyo, the new leader of Somaliland state. Wax badan ayaa la yidhi, "waar bal nin reerka ah noo keena marka hore, aanu la xaajoonee", let us see how Siilaanyo handles his responsibilities. :D

I expect Mr. Siilaanyo to tread the political waters carefully when it comes to the issue of secession. His win is far from the catalyst some are depicting it as, for a new secessionist movement. It is my prediction that Siilaanyo’s admin will strategically employ the same “false piety” talking points as the previous admin (waanu go’nay, dowlad baanu nahay, etc) just to quell the cries of the opposition parties. At worst (for the secessionists), the long-awaited election of a man from Togdheer, may perhaps usher in a new sense of realism among the region’s elites that the current “theoretical pursuit” for secession is not only politically unattainable but that the project as a whole has become somewhat perverse and contrary to their rigid sense of pragmatism.

Again, congrats to new President-Elect of Somaliland.

Abtigiis   

I am a staunch supporter and admirer of Mujaahid Silaanyo who is a good man, but led a fascist organisation and managed to avert potential bloodshed the SNM could have done to others.

Now that one of the Xaqlayaal is at the helm, let us hope it will give him the authority to deal with the issue of Somalinimo in a more principled way, than mere baayac-mushatar perspective as Riyaale was doing.