Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Somaliland frees Puntland Pows — Puntland Vows to Retake Las Anod City

For the relatives of Puntland prisoners held in Somaliland, what is more exciting news than the reports that their loved ones—over 60 men including the top Puntland commanders namely, Col. Deyr Cabdi and Col. Siciid Doob—who were captured in recent fighting in Sool region would soon be freed? Of course, releasing these prisoners without a doubt is yet another testimony of Somaliland’s determination to pacify the region.

And while also many people enthusiastically welcome the release of the combatants, Puntland continues its war rhetoric against Somaliland rather than make peace with it. Just one day after Somaliland announced that it would release all Puntland prisoners captured few months ago, Punltand Ministers convened a meeting where they surprisingly agreed to retake Las Anod. (See these reports: http://tinyurl.com/32kw7b & http://tinyurl.com/2sl9fx) So, after all, was the release of the prisoners a smart move? Maybe! Maybe not!

Don’t get me wrong. Like many Somalilanders, I commend President Riyale Kahin’s decision to release the prisoners of war POWs. It is a good gesture. In fact, the best way to defeat your “enemies” is to shake their hands. And that is exactly what the president is doing. Equally, I also commend Sool politicians in Somaliland for their enormous efforts to secure the release of the prisoners. Now, yet another question creeps into my mind. What assurance does Somaliland has that the commanders like Col. Deyr Cabdi and Col. Siciid Doob who are about to be freed won’t lead the next battle against Somaliland? Clearly, the answer to that question is: none.

Meanwhile, Puntland didn’t even acknowledge that its top commanders and dozens of their soldiers were captured in the battlefields in Sool region of Somaliland, much less demand their release. Additionally, Puntland rather than battle against Somaliland a frontline near the border between the two administrations, it chose to arm Somaliland tribes and hopes that they would do the dirty work for Puntland. This is smart move for Puntland for two reasons. First, the conflict takes place in Somaliland, not in Puntland, or at least that seems to be the plan.

Second, for Puntland rather than have its troops engage a bloody war with Somaliland forces, it uses Sool tribes as the bulwark against well-armed and trained Somaliland troops. Puntland knows there is no match. However, its goal is: once Somaliland troops either kill or capture a large number of tribal militias, the Sool population is verly likely to wage a war against Somaliland government, and this may possibly engulf the entire Somaliland—a tribal war and mayhem would be inevitable.

On the other hand, Hargaisa—Somaliland capital—shrewdly avoids falling into this diabolical trap. Understandably, the government is caught between a rock and a hard place. Keeping the fighters in prison is not only costly but it may also infuriate many people in Sool region. Furthermore, the anti-Somaliland groups would beat the tribal war drums and scream about how allegedly hundreds of people from Las Anod, the capital of Sool province, area are crowded into the notorious Mandheera prison. (During the former Somali regime’s era, many Somalilanders spent years in Mandheera prison, near port Berbara, Somaliland). The flip side of releasing Puntland prisoners is that they could easily rejoin the battlefields and kill as many Somaliland soldiers as possible. Should they be freed or kept? Damned if you do, damned if you don’t! This is the dilemma for Hargaisa.

Strangely enough, while the release of the POWs might seem goodwill on Somaliland’s part, it also reveals Hargaisa’s hypocritically approaches to different situations in the country. For instance, men like Col. Deyr Cabdi and Col. Siciid Doob who not only attacked Somaliland but also killed its soldiers inside Somaliland are about to be released in less than two months after their captures, but the Somaliland opposition party QARAN politicians, Dr. Mohammed Abdi Gaboose, Eng. Mohammed Hashi Ilmi and Jamal Aidid Ibrahim, who neither attacked Somaliland nor caused deaths were kept in the notorious Mandheera prison for up to almost 5 months, before they were released in December 2007. (See my article: Who is Dr. Gaboose? http://tinyurl.com/yqh5m4) What is going on? What is the message here?

Attack Somaliland, kill its soldiers and you would only serve few months in prison. On the other hand, if you exercise your democratic rights peacefully, you would call Mandheera prison home. That is the message I’m getting. God forbid, but maybe next time someone may kill a Somaliland politician in Sool region, and the perpetrator may get vacation and bonus packages, much less charge him crimes. Who knows? This seems to be the trend. And this explains why while Somaliland is busy freeing POWs, Puntland is gearing up for another showdown with Somaliland, possibly led by the same commanders that are about to be set free.

Undoubtedly, Garowe—the Puntland capital—has many problems of its own, so beating war drums won’t soothe the pain caused by corruption, human trafficking, printing counterfeit money, kidnapping foreign nationals, its troops attacking banks, roadblocks littered throughout its region, insecurity and killings in major cities such as, Bossaso and Galkacyo.

Also, the naïve assumption that Somaliland troops would wait until they get attacked—time and time again—may have been stretched little too thin. Soon Somaliland may decide to take the battle into Puntland territory for change. Of course, we’ll pray to God that never happens; after all, there is nothing to gain from killing another Somali person. But for how long could Puntland keep stirring up trouble in Somaliland?

To sum up, releasing Puntland POWs is a commendable strategic foresight. However, there is no guarantee that they won’t come back to the battlefields, if need be.

Also Hargaisa’s inconsistent policy towards those who “break” the law could back fire. If QARAN party members who have done nothing more than exercising their democratic rights were kept in the infamous Mandheera prison and threatened to be charged by the government, why Puntland POWs who not only attacked Somaliland but also killed its soldiers would be set free so easily? It is clearly a double standard which is too obvious to anyone who has followed the government’s policy towards QARAN party members.

As for Puntland, it should advocate for peace not for war. Both Puntland and Somaliland have a lot to gain from cooperating economically and militarily rather than fighting.

And despite Puntland’s incursions into Somaliland territory, it is time for Hargaisa to swallow its pride, be a big sister, and extend its hand to reach out Garowe in an effort to establish a friendship relationship between the two Somali societies. It is time to end the sad history of war between Hargaisa and Garowe that has been evolving for the past decade and a half. Let’s give peace a chance.

Dalmar Kaahin

Ottawa, Canada

Halkan

Thankful   

What prisoners? I loved those pics they displayed of a bunch of guys sitting down in civilian clothing saying this is who we have caught (let me guess they gave them a change of clothes and then took a pic?). Prisoners They capture one or two guys in uniform who are the tribe of Lascaanod, but are against Habsaade. But then ask a bunch of people to sit down and take their pics (Usually prisoners who are not p.o.w in jail who have no idea what is going), The guys sitting down in civilian clothes are not fighters!!! Just like Riyaale arresting a bunch of guys claiming they are al qaeda!!! This has everything to do with the tribe of Lascaanod! Same people that tried to kill your president Riyaale a few years earlier and chased him out.

Ismahaan   

HI JB!

I don’t know why I’m even bothering writing this comment but let me say ask you some questions regarding this matter.

Puntland captured many Somaliland’s militia, commanders, and generals in Dhahar war, and they released all without any condition. Shouldn’t Somaliland do the same??

Also prisoners that Somaliland captured were wrongfully accused and that many if not all have never committed a violent act. Just to start with, the Puntland’s people in Sool region had not been violent towards Somaliland’s people. Thus puntlands people in SSC regions have every right to defend themselves and there territory, whether or not people like it. Somaliland’s goal is to occupy a nation, and that will results in more violent. No doubt. Do you support the current militia action against the SSC region?

In my opinion results in Somaliland and puntland conflict will be only reached by the release of prisoners and the withdrawal of Somaliland from SOOL region.

Personally I believe that these steps will help to make good relationships between the two states. However, to achieve peace, both sides must recognize that they will have to make difficult choices. What both sides must understand is that peace is much more then the absence of violence and they must start by putting themselves in each others' shoes, that's the only way to touch hearts and lead to a real change to a culture of peace.

I will pray to Allah to make peace between the Somaliland and puntland.

Good!!!

I heard this was suggested by the fella countrymen from Laaska when President Daahir Riyaale was touring the USA and UK.

Also, there was a delegation of prominent leaders from Laaska, led by Mudane Qaybe, that visited Col. Dayr in prison few weeks back. There was some sort of agreement between these leaders and Col. Dayr and hopefully we will soon see Col. Dayr joining the effort with other SOOL leaders to make the region a more peaceful and prosperous place.

Already, Laaska people are enjoying a total weapons BAN on the streets - something even the Siyad Barre regime couldn't achieve. Police-men/women armed with only sticks are donig rounds on the streets. And for the first time since 1991, a working Courts System has been stablished.

All Government buildings are refurbished and Government offices are working. Somaliland Bank has opened its first branch to encourage people to use the more stable currency (SLSH). New Telcommunication companies have opened up. There is a lot to be done but so far its on the right track.

Again, it shows that Somaliland is willing to listen to its citizens whether they are abroad or in the country. Kudos to Ina Riyaale!

People taken from their homes or kidnapped while visiting their towns like col Dayr can not be called POWs. Where in the world do you kidnapp people and call them POWs. Slanders, we accept the fact that you occupy Las Anod with fools like xaabsade and sandulle, that you kidnapp civilians and journalist, that you shoot old ladies and their children who protest in the streets. we accept that the residents las anod are now refugees in Tukaraq, garowe, xudun, taleex and buhoodle and that you have shut the only hospital in las Anod and arristed its doctors. to be honest, we accept that because we all know what happens in war and we all expected this if Sland captured LA and truth be told, releasing few people or any thing else you may do can make for the first sin of invading your neighbors. So who are you people bringing this none sense here want to trying to sell this bs about SL is doing this or that? Beenta iska yareeya people because at the end of the day ur going to only fool your selfs. People like xaabsade will leave at the first sight of better job offers as they have done before and the people released today will take up arms tomorrow.

Originally posted by somalipride:

What prisoners? I loved those pics they displayed of a bunch of guys sitting down in civilian clothing saying this is who we have caught (let me guess they gave them a change of clothes and then took a pic?).
They capture one or two guys in uniform who are the tribe of Lascaanod, but are against Habsaade. But then ask a bunch of people to sit down and take their pics (Usually prisoners who are not p.o.w in jail who have no idea what is going), The guys sitting down in civilian clothes are not fighters!!!

Blame bugland sxb ,, they should've given them a uniform and provide them some training ,,,, Inamada way soo waaleen and they just collected them and sent them straight to fight. Somaliland doesn't give uniforms to the prisoners ,, :D

HI JB!

I don’t know why I’m even bothering writing this comment but let me say ask you some questions regarding this matter.

Puntland captured many Somaliland’s militia, commanders, and generals in Dhahar war, and they released all without any condition. Shouldn’t Somaliland do the same??

Also prisoners that Somaliland captured were wrongfully accused and that many if not all have never committed a violent act. Just to start with, the Puntland’s people in Sool region had not been violent towards Somaliland’s people. Thus puntlands people in SSC regions have every right to defend themselves and there territory, whether or not people like it. Somaliland’s goal is to occupy a nation, and that will results in more violent. No doubt. Do you support the current militia action against the SSC region?

In my opinion results in Somaliland and puntland conflict will be only reached by the release of prisoners and the withdrawal of Somaliland from SOOL region.

Personally I believe that these steps will help to make good relationships between the two states. However, to achieve peace, both sides must recognize that they will have to make difficult choices. What both sides must understand is that peace is much more then the absence of violence and they must start by putting themselves in each others' shoes, that's the only way to touch hearts and lead to a real change to a culture of peace.

I will pray to Allah to make peace between the Somaliland and puntland.

Ismahaan, Walaalo i'll stick and agree with you in the last one ,,, Allah will make peace between Somalia and Somaliland Insha Allah.

Lemme try to answer some questions here:

That was a lie in the first place ,, warka laguu sheegay baan waxba ka jirin.

It seems you're a bit confused here ,,, the people in Sool are Somalilanders and no one is occupying a land that is not belong to him ,,, All the police, military personnel, government officials, etc. working in Sool region are originally from that region ,,, tell me if they are occupying their own land ,,, they've the right to believe what they want and welcome to the land of democracy ,,, :D

We don't mind having peace talks with Garowe if they stop interferring our internal issues.

Thankful   

So Puntland fights without uniforms? lol, show's how much you know. It's the only way to tell the two sides apart. Let me get this right, you have captured our prisoners and we have never captured any of yours in the past???

It seems you're a bit confused here ,,, the people in Sool are Somalilanders and no one is occupying a land that is not belong to him ,,, All the police, military personnel, government officials, etc. working in Sool region are originally from that region ,,, tell me if they are occupying their own land ,,, they've the right to believe what they want and welcome to the land of democracy

I can't believe that nonesense. For 5 YEARS, no somaliland officals were allowed into the city at all, Your president was chased out and has never returned YOUR SO CALLED ELECTIONS BOXES NEVER ARRIVED THERE. The president of Puntland made many trips there AND WAS NEVER HARMED. When the Garaad had his ceremony, something I was there to see, there were Somalis from all over Somalia and the world present...NO HIGH RANKING SOMALILAND OFFICALS WERE PREMITTED TO TALK, definitely no Riyaale. It shocks me that Habsaade who tried to kill your president switches sides and now you are acting like you did everything lol.

Stop the anger sxb ,,,,,, i didn't say buglan fights without uniforms but they kept their boys in Garowe and they sent those masaakiin without uniforms. You should blame them for not providing them uniforms.

I can't believe that nonesense. For 5 YEARS, no somaliland officals were allowed into the city at all, Your president was chased out and has never returned YOUR SO CALLED ELECTIONS BOXES NEVER ARRIVED THERE. The president of Puntland made many trips there AND WAS NEVER HARMED. When the Garaad had his ceremony, something I was there to see, there were Somalis from all over Somalia and the world present...NO HIGH RANKING SOMALILAND OFFICALS WERE PREMITTED TO TALK, definitely no Riyaale. It shocks me that Habsaade who tried to kill your president switches sides and now you are acting like you did everything lol.

Time has changed sxb ,,, this is not 5yrs ago ,, this is 2008 and the ball changed to the other side of the ground. Reer sool changed their mind and chose to join the Somalilan truck.

Thankful   

Time has changed sxb ,,, this is not 5yrs ago ,, this is 2008 and the ball changed to the other side of the ground. Reer sool changed their mind and chose to join the Somalilan truck.

I agree, the decision makers their did for the time being!

Col Dayr was sent to that region by bugland as he was appointed the vice militia commander by cade muse ,,,, otherwise he would stay in Garowe just like Afqudhac

People of Sool changed their mind ,,, ask Cali sandulle and other officials in Sool. Just take an example of Xaabsade changing his mind.