Sign in to follow this  
Xaaji Xunjuf

Americans warplanes and warships arrives at berbera city port

Thankful   

That's what I don't understand. Although there is no proof yet that this news is true, the people on hear are anxious and willing to allow them in. They are ready to gamble their hard earned peace by allowing them to take some of their land and make a base. Even though only 3 months ago they were told that they weren't going to or were not on the verge of recognizing them. Tell the whole story about the base they had in the past. We were at war with Ethiopia and they had the support of Russia and other nations. We had a huge threat. Right now, you have peace no enemies and you are willing to take your chance on that.

You'll see what happens.

US navy ships visit Somaliland port.

Written by Press TV

Apr 16, 2008 at 07:32 PM

Hargeisa(QARAN)-

Two US warships have arrived at Berbera in Somaliland after the President of the self-proclaimed republic offered to host a US naval base there.

During US Defense Secretary Robert Gates' visit to Djibouti late last year, the US military expressed interest in security coordination with Somaliland government that can offer greater potential for US military presence in the Horn of Africa nation.

Somaliland welcomed the US initiative.

Mr. Dahir Rayale Kahin, President of the former British protectorate that broke away from war-torn Somalia in 1991, said he wanted the US to put a military base at the port of Berbera as part of efforts to win international recognition, Press TV correspondent reports.

Mr. Kahin, who visited Washington and hosted the top US diplomat for Africa early this year, also expressed high hopes for finding oil in his land.

A planned auction of oil licenses will give priority to US oil companies holding concessions from the 1980s, he said.

Somaliland's President, Mr.Kahin, took office when the previous President Mohamed Ibrahim Egal died in 2002. Mr. Kahin, from the minority Gadabursi clan, was elected the following year with a margin of just 80 votes out of 490,000.

Source Press TV

LANDER   

Originally posted by STOIC:

Although some of you may object to American military base in Somaliland, the eminent advantage of having such a base in Somaliland may make sense once you stop bobbing and weaving at Somaliland government and try to make sense out of what Somaliland will gain out of this corporation with the mighty USA. Somaliland is a country that needs to be rescued out of its lassitude and despair that any country so poor faces. America today is embarking on a concerted effort to intervene and control any country they deem it necessary to their interest by providing financial and military support-they done it in Afghanistan and Central America. Their vaunted strength and military power can not be ignored in this global world.Some might argue against America tactics, message, and moral fervor around the world, which rightly so can be debated and weighted.

The sharpest gain I want to see out of this corporation is one of education and health assistance. The new engagement of the superpower would in large part determine the state of Somaliland nation.If Somaliland effort of helping the USA in gathering intelligence and the use of its airspace would land her a deal of financial gain so be it since we are in a world of coalition politics where every country is in a state of looking after its own interest.The critical vehicle against this coalition can take the back seat in the minds of Somalilanders while they reap the advantage of such a life time opportunity

I'm not so sure about that, They have been in DJ for a number of years now and the country has little to show for it in terms of changes to its infrastructure. Not to blame this on the Americans really, they lease the land and pay millions to the government of Djibouti. Where the money is going and how it's changing that country? quite a mystery.

Thierry.   

My premonition is coming true the US will have a base some where in the Lands of Somalia. It only makes sense that Africom is based in the East Coast the gate in which China and India enters. What better place than Berbera, the leadership wants it and its relatively safer than the rest of the country.

As for whether it will help with the Somaliland recognition we shall wait and see although I believe the African Union holds that Key.

However economically it will help Somaliland

I agree but African union is not the key Americans need to recognize these African leaders maraykanka way ku dabba tukaddaan when we get the green light from uncle sam yaa uu bahaan wiil iyo afrikaan aha uu madow uu aan geeriida nabbiga ogayn

me   

Homies the game got a little bit more complicated and dangerous :D

I hate B52's!

lets not make a big deal about everything people. This is the world's most unstable region and God knows we need a any kind of American presence in that region. Regardless of where they use, i would like someone to challenge all the crazy rebels, surwaal gaabs and pirates in this part of the world. If our common will is stability, a return to statehood and all that comes with having having a functioning government (Real ones, not imaginary ones for all the landers in here) then we should support any steps toward that.

LOL at the "I hate B52s" me.

I wonder how many of us here support the presence of American bases in other countries. We all call the Arabs naago for inviting the Americans to have bases in their land and am sure we all of the same view point when it comes to American involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan. So how come people entertainiong the idea of an American base in Somalia just so their the region they live in prospers at the expense of their Muslims elsewhere in the world.

What will u do when America luanches air trikes in Sudan from Somali soil or suppliers to Isreal goes through Somalia. think before one entertains the idea of American having a base in Somalia.

This will also increase the number so-called surwaal gaabs and and sure other Muslims will join the resistance to kick America out of Somalia, hence further increases in suicide bobmings that will result in Somali deaths.

Somalia is not in a fit state to make long-term strategic agreements with anyone, whether it is bases or oil expoloration cause the terms will usually not be in our terms.

whoa buddy. a lot of assumptions. no "we" do not all insult arabs or other people or woman (Congrats on insulting more then half the worlds humans and an entire ethnic group that if not genes, we share a lot other things in common) for having American bases. Some of US really support them in their fight against the Taliban and alqaida and their toppling of the Saddom regime. when you say that some us would support the US over "our muslim brothers", not all us see the world as America vs. muslims. Bosnia, Kosovo, their response to tsunamis in Indonesia, operation restore hope, and getting rid of repressive dictatorial regimes like Saddom's and the that of Taliban not mention the lunatics headed by Bin Laden are just some example of America doing good for the mujslim world. as for your question, i would't mind if Sudan was bombed today and that would do something about Durfur and as for as Israel, forget the Americans, i would like us to have working relationship with Israelis.

buddy.. the terroists r tfg and their amxaar masters!! how did u miss that!!

u really is outta of way here!! way out out in the jungle of tarzan! looool.

Originally posted by rudy-Diiriye:

buddy.. the terroists r tfg and their amxaar masters!! how did u miss that!!

u really is outta of way here!! way out out in the jungle of tarzan! looool.

I think the TFG and the Amhara only terrorize you mind!

Originally posted by Naxar Nugaaleed:

whoa buddy. a lot of assumptions. no "we" do not all insult arabs or other people or woman (Congrats on insulting more then half the worlds humans and an entire ethnic group that if not genes, we share a lot other things in common) for having American bases. Some of US really support them in their fight against the Taliban and alqaida and their toppling of the Saddom regime. when you say that some us would support the US over "our muslim brothers", not all us see the world as America vs. muslims. Bosnia, Kosovo, their response to tsunamis in Indonesia, operation restore hope, and getting rid of repressive dictatorial regimes like Saddom's and the that of Taliban not mention the lunatics headed by Bin Laden are just some example of America doing good for the mujslim world. as for your question, i would't mind if Sudan was bombed today and that would do something about Durfur and as for as Israel, forget the Americans, i would like us to have working relationship with Israelis.

^ I guess u've stated your position very clear. Also i can safely say 99% of Somalis/Muslims do not subscribe to that veiw hence what u want for Somalia is not what the majority wants