Sign in to follow this  
man_in_malaysia

Yeah What do we mean romantic person..

Originally posted by Cambarro:

Actually Val, I disgaree. Above may be true nowadays but in the era of our mums, they couldnt have known the difference. I have this opinion that in the olden days, they werent meant to enjoy it. It was for recreation purposes only. So whatever they had, they had to endure it.

Cambaro, yes, that's true for previous generations. But I'm talking about this generation and the here and now. The same attitude of 'ignorance is bliss' is still being perpetuated. Many young women do not have access to any info, so it seems that those who do should take advantage of it.

At the rate we are going, even the ability to inhale and exhale oxygen will be credited to the West soon (eg, why should we breathe just because westerners do?).

NGONGE   

Why are you agreeing with her about previous generations? The way you and her are talking one would have thought all Somali love poetry only started after you were born! Let me refer you to the lyrics of the song Hunguri just posted. The words are as filthy as can be (though he wisely only posted the nice bits, and, probably was inspired by Cambaro talking about being given a foot massage). Of course I'm no expert on Somali music but I'll bet that song was not written in your or my time.

As for the business of procreation, it's possibly even true now. However, the DESIRE is always there, it's only human you see. And when you talk about lots of sources being currently available, are you not forgetting that the best source of info for anyone is OTHER people?

I could just picture a group of Somali ladies huddled together two hundred years ago and having a gossip session about all sorts of bedroom matters. With little girls sat to the side and acting all shy and aloof yet keeping their ears pricked up and ready not to miss any single word or utterance.

Still, I do agree with you when saying one does not need a comparison. It's all about the senses really. If you have never been assaulted with the smell of excrement in your life, it's very unlikely that when you're faced with such a stench for the first time you'll be thinking 'is this a good smell or bad?'

-Lily-   

I was about to say the same thing^^^. Humans back then were not any less smarter. Word of mouth was and is still a powerful tool.

Ms DD   

Lily,

I wasnt talking about the older generation being smarter or dumber. I was talking about the romantic front. Granted..somalis love to talk, but never about what happens in the bedroom.

Ngonge

No matter how you look at it, the closest a man became to being romantic was "Naa ma isku weyso dhowranaa" and however much gabay and geeraar were recited, it didnt translate into reality. Men somehow had/have desires greater than women, hence the filth gabay/geeraar and the multiple wives.

Somehow I cant imagine a group of Somali ladies huddled together two hundred years ago and having a gossip session about all sorts of bedroom matters.

Our women were quite conservative and never used to utter anything about bedroom affairs to each other. They still dont. I was that little girl listening in when many aunties used to speak of a man that chatted them up. That was the highlight and as far as it got to. When they are married, no one spoke of the marital relations except to be geesi the first time smile.gif

Val

"At the rate we are going, even the ability to inhale and exhale oxygen will be credited to the West soon (eg, why should we breathe just because westerners do?)."

Aw come on. I dont think it will ever get that bad. But tell me where did we get "flowers, dinner etc" if it wasnt from the western culture?It certainly didnt come from a somali culture. Give credit where it is due..for better or for worse.

Cambaro,

LoL. Haye, dadku meyna casho tagi jirin to restaurants and each other's homes back in the country miyaa? From what I hear from my relatives, there were as many courting rituals back then as there are now in these countries. I'm sure they would have been seen as 'city things' to do, but I doubt if they would have been seen as 'Western things' to do.

And flowers are universal in their beauty and appeal. They cut across time and cultures. It's not just Western countries that use them for romantic gestures, many Eastern cultures do as well (thank you Old Bollywood). Plants, flowers, herbs, nature itself are often used to describe the best qualities in people (beauty, fertility, sweetness, strength, etc) in every culture. We shouldn't give everything to the Western world so easily.

NG and Lily,

Sure love and desire and romance are timeless. That wasn't my issue. And those love poetry and songs you mention, NG, they are mainly composed my men, isn't that right? How usual would it have been for women to talk graphically about such matters as intercourse in public? Not even remotely usual I would wager!

Word of mouth is indeed powerful. But that would depend on having someone who is able to pass along such useful info to you around. Mums would have certainly tried to prepare their daughters for their wedding nights, of course they would have, but I wonder just how many would have revealed the real nitty gritty of the funny business? How many would have touched on some of the possible highly embarrassing incidences and unusual requests that their daughters may encounter?

From what I gather (having been exposed to my great-grandmother's way of thinking), advice would have been along the lines of 'this will happen, and you must tolerate it. He might ask for this or do that, you must tolerate it. Whatever he wants, other than this one thing which is haraam, you'll have to let him and tolerate it because it's his Islamic right. Soon enough you'll become pregnant and get a break'.

Now, I would hardly call something like that informative or educational! This is probably what Cambaro meant about the expectation that women weren't supposed to enjoy the act.

On the other hand, even if your mum or aunts are able and willing to discuss such issues at length with you, you might not want to hear it! I know for a fact that many (including me) would die of acute embarrassment if any of their relatives tried to broach the subject with them. This is where mediums like books and the internet are better placed to inform. I know I would take books or the internet over an intimate 1:1 chat with my mum any day! redface.gif

To conclude, I'm sure there would have been ways for girls to find out this sort of info in the past, as there is always a way, but it certainly wouldn't have been as easy to access or as informative as some of the resources available to us now.

Originally posted by Cambarro:

Ngonge

No matter how you look at it, the closest a man became to being romantic was
"Naa ma isku weyso dhowranaa"
and however much gabay and geeraar were recited, it didnt translate into reality. Men somehow had/have desires greater than women, hence the filth gabay/geeraar and the multiple wives.

^^It appears that you didn’t hear the story of Gaal dilaane :D! A young southern girl was hitched and taken to a sheikh in a distant village so he can perform the religious sanction for the two to marry. After the sheikh did the legal sanction he said some prayers and quoted some prophetic sayings that meant to reinforce the act of marrying. The more love you make, the sheikh encouraged, the more ajar you get. In fact, the sheikh reportedly said, any time two of you make love and have a legal intercourse, it equates in its religious significance, as though you’d kill an infidel in Jihad. So they left and went back to their village so they can announce their status as a married couple. The young girl particularly liked her husband’s ways in making love with her. Any time she wanted to begin this newly found bedroom practice, she would just say; Ali Gaal dilaane :D ? To which he would simply respond in the affirmative.

It was reported that Ali, after many affirmative responses, one day retorted; Sayidnaa Caligeena seeftiisii barakaysnayd gaalkaas ku dhammeyn waayey ani tabar ma u haayo ee idhaaf :D ! Which translates, I can hardly slaughter and finish off all the infidels which even Sayid Ali with his blessed unsheathed sword could not!

^^that was romantic.

Hunguri   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

Let me refer you to the lyrics of the song
Hunguri
just posted. The words are as
filthy
as can be (though he wisely only posted the nice bits, and, probably was inspired by Cambaro talking about being given
a foot massage
). Of course I'm no expert on Somali music but I'll bet that song was not written in your or my time.

Very amasing indeed. Ngone, can you plz proof the filthy part of that song?. I challenge The words of this song. There is no a single filthy word in this song or any thing that would charactrize the nature of filthiness. As far as I know, the song was composed by a Somali Abwaan, and Xudeeydi played the lyrics and the Music. It describes the beauty of a Somali woman in its most deepest version. Anyhow, I will post the whole song later, and only then will you show me the filthy words in it !!