Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

WHY FOREIGN INTELLECTUALS SUPPORT SOMALILAND ?

Why Foreign Intellectuals Support Somaliland

That many foreign intellectuals and opinion makers support Somaliland’s independence is an established fact. Somalilanders see this as a validation of their quest for independence. This phenomenon however does not sit well with Somaliland’s opponents. But instead of trying to understand just what it is about Somaliland that foreigners find appealing, Somaliland’s adversaries often attack foreign supporters of Somaliland as a way of either getting back at them or scaring them off. And mind you, this crude and unethical tactic is not just employed by the ignorant, but is even used by the educated among the Somaliland-haters, such as Abdi Ismail Samatar and his brother Ahmad. It was actually these two brothers who pioneered this tactic of trying to destroy the reputation of anyone who shows even the least sympathy to Somaliland. For instance, when Anthony J. Carroll and B. Rajagopal published an article in the prestigious Journal of International Law & Politics in which they argued that Somaliland has a sound legal basis for independence, Mr. Abdi Samatar in article in the Journal of Modern African Studies, v.30 no.4 1992, accused the authors (without providing any evidence) of having received $60, 000 from the SNM for writing the report.

When the above tactics don’t work, then the Somaliland-bashers accuse the foreign person of some sort of sexual malfeasance. If the foreign supporter of Somaliland happens to be married to a Somalilander, then they would say that person is supporting Somaliland only because they are married to someone from there. Lately though, some of them have gone even farther and have been saying that Somalilanders are recruiting Western gays to champion their cause.

The Somaliland haters use these nasty tactics while at the same time mouthing pieties about democracy, integrity and human rights. It is as if it never occurred to them that a person can actually believe in, or support a cause, without some monetary, sexual or any other gain.

One of the people who was recently targeted by the Somaliland haters is the journalist Peter Tachel. But it looks like they got more than they bargained for. They thought they could frighten him and force him to quit having anything to do with Somaliland, instead their poisonous smear campaign only made him double his efforts to bring Somaliland’s case to the world’s attention, as evidenced by the superb TV program that he put together entitled “Somaliland – Africa’s Success Story”.

HERE IS THE PROGRAM

Enjoy it, and let it be a lesson to the Somaliland haters, that there are things in life neither money nor sex can buy.

Somalilandtimes.com

N.O.R.F   

A case of attack the message and not the messenger dhe!

Lately though, some of them have gone even farther and have been saying that Somalilanders are recruiting Western gays to champion their cause.

Where is that thread tolow? :D

Gediid   

I read that article printed in wardheernews where a fellow named Xandule all the way from the land down under called Somaliland supporters gay activists.I've always been told it takes one to know one,might that fellow be from the famous Southern areas where this practice is famous for or is he just coming out of the closet now????

Either way he does no favor for the cause he thinks he supports or his dark past.Ilahey ha loo baryo in for once in his life miskiinku dusha maro.......

Amiin dhaha

I got my hands over some very interesting statistics on household economy of Hargeisa. Don't wish to disclose this though, its too lucrative to share ;)

Peacenow   

Don't trust anyone in this business. Chase the money I say.

You can find a lobbyist in Washington who can sing your praises to high noon, if you have top dollar.

Remember that Vietnamese guy who annoys all of us. Pham? (J. Peter Pham, Ph.D. World Defense Review columnist)

The articles he writes. The hate he spews for Somalia. When he casually advocates the dismantling of the country. You guessed it. He gets paid by the Ethiopian government in Washington to do so through law firms they hired. It's a crooked network and all of them are for hire.

Waaheen   

I disagree completely with the content of this Editorail. It labels anybody from the North who diagrees with the secession agenda as Somaliland haters. Are the Samatar brothers not entitled to their opinion?. The destiny of their nation is being decided here and you expect them to be quite? That does not make anysenses. If any one is extreme here I think it is the writer of this article.

With regards to Peter Tatchel I think any one who read the old piece discussed here and posted by Mansa Musa about a month ago knows full well that Mr. Tachell has only one agenda. And that is promoting homosexuality. So instead of blaming those who brought his agenda to the attention of the public, let us blame those who had invited him to our affairs. It is disgusting to say the least.

Peace

Waaheen

Taleexi   

Originally posted by Northerner:

A case of attack the message and not the messenger dhe!

quote:

Lately though, some of them have gone even farther and have been saying that Somalilanders are recruiting Western gays to champion their cause.

Where is that thread tolow?
:DThe ignorance imputed to this argument is that it emphasizes only on one angle in regards to the problem at hand. Whose Somaliland are we talking about? BTW, I question,

First, in a legal sense under the UN Charter, there is very slim chance for SL getting a recognition since the then two regions of British & Italian Somalilands was accepted in 1960 at the UN as one entity.

Secondly, all these die hard secessionists believe there is only one way right, and that being theirs . They dont take into consideration to the masses who are northerners, who rationally or at least supposedly should be entitled to their point of views. These are the people, I say, that they should seek recognition from unlike uncountable futile foreign exercises.

Every saga, has two sides.. and as we know Somaliland is in its incubation period. be it how the secessionist hijacking the peoples aspirations or capitalizing the hatred and animosity rhetorics in order to further their cause of dismembering the brotherly people.

I for one support the idea of forming a reconciliation commission headed say a figure of the secessionists camp..in which your grievances can be addressed. However, by all accounts I reject that history remembers me to neither be unfair to myself nor others.