Sign in to follow this  
Fyr

HOW TO SKIN DJIBOUTI

Fyr   

HOW TO SKIN DJIBOUTI.

An English saying states, “There are many ways to skin a cat.†Likewise, there are many ways to skin Djibouti, if it does not desist from its alliance and the political, financial, and moral support or backing it provides to the avowed enemies of Somaliland particularly to the war criminal “Beast-Man†War Lords of Somalia.

Although the people of Somaliland and Djibouti are brotherly and neighbourly, the government of Djibouti had always been hostile to us and worked against our interests and causes for no fault of our making. Ever since Djibouti achieved its independence from France, which we played a great role or helped bring about; the government of Djibouti began to distance itself from its immediate brotherly people, and in a subservient manner began to collaborate with and serve the fascist regime of Siyaad Bare, schemed against the SNM and its supporters during our long and bitter struggle for freedom, and deported our refugees by the droves to Somalia, only to be slaughtered by enemy at Lowya Ado border town and elsewhere!

Moreover, after we fought back, destroyed the tyrannical Somalia’s army, expelled dictator Siyaad Bare from our land, and liberated our people and nation; Djibouti continued to align itself, this time, with the remnants of the toppled regime, many of whom are the notorious war criminals who robbed and nationalized our properties; and indiscriminately arrested, arbitrarily detained, tortured, raped, summarily executed by way of firing squads, massacred, ethnically cleansed our people so as to resettle in our lands ******* and Oromo ethnic groups from Ethiopia, bombarded our cities to rubble with anti aircraft missiles and war planes that were piloted by the racist Boer mercenaries of South Africa, and attempted the genocide of our people!

The many mass graves that litter our country are evidence of the fascism, tyrannical rule, and barbarism of this regime and their cohorts. It is believed that more than 100,000 Somalilanders perished at the hands of these “Beast-Man†War Lords, many of whom were the military commanders of this evil regime. And since the restoration of our independence on 18 May 1991 to the present, nearly 7,000 Somalilanders have been killed, more than 10,000 others were maimed, and unknown number of livestock and property have been destroyed by the hidden land mines these evil savages planted in our land.

However, regardless of these incomprehensible war crimes against our people and nation, our brotherly and neighbourly Djibouti still doesn’t get it as it continues to this day to perpetuate the same injustices and horrendous crimes with impunity by supporting the very war criminals and the “Beast-Man†War Lords of Somalia who were responsible for the crimes against humanity against people of Somaliland. There is no doubt that Djibouti is our number one enemy as it openly champions to constitute the crumbled central government of Somalia and puts much effort to revive the long dead dream of Greater Somalia or Somaliweyn in order to damage our freedom, peace and security, aspirations, cause, political stability, political determination, and the existence of Somaliland.

Worse still, this tiny and poor country has gone a step further by, this time, requesting the Arab League member countries particularly Saudi Arabia not to lift the illegal livestock ban on Somaliland, has set its own livestock trading company, and is working tirelessly to siphon the entire livestock trade of Somaliland and the region through its port in a bid to further destabilize the Berbera port. Can you believe that this poor and mediocre county wants to take over the entire livestock trade of Somaliland, the backbone of our economy?

Now, let’s take a pause for a moment and ask ourselves these questions: What have we done to them to deserve this treatment and injustices? Why the enmity? Why is Djibouti committing crime and scheming against our people and nation? Why do we tolerate them? How can we get back to them and put an end to their crimes?

The answerer to the above stated questions combined is: We have done nothing to them to deserve the treatment and injustices Djibouti is committing against our people and nation, and that the enmity is caused by their sheer envy, greed, and the reason for their crimes is based on the perception that the Berbera port is a threat to the Djibouti port; their only source of economy, and we tolerate them partly because of our sheer perseverance, ineptitude, and lack of understanding of our interests; and we can get back to them and put an end to their crimes by beginning to skin them in various painful ways without firing a single bullet or causing war!

Although this poor, tiny, and cancerous country has committed great injustice and crimes with impunity against our people and nation, and thinks that it is unassailable because of habouring in its territory French and American troops; there are many ways to skin Djibouti in order to get even with it or to punish it severely. Some of these ways are as follows:

1. Forge a close and warm political, economic, and social relations with Ethiopia, the big brother in the region.

2. Enter Free Trade Agreements with Ethiopia.

3. Give Ethiopia the contract to manage the Berbera port in order to entice it to use our main port just like the way Djibouti has contracted out its port to an Abu Dhabi company or Arabs. Note: in the past Ethiopia somewhat managed the shipping and receiving of its goods at the Djibouti port.

4. Declare Berbera port as free port.

5. Give Ethiopia a corridor to access the sea through the dormant Zeila port in exchange of the return of the Reserve Area to Somaliland. Or contract out the use of Zeila port in exchange of free electric power from Ethiopia.

6. Enlarge Berbera port, and construct other ports at Zeila, Karin, Maydh, and Laas Qorey to diminish the status of Djibouti port in the region.

7. Lift restrictions on border trade at Lowya Ado and other border points so as to flood cheap Somaliland goods in Djibouti to the benefit of the oppressed people of this poor country.

8. Forge good relations with the oppressed Afar people and other opposition groups in Djibouti. Banish their businesses and key businessmen from illegally benefiting from Somaliland, etc.

9. Break political, economic, and social relations with the current Djibouti government, etc.

Overall, failure to curb the arrogance, enmity, injustices, and crimes of Djibouti; and failure to stand firm and protect our national interests will cost us dearly. Therefore, it is time we fully recognize Djibouti as the number one enemy of our people and Somaliland, and to punish it sooner rather than later.

So let us begin to skin Djibouti in the many ways I have stated on the above.

Victory and Liberty to Somaliland,

Farah Ali Jama,

Ottawa, Canada.

Do you think you will skin Dj with these Tragic ides?

Last time I knew Dj hade ther own port. Instead of stamping Dj as your Enemis, you should watch out 4 your, so called beloved big brother Ethiopia . I think i speak 4 us all when i say>>>>>>>>>Ethiopia is the enemie of SomaliSomalilan

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/escales/djibouti/alentour/images/P1010021.jpg

Gediid   

Why is it Ayaan daaro Baashi.Two ports competing for business from a larger landlocked neighbour.As far as I know the competition is not confined to Berbera and Djibouti,it stretches all the way from Mombasa to Djibouti and all the ports in between.Its Ayaan daaro when one turns a blind eye to his kind snooze with Ethiopia and screams traitor when another cuts a deal with them.

Baashi   

Originally posted by Gediid:

Why is it Ayaan daaro Baashi.

Its Ayaan daaro when one turns a blind eye to his kind snooze with Ethiopia and screams traitor when another cuts a deal with them.

My kind cuts a deal with Etiopia! :confused:

Even if that is the case I would've said the same thing about it. It is ayaan daro when sinister policies are breached with the sole purpose of breaking the backbone of your brother and bankrupting their port trade.

In business, competition is a fair game - that I understand what I don't understand is calling the evil Ethiopia, whose regime kills and maims innocent Muslim Somalis everyday literaly, big brother.

Gediid that's beyond me Wallahi...hence ayaan daro comment is how I voiced this sentiment of mine.

Qac Qaac   

subxanallah some here needs help. ethiopia is our big brother... not our enemies. and DJabuti is our enemy.

ilaaho indhaha hana tirin. with hatred, iyo qabiil nimo awgeed.

AYOUB   

Typical of SOL resposes, full of semantics but ignoring 'the messege' in the origianal post. Mr Jama says:

"Although the people of Somaliland and Djibouti are brotherly and neighbourly, the government of Djibouti had always been hostile to us and worked against our interests and causes for no fault of our making."

If there is anyone who disagrees with his 'solutions' lets hear the alternatives.

Warmoog   

The ideas above seem to be motivated as much by the spirit of competitive business as by the intent of making Djibouti’s government ‘pay’ for various grudges held by the hatcher of such plans. I think Farah Ali Jamac has forgotten one thing here. A fire lit beneath the threshold of Djibouti’s current government will be felt most intensely by its (poor) masses. There is no easy way of making a government “pay†for something politically and economically, while simultaneously assuring that it’s masses remain unaffected. As I see it, the only cats with any likelihood of getting skinned as a result of these plans are not the ones who work for the government and whose villas overlook the ocean. They’re the ones living on the outskirts of town, whose ramshackle homes are carried away by floods every now and then.

There’s also an air of hypocrisy in this article, which seems to imply that Somaliland can do no wrong. When Somaliland deports people of the 5th territory and literally hands them to Ethiopia as “terroristsâ€, it’s done in the name of fighting terror and ensuring national security. Yet when Djibouti looks out for its own interests (as it has presumably been doing all along), it’s all a product of their “arrogance†and “enmityâ€. Gimme a break.

By the way, that Somali man who was being held hostage in Iraq… In his interview with the BBC, he said the kidnappers took him to an Islamic court following his capture and there a religious cleric issued a death sentence against him (it took place before the tapes were aired). So why did they not carry out the decree? What saved him? Well, presumably, it was the concession of his Kuwaiti employer to leave Iraq and the ‘other’ appeals. Besides the Kuwaiti company, 4 other parties/administrations appealed for his release…

- Somalia

- Somaliland

- Eritrea, and

- DJIBOUTI (not Ethiopia)

What does that tell you about “big brother�

AYOUB   

Yasmine:

There’s also an air of hypocrisy in this article, which seems to imply that Somaliland can do no wrong. When Somaliland deports people of the 5th territory and literally hands them to Ethiopia as “terroristsâ€, it’s done in the name of fighting terror and ensuring national security.

Where in the article does it say Mr.. Jama supports deportations of Somalis in the national interest? He may believe that but I can't see how you were able to detect the "hypocrisy in this article". I've read other articles where Mr. Jama has been very critical of SL and maybe "the hypocrisy" is all in your head.

I think the political elite of Djibouti are the biggest hypocrite for preaching Somaliweyn theories to Somalilanders who have seen its positive and negative sides in practice.

Yasmine:

A fire lit beneath the threshold of Djibouti’s current government will be felt most intensely by its (poor) masses. There is no easy way of making a government “pay†for something politically and economically, while simultaneously assuring that it’s masses remain unaffected.

I agree with you on that, and that's why I asked for a better solution if there is one. Turning the other chick is not an option. What you have to bear in mind is there is ten times more Somalis in "Region 5" than in Djibouti and over 30 million Muslims in Ethiopia. If we don't like hypocrisy, the solutions we come-up with must be better than Waryaa Dude's blockade.

By the way, that Somali man who was being held hostage in Iraq… In his interview with the BBC, he said the kidnappers took him to an Islamic court following his capture and there a religious cleric issued a death sentence against him (it took place before the tapes were aired). So why did they not carry out the decree? What saved him? Well, presumably, it was the concession of his Kuwaiti employer to leave Iraq and the ‘other’ appeals. Besides the Kuwaiti company, 4 other parties/administrations appealed for his release…

- Somalia

- Somaliland

- Eritrea, and

- DJIBOUTI (not Ethiopia)

He may have been released because of the 'appeals' but that does not mean we should believe the warlords really cared about that man's life. I think many politicians (including SL's) used the man's crisis as a publicity stunt and we should take everything they say with a pich of salt. Some of people who were saying the bombing and destruction of Hargeisa was OK at the beginning of the month were pleading for the the hostage's life at the end of it. With brothers like these...

Leaving aside the big brother statement and hostility of the two nations, these points are worth discussing, some them have got their own merit.

Originally posted by Fyr-Kanten:

[QB] HOW TO SKIN DJIBOUTI.

1. Forge a close and warm political, economic, and social relations with Ethiopia, the big brother in the region.

2. Enter Free Trade Agreements with Ethiopia.

As long as the question of the sovereignty and recognition has not being solved Ethiopia will not commit itself for long-term relationship.

3. Give Ethiopia the contract to manage the Berbera port in order to entice it to use our main port just like the way Djibouti has contracted out its port to an Abu Dhabi company or Arabs. Note: in the past Ethiopia somewhat managed the shipping and receiving of its goods at the Djibouti port.

The game Ethiopia is playing is to use several completing ports so to get the cheapest one without investing lot of money. What happened to the Eritrea port of Asab frights Ethiopia.

4. Declare Berbera port as free port. This will be good idea but political lot in Hargeysa wouldn't let this happen as they see the policy of taxing as their main policy of income.

5. Give Ethiopia a corridor to access the sea through the dormant Zeila port in exchange of the return of the Reserve Area to Somaliland. Or contract out the use of Zeila port in exchange of free electric power from Ethiopia. Good idea but will the people of the region have a say about their destiny I mean both Zeila and Reserve Area region.

6. Enlarge Berbera port, and construct other ports at Zeila, Karin, Maydh, and Laas Qorey to diminish the status of Djibouti port in the region. Are you forgetting these projects cost lot of many and know how. The only way possible to achieve them is to have close tie with wealthy Arab countries in the Golf. Or to get funding from western countries and institutions that more then simple persuasion. Both of them don't seem forthcoming but who knows after the conference in Kenya lot of thing may change including the status of the SL.

7. Lift restrictions on border trade at Lowya Ado and other border points so as to flood cheap Somaliland goods in Djibouti to the benefit of the oppressed people of this poor country.

Why restrictions on the first place? If lifted DJ will stop all business activities from her country to SL, which will have detrimental to many communities in Awal region.

8. Forge good relations with the oppressed Afar people and other opposition groups in Djibouti. Banish their businesses and key businessmen from illegally benefiting from Somaliland, etc.

Tit for Tat policy, DJ has several distraction buttons to bush one of them is using AY to demand more territories form SL and some old friends from Mogadishu.

9. Break political, economic, and social relations with the current Djibouti government, etc.

SL did this before with no effect to DJ and Humiliating effect made U-turn.

So let us begin to skin Djibouti in the many ways I have stated on the above.

Do you think DJ will standstill while all these policies applied to her? What you need is or its time for you now to look critically what the effects will be for SL and check why some of your suggestions, which was applied by the SL Gov already, didn't work. Ask yourself why this time it will be different. Whatever reply you give I must commend you for your suggestions that is in short supply in this forum.

BN   

Salaam,

This was a rather amusing article to say the least. It seems tiny Djibouti has become a thorn in the sides of these would-be intellectuals. His latest article (this seems to be his sole occupation as of late), weaves a tale of controlled paranoia and conspiracy theories for his enraptured audience. Enjoy.

The ONLF Terrorists Fighting a Proxy War for Djibouti and Puntland

http://www.somaliland.org/opinions.asp?ID=04081705

Xudeedi   

In my opinion, This is an indication of Somalialand being in a fragile position to either enhance its competition or find solution to it, and therefore, it's hard to mend once its previously strained relationship turns into deadly civil war.

Ethiopia is a landlocked country and its only route to conduct trade with Somalialand is through Zone five, for all purposes, they have to avoid provoking enmity let alone labeling Somalis as terrorist in an attempt to win membership for the "coalition of the willing" .

Warmoog   

Waryaa Dude – Thanks, but there are other nomads who're much more deserving of such a compliment.

Ayoub Sheikh,

Sorry for the tardy reply. I’ve been avoiding the politics arena lately, but that's another story in itself. Moving on...

If you recall, I said “there’s also an air of hypocrisy in this article, which seems to imply that Somaliland can do not wrongâ€. The vast difference between insinuations and unambiguous propositions being apparent, it may be needless of me to point to the phrasing of that statement as having been enough to indicate it being largely interpretational on my part. You’re absolutely right though, the author of the article did not explicitly say whether or not he supports the deportation of Somalis from the 5th territory. He did, however, list a series of perceived injustices committed against Somaliland, one of which he said was when Djibouti “deported our refugees by the droves to Somalia, only to be slaughtered…â€.

It goes without saying that governments typically make decisions with none but their own interests as a primary motive (at least one would assume), but Mr. Farah appeared to be asserting that Djibouti’s perpetual “hostilities†against Somaliland – or what it has managed to do purely or primarily for the sake of furthering its own interests in the Horn, regardless of how such measures may affect its regional neighbours – is somehow more sinister than the analogous actions carried out by others in the region (Somaliland‘s deportation of people from the 5th territory having been one such example). The author attempted to demonize one governing body for the political measures they’ve taken, while appearing unmindfully supportive of another that does the very same things… as if the group with which he has sided can claim an unmatched air of virtue. It’s the epitome of a hypocrisy many people practice when blindly defending or promoting the politics of ‘their own’ (nation, region, tribe, whatever) that I find completely distasteful. Considering how dreadfully noticeable it is as a motivating force behind the views expressed in the article, I don’t know how anyone can ignore it with honesty and good conscience.

In my opinion, the views expressed in the article present (and are indicative of one with) a limited outlook… a narrow, yet discernable outlook which almost begs any reasonable reader to unconsciously conclude it’s linked to ‘solutions’ that are just as limited, if not more so. I’ve never considered the prospect of skinning Djibouti so, as far as alternate solutions go, I have none to offer. If anything, I’d only suggest that people abandon (or at least avoid) the sort of one-sided thinking that permeates this article and learn to develop more balanced perspectives as an initiative to better understanding ourselves, our neighbours, and the world in general.

Salaama.

Qudhac   

I think its time people have realised that jbouti has played a distructive part in both somaliland and somalia if we forget this article for a moment most people will tell you that djouti has been destabialising the somali peace process since their ARTA sponsered TNG failled since then they have worked tiredlessly to play certain factions agains others so clearly they are not the somali loving angel they were potraying.

to come back to the issue of somaliland, jbouti wants to have its cake and eat it, when the borders where reopened with somaliland its jbouti that has has profited from the bussiness increas from tax revenues increases.. yet they constsly and openly ingage in hostile policies towards somaliland, and if a country is clearly cosntantly working against your intrest then clearly we have to look out for our own intrest with whatever means.

Jbouti knows in the long run it cannot compete with somaliland or any other state in the region so it is understanderly attempting to take advantage of this uncertain times while somaliland has no international recognition and somalia is in chaos.

jbouti is ambitious especially attemting to move the animal export market to their dessert port which has no history of animal exporting and encouraging the arabs to keep the bann on "somali" animals exports.

but clearly jbouti is very limited in terms of potential, as it has almost no natural resources and with a population of less than hargiesa city you can see their limitation, this is why i believe jboutis current hostile policies is oppotunity to grap something before the fog clears.