Sign in to follow this  
Suldaanka

Editorial: Another October and another dictator

October, it seems is a curse on the Somali people. It was October 21, 1969 when General Mohammed Siyad Barre came to power in a military coup. Exploiting the political situation ushered in by the assassination of the elected civilian President at the time, Abdul Rashid Ali Sharmarke, and the grave economic circumstances that prevailed, Siyad Barre projected himself as the savior. People relieved a sigh, women ululated, the elders praised and the Ulema prayed for Barre and the military junta for success and smooth ride.

For 21 years, Somali people sang and chanted the Name of October like prayer psalms. They sang the praises of October, the month of plenty and prosperity, even though millions of them slept on empty bellies every night.

After 21 long years of brutal dictatorship, of material and moral destruction of the whole country, particularly the main towns of today’s Somaliland, and the creation of the largest number of refugees in Africa at the time, Siyad Barre fled the country in 1991 before advancing clan militias.

Somaliland, the former British Protectorate, which bore the brunt of Barre’s ruthless genocides and scorched earth policy, had wisely walked out of the failed union, restored its sovereignty and chartered itself a new course of nation building. Somaliland today enjoys a thriving democracy, an elected president and municipal councils and a tryst with time to elect its first parliament in March 2005.

In all these years, however, Somaliland has repeatedly appealed to the international community to recognize its sovereignty and reward it for its achievements vis-à-vis the chaos in the south.

The international community, however, decided to build false hopes on Somalia despite the prolonged state of lawless and bloodshed.

Being privy to the political and tribal mechanisms of the people in the South more than anyone else, Somaliland just waited with great patience for the fig leaf to fall. They knew the day would come when the world would see the ugly reality of the warlords.

Today, after 12 lean years and after two years of peace talks on which the people of Somalia attached great hopes and aspirations, the international community had woken up to the consequences of its utter failure to heeding the advise of Somaliland – that they should not have put the destiny of the war-weary and exhausted Somali people in the hands of a gang of warlords.

With the election of Abdillahi Yusuf today, a brutal dictator and a ruthless political opportunist, Somalia has once again slipped into a new era of darkness and hopelessness – the beginning of a saga of another October and another dictator with an international blessing

BN   

How is that someone who has just been elected democratically, and has not yet taken up the position of President be labelled a dictator? What has he dictated in the last 3 days exactly? And can you really compare this to the overthrow of a civilian government in 1969? More likely it was just a 'catchy' title...

He knows full well he must work cooperatively with all factions/groups and has shown every sign of doing so. Somalis are willing to give this president and new government a chance and a fresh start to succeed. As ayoub said, this is still the honey moon...let's enjoy it. :D

And If you are looking for examples of dictatorial leanings, look a bit closer to home... ;)

"Be proud you are Somali tonite" :D

-Jamamatu

i do believe the magic word is democratically!

that word dont apply here! period!!!. since that means locals have voted in democratic way!

u might call this a hilton hotel democratic vote casting in another country!! dos that ring a bell homie! aye!!

u might as well say Paris hilton voted 4 this dude!! since her vote was courtesey vote! namean mean! as a customer!! lol..

OG_Girl   

There is proverb saying " Kill unbeliever but give him justice"!!

He did not start yet. Why some of us praying for his failier??

People grow up and forget he is from Clan X or Clan Y ..Now he is President of Somalia , he won fair game , he wasn't my favored but he won ...nothing we can do, support him and have little sensitivity . We want build a nation...why still these deep hate?

I just wondering if one of Mogadisho warlords won some people really would celebrate just cause there is personal hate toward Abbdullahi Yusuf and Puntland!!

Pray he will make better than what we had .

Salam

...not yet taken up the position of President be labelled a dictator?

A central point to his campaign was keeping upto his long standing character. And as they say a character is a long standing habit.

What has he dictated in the last 3 days exactly?

Give him a year, if he lasts that is. Certainly, you can not teach an old dog new tricks. :D

... been elected democratically

speaking of democracy, I wonder who elected these crooks in the first place? Let me just break it down: In what other democracy can you find known murderers, warcriminals, crooks, rapists, drug lords, warlords and kidnapers electing one another?

You can not deny that there are people who qualify for such horrific titles among that so called parliament. Maybe it doesn't touch you, because you are not a victim of any of these men. But put yourself in a victim's shoes and try to think.

Should they be put behind bars or cheered and supported? This is a morale ethics issues.

nuune   

if you don't support this newly elected president of somalia, why don't u guys just keep quite and keep your hatred in your hearts rather than throwing it out,I am happy he is the president of Somalia, if you are not happy, then say I am not happy and keep those BIG words behind and inside your hearts.

N.O.R.F   

Driving home sunday night i turned on Radio 5 Live and couldnt believe my ears when a kenyan reporter said this guy was to be Somalia president. :rolleyes:

Another warlord come politician! :rolleyes:

Saalixa   

i do believe the magic word is democratically!

that word dont apply here! period!!!. since that means locals have voted in democratic way!

u might call this a hilton hotel democratic vote casting in another country!! dos that ring a bell homie! aye!!

u might as well say Paris hilton voted 4 this dude!! since her vote was courtesey vote! namean mean! as a customer!! lol..

Rudy you da best man. Just what i was going to say you read my mind.

Lol at Paris Hilton,,,no what about Monica Lewinski.

Suldaanka i ain't gonaa make this public on sol coz iam scared of getting in sshit but you and I know how the So called presidaent was elected. Lets see how the intellectuals of xamar accept him as a president.

How is that someone who has just been elected democratically, and has not yet taken up the position of President be labelled a dictator? What has he dictated in the last 3 days exactly? And can you really compare this to the overthrow of a civilian government in 1969? More likely it was just a 'catchy' title...

Abdullahi Yusuf was born in 1934,,,Ever since then he was practically in every dispute from xamar to punt. It's up to you if you conceal that. :D

BN   

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones .

You can not deny that there are people who qualify for such horrific titles among that so called parliament.

Can you deny that of your 'parliament'? Start with the 'president' and work your way down.... :D

BTW, tell us how exactly the SL parliamentarians received their positions? ;) How many people voted them in exactly? :D

NASSIR   

The surprise thing about our president is that he hasn't uttered one single word about the people of the North West and yet we are experiencing continuous roar of cries and complaints.

Saalixa   

The surprise thing about our president is that he hasn't uttered one single word about the people of the North West and yet we are experiencing continuous roar of cries and complaints.

ahem i think you are wrong,,,go listen to his speeches once more before commenting

ahem i think you are wrong,,,go listen to his speeches once more before commenting

In defence of Nassir, the President only said posative things regarding the North West.

While the North West/Somaliland have been saber rattling and calling out names. People take a few breaths no one is attacking you, this is the time of peace and reconstruction. So lets pray for peace and reconcilaition in this holly month of Ramadan. Amin