Sign in to follow this  
Castro

How Wolfowitz lost the World Bank war

me   

^ Then she should have got herself a toyboy, what is she doing with an cajuus like that other then half.

Ibtisam   

^^She wanted someone that made her look good in comparison, so she had to go right down to the bottom of the chain.

me   

Yea right, she was attracted to the power and money, nothing else.....there are allot of females that think like that you know...if you dont believe me ask Kanye.

or better yet ask Donald

Taleexi   

The woman's credentials are superb, an oxford graduate..who speaks about five major languages .. her package is somewhat appealing..

STOIC   

As leaders are guided by an abiding faith in doing right the world bank board did the right think when they loosed faith with Wolfowitz.He probably thought he could get away with irresponsible behaviours.Every one knows that a fundamental safeguard for ethical decision is to make sure that your actions do not negatively impact your integrity.As a leader you will always be responsible of where you’ve been, where you are, and where you are going with your decisions.

A friend of mine works with the world Bank in DC area he told me how things were not looking good for the guy the moment the scandal became public.Dificult as it is, owning up your mistake is one of the most important aspect of being a leader.Wolfowitz was in denial since the beginning of this scandal.How will people trust you when you can’t even strive to solve your lapse of judgement without creating more conflict? As someone who prefers a candid leader I think the board did the right thing when they pound his head over the wall for more answers.Leaders should always be responsible for their actions.

AKA Stoic

Castro   

US to replace Wolfowitz 'swiftly'

Mr Wolfowitz's time at the World Bank has received mixed reviews

The US has said it will move "swiftly" to find a replacement for Paul Wolfowitz, who says he plans to quit as head of the World Bank on 30 June.

Mr Wolfowitz will step down after he was caught up in a bitter row surrounding the promotion and salary of his girlfriend, Shaha Riza.

The World Bank said that Mr Wolfowitz had acted in good faith, but admitted that a "number of mistakes" were made.

UK Prime Minister Tony Blair has been mentioned as a possible replacement.

'Best individual'

Mr Wolfowitz, a former US deputy defence secretary, was nominated for the World Bank job by President George W Bush.

"Traditionally, the American nominee has become the World Bank president," White House spokesman Tony Fratto said on Friday.

He added that the US wanted "to move swiftly in this process" and find a replacement for Mr Wolfowitz.

It would be good for the institution if they had somebody who was an economist who really understood what development entailed

Joseph Stiglitz

"We want to make sure that we are selecting the best individual for the job," Mr Fratto explained. "We want someone who has a real passion for lifting people out of poverty."

The World Bank, which has more than 180 member countries worldwide, helps fund development projects in developing nations and has taken a strong and vocal stance against corruption.

Mr Wolfowitz has been under severe pressure for weeks, and a number of European politicians called on him to step down.

Critics have argued that he was damaging the reputation of the bank at a time when it was trying to secure billions of dollars in international donations to help fund its projects over the next few years.

Work closely

Although it is early days in the hunt for a replacement, UK Prime Minister Tony Blair has been mentioned by observers as one possibility.

Speaking on the BBC's Radio Five Live, Joseph Stiglitz, a Nobel prize winner and former World Bank vice president, said that Mr Blair was "one of the people that is clearly being discussed".

However, Mr Stiglitz said that it might suit the World Bank better if, rather than a politician with global connections, they had "someone with real experience in development".

I've gotten a lot of very gracious comments, notes, emails from staff, and I'm grateful for that

Paul Wolfowitz

"It would be good for the institution at this juncture if they had somebody who was an economist who really understood what development entailed and could work closely with the staff," he explained.

Speaking on Friday, Mr Wolfowitz said that he was grateful for the work of his staff at the World Bank.

"I've gotten a lot of very gracious comments, notes, emails from staff, and I'm grateful for that," he said.

"And I'm particularly grateful for the hard work they've put in the last two years."

'Conflict'

Mr Wolfowitz came under fire after details emerged about his role in securing a pay rise for Ms Riza, who used to work at the bank.

When appointed to his post in 2005, Mr Wolfowitz notified the bank of a potential conflict of interest because of his relationship with Ms Riza, and asked to step aside from any decisions regarding her future.

Mr Wolfowitz then proposed that Ms Riza was moved to the US state department, where her pay and position would rise in line with her prospects at the World Bank.

Ms Riza was transferred, and her salary rose to about $193,000 (£98,000).

A panel of the World Bank later found that Mr Wolfowitz had provoked a "conflict of interest" and broken its code of conduct.

Me, xantaan maxaa waaye? Ceeb waaye waxaas, duqa. Qofta Eebbe ayaa abuuray, ee iyada iskama dhigin. Teeda kalena meel ay ka qaabdarantahay ma u jeedi, perhaps romantically associating with that dude, yea, I can understand.

[she looks like Carab, yet has a Persian name. Are you people sure she is Carab horta?]

About the topic, I would have liked and pleased if the whole World Bank -- and its sister organization, IMF -- dissolved and disbanded itself as a governmental organization.

Haba yaratee wax ee adduunka kusoo kordhiyeen ayaa iska yar ka ahayn making poor nations more poorer, lending them stupendous funds with Eebbe knows how much usury and other "free-market" policies attached, that cannot be afforded back , unless the country disintegrates economically.

It is a chain, a modern way of slavery to always have poorer nations in their place. It claims to have most of the independent nations as members, and yet its president is always an American. Same with IMF, whose top leadership is always European.

They talk and preach others about democracy and reform, yet most international institutions had not been reformed since their creation in 1940s. Another so-called "international" organization is United Nations whose real power is controlled by a few nations that does not absolutely reflect the current world. If it was as democratic as it claims, then Jabaan, Jarmalka, Hindiya, Koonfur Afrika, Barasiil, Nayjeeriya, Koonfurta Kuuriya, Bakistaan, Indoneesiya, Arjentiin should all have a permanent seat at the table in Golaha Ammaanka [security Council].

[i will not add Kanada, Talyaaniga and Australia since they have their interests already represented there.]

Bokero   

..Wolf should not have been fired... I think he was doing a ok job, better that any bleeding heart white liberal...

I think we need to look Wolf's tenure at the bank rather than judging him on his role in the Iraq fiasco- and on that note he did fine, under his leadership the bank cancelled debt to Nigeria, and many other poor countries...

Promoting ur friends or lovers, or kin is a norm allover the world… he is not the first one to do it and wont be the last…this saga was just an excuse for largely ineffective world bank liberal staff, to push Wolf out… it was error of judgment on his side but not a firing offence far from it!

Please do not merely join the bandwagon, make ur own analysis.. Plus its better to have a rightwing guy at the top rather than a wishy washy liberia, with crap like i understand and sympathy with ur pain!

p.s with all his faults and debacles Bush has pumped more Aid TO Africa that any other American President