Sign in to follow this  
Jacpher

Zimbabwe: Somaliland Embraces Evicted Zim Farmers

Jacpher   

Zimbabwe Independent (Harare)

January 12, 2007

Posted to the web January 12, 2007

Augustine Mukaro

THE scramble for dispossessed Zimbabwean farmers intensifies in Africa with Somaliland becoming the latest country to offer land to evicted farmers looking for a new start.

More than 20 African countries are scrambling to snap up Zimbabwe's commercial farmers displaced from their properties by the chaotic and often violent land seizures in their bid to develop commercial agriculture.

Somaliland, a former British colony, broke away from Somalia over 10 years ago.

Foreign minister Abdulali Duale told Farmers' Weekly in South Africa that he was keen to discuss agri-investment with experienced farmers from anywhere in the world, "but I must say we would favour our fellow Africans, of any colour, because they have an emotional stake in the continent".

"There are many projects waiting to be developed, to restock our wildlife, open up commercial farming and rebuild the forest," Duale said. "I know we are not one of the glamour destinations, but we do have a sound democracy and total commitment to a new age of commercial farming. I hope some farmers and conservationists will come and have a look at our little country.

"We are a sovereign state with a great future. Our government and people would be honoured to see new immigrants from southern Africa coming to build our farm sector," he said.

Commercial Farmers Union (CFU) spokesperson Emily Crooks said although there wasn't an official approach from the Somaliland government, a number of overtures had been undertaken and farmers would readily accept any offers enabling them to restart their businesses.

"As farmers we are very excited about the recognition of their skills by other Africans states," Crooks said. "We would take any opportunities that would allow our members to go back into faming."

Officials at CFU said the success of the farmers' venture in Nigeria had generated intense interest from African governments keen to develop commercial agriculture.

"The Nigerian project has opened many doors, and will continue to open more doors in other surrounding countries with private companies and government departments approaching us, wanting to put together similar projects," an official with the CFU division of Farmers In Touch said. "Countries that have contacted us include Ghana, Cameroon, Sudan, Guinea Bissau, Benin, Central African Republic and Namibia."

The official said a team was working on getting a project similar to the one in Nigeria together in Senegal.

"Three trips have been made to Senegal and proposals are being put together. All parties involved are positive about this venture," he said. Fifteen farmers and their families have already relocated to Kwara State in Nigeria.

Good initiative. Put down the machine guns, bring your Yaambo.

RedSea   

^GOOD AH,waar taayadii baan meel u'la'nay ninyow,markaasaad leeday good intiative.Balo sangudhuudhi ahi marabno in ay beeraha noo falaan,maxaa yeelay barina magalada ayey soo galayaan,and you know how much somali ladies love those ugaali eating creatures.Waar ninyow suuqa jiq hanagaga dhigin sxb.

Jacpher   

Hadaa ma adigaa san yar?

Ugaali eating gotta game. Don't hate the player, hate the game as they say it.

Is daji sxb. Ragu waa kuwii Mugabi buriyeye ma aha kuwaad u maleysay. SL wild life iyo dhul beero kumaam ogeynee sidee wax u jiraan.

This must be a secret plot carried out by somaliland women specially Adna!!lool...

so u want an ugaali eater? hell no..! whats wrong with your somali soor eating brotha?? lord have merci.

cajaaib> :eek:

^^^Pardon me I haven't read all the article

What's wrong with responses here, the Last time I checked the Evicted Zimbabwean farmers were white poeple?

Is Somaliland tying to score a goal and recruit this kicked out white farmers to attain their recognition... could work you know, the only smart move I seen thus far coming from them...

RedSea   

Jim,

O yes Somaliland does have potentially good farmlands.There are good farming lands around Gabiley district,Awdal, Cadaadley, some areas in Saaxil, further East in Sanaag.If you haven't been there,well then you are okay to ask that sort of question,but hey dont' doubt it,.

Hadaa madaa san yar? haa awoow anaa san yar,taa miyaa la'isku haystaaba.Whether I like the game or not, I don't want our ladies to participate in it. :cool:

If the evicted farmers are white, no worries,because we could slave Whities for once.It would feel good.

Lt.Xabashi,I expected that statement from someone else,but you,it's bit wicked for you to be the one to utter that.

LANDER   

Good news, if only Somaliland had the foresight to have been first movers in this before the Nigerian experiment though it would have been much better. Most commercial farmers will probably be attracted to lush destination in west africa but we'll see if Somaliland can attract some too. On top of that the government hasn't even formally made any invitations to these farmers, another sign of incompetence.

Lander, I thought you were one of the heayweights, now honestly are you falling for this? Or you misleading the cayaalka xaafada

If, at all, any massive arrival of foreigners is forthcoming to anywhere in the republic, then don't you think that the only possible element to deal with would be the Somali Government... did you forget that Somaliland is not a recognized nation, ooh and since this is about Farmlands, do you know that the most fertile regions of the republic happens to be in the South so why talk to SL or Pland...

People can dream and dreams are there to be materialised, but inviting and begging for the arrival of a white refugees kicked out by Robert Mugabe is another level of a dream... naive one...

If this sort of "Smart moves" have become the strategy of Somaliland, then we should forever as ever, but thus far the only could be called smart move since independece... LOL What an accompolishement..

Good try thou

Mr. Tukaale, i see you like to assume alot about somaliland and its natural resources, Yes the south has good fertile region is in the south, but there are large areas in the north with good fertile land. You i think have a perception of the north as being nothing more but a sand. lol, If they come it be smart move in that they are expert in growing food in hard conditions with the growth and bussiness created somalianders can be empolyed, local farmers can have deals with them and the agircultural level in somaliland would boom. Somaliland is thinking out the box and this is what keep it vibriant nation for all.