Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Zar

NGONGE   

^^ It has elements of voyeurism in it but you are right, it's much more than that. The history of Zaar is fascinating. It is very similar to the goings on in evangelical churches in America. The difference, of course, is that the reverends in those churches tell the epileptic worshipers to let God into their souls thus causing all the shaking and fainting. With Zaar, the patient is appeasing his Jinn by doing similar shaking and fainting.

The music and beat used in Zaar circles is extremely hypnotic. I can just hear it as I type these words.

(Beats going to the gym I tell ya! Cara should try it). :D

Ms DD   

Why do I get the image of Ngonge as the drum beater of zaar parties?

I only went once and aunt (by marriage) and her family believe in it so much that when they get headache, it is time to feed the jinns. Markey soo dagaan jinka, the possessed doesnt even know their kids as that aunt once demonstrated. She wanted to flung her baby down the stairs. Truly scary experience.

NGONGE   

^^ I have never been to one. I'd love to go though. Do you know of any taking place in London?

I did watch a few Egyptian ones on TV. Looks like great fun.

ps

The area of magic, possession by Jinn and witchcraft is back again to being big business in Somalia. Some conmen and women are making shed loads of money out of it and I am feeling left out. :(

Ibtisam   

^^^That was the thing that terrified me the most, more than anything when I was back home. I was convinced anigo shouting ahaa will return to the UK. It is crazy.

Malika   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

^^
:D:D

I have an eye for such things. Come on Dahia, confess.
:D

Ah,what an assumption there my dear Ngonge,never been to one and God forbid,I should ever contemplate going to one.

But I know of these practices and am not only against them,I denounce those practising or participating in them..is that clear enough that I dont do Zar or Saar.. :mad:

Ghanima,its depressing how Somalis have become wallahi,I hear some top sheikhs in London do not want to associate with Somalis due to their practice in shiirk...subhanaallah!

Cara.   

Ngonge, I don't go to the gym either. People hooked up to machines running in place, cycling endlessly and punching inert bags. And they are actually paying money to the establishment for these privileges!

It's precisely the same sort of crazy behavior.

Hey, speaking of charismatic churches. Have you ever come across snake handlers? Seems like they'd be right up your alley.

Apologies in advance.