Sign in to follow this  
Warmoog

Hubbly-Bubbly Smoking

Warmoog   

No offense intended to anyone in particular, but this topic is not about crack, weed, or anything remotely similar. People interested in talking about such things or luring others into them should take their disturbing suggestions and bait elsewhere. This thread was not meant to serve a sinister purpose.

Anyway, I stand corrected about the water pipe being more common among Somali women. It may have been so in the past, but apparently things have changed... at least among badeecad users outside Somalia. Judging from the responses, I'm beginning to think some of you have been indulging for quite some time. You certainly seem familiar with the device and its new accessories. Even if you are "recreational" users, exactly what draws the line between light, occasional use and serious shisha dependence?

Hayam,

Interesting perspective walaal, it makes a lot of sense. Somalis do seem much more receptive to ideas and practices from the Middle-East, more so than those from the West. An immense portion of things we consider culture or "ours" have roots in the Mid-East and were brought to Somalia by Arabs or introduced through contact with them. What worries me a little is our seemingly ready acceptance of all things Arabic, with little questioning as to whether or not they'll serve a meaningful, healthy, or even acceptable purpose... as if the fact that they originated in the Mid-East makes them a little better or somewhat holy. I now know a lot of young Somalis and men (and even Westerners) use it, but when I think of the word badeecad I still imagine a stubby, aged ayeeyo-type figure with rosary beads around her neck. When I try to think of why she used it (not why she tried it the first time but why she keep going back), I find myself doubting a possible nicotine addiction as the only factor. I think social conditioning and certain forms of ignorance had something to do with it. People of her generation (or those who began badeecad use in Somalia) would have, after all, been taught to view themselves as Arabs. Maybe puffing on a badeecad was a small attempt in the reassertion of that identity.

Originally posted by Yasmine:

Judging from the responses, I’m beginning to think some of you have been indulging for quite some time. You certainly seem familiar with the device and its new accessories. Even if you are “recreational” users, exactly what draws the line between light, occasional use and serious shisha dependence?

I'd think the amount of time spent 'smokin(for lack of a better term)' would be the indicator. And assuming that 'cause ppl know about its 'accessories' (as you refer to them,although hardly that) doesn't mean they do it...its just your assumptions & u know what they say about assume- its makes an *** of u and me...

I find myself doubting a possible nicotine addiction as the only factor

Really? got proof?

^^ Them sound like fighting words!

Originally posted by Gediid:

^^^^Get off the pipe baan ku leeyahay.Aeryn ha dhageysan tan wax eey ka waasho bey rabtaa
:D

LoL!

Gediidow, goormaad ka soo hoos baxday dhagaxaagii?

I resent the implication. Cidna ma waalo anigu, miskiinad baan ahay ma arkinoo? :D

Warmoog   

Seven of Nine,

You're absolutely right about the assumption part. Having general or even keen knowledge about water pipes doesn't necessarily indicate that one uses them.

Regarding your question, no... I don't have proof, just a hunch. I was merely speculating on some of the conditions that I think led to people's initial adoption of the badeecad in Somalia.

Sophist   

What a hideously ghastly thing Shiisha is! I hear many horrors from indulging that thing, especially tales of tapestry as far as ladies are concerned. Enticing or perhaps not. Interestingly enough, I was watching that politics show hosted by that Scottish chap Andrew, you know the one who wears the wig also is the editor of the Scotsman (and to be editor of Telegraph) and the subject was about Blair and his demonisation of the hippy Sixties. Mark Mardel (however you spell his surname), the reporter was taking the micky. He dressed and tried to speak like hippy while he was smoking away his Shiisha (without naar, as I once said, Shiisha without coal is life a boat in the desert); quite interesting it was to see Shiisha being linked with the Hippy Sixties.

Yasmin, have you dared to try the “thing†yourself? It is an acquired taste I hear. Some people are rather hooked.

Oh how shocking to hear that good old Baashi, Roula, Darman and beloved Barwaaqo are all into this. Loool…. It is an epidemic! But before you pass the Pipe and entice me, I smell a good scent of business opportunity. Imagine the potential of opening a BA (badeecad unanimous) center complete with support groups and counselors. These people need a rehab center. I am inspired. Anyone interested? I need a partner

Blessed   

Yasmine,

I don't think it's more common with women, but it's the only vice they don’t get stigmatised for.

My opinion on sheesha, it's a lovely way of spreading germs amongs friends. Saliva, anyone?

cl_lge_blu.jpggn_med_blu.jpgapple.gif

Swift-Lite-Charcoals.jpg Well for those who are interested in shiisha here are a few pointers and as Yasmin pointed lets not get off topic now and continue discussing the what shiisha is all about.

Tips for Shisha Smokers

The small, unscrewable appendage with the tiny ball bearing in it on the opposite side of the Shiisha from the hose is a release valve. (Don’t lose the ball bearing investigating it—the ball keeps air from coming in when you suck on the hose.) If your shisha gets too strong, blow through the hose and the excess smoke in the base will escape here.

It’s generally a good idea to keep your Shiisha on the floor.

Get your rubber collar wet before putting your Shiisha together or taking it apart.

Use a bit of washing up liquid [dish soap] on he big rubber fitting; after a couple of goes it becomes nice and easy to dissasemble.

It’s easier to use a few layers of masking tape around the main pipe rather than a rubber collar.

A hole-poked layer of aluminum foil over an almost full bowl of shisha means you can smoke for a long time and that you can easily knock off the old coals and add fresh hot ones.—local shisha cafe (Of course, not all of your shisha may burn up this way: a concern if you want to conserve tobacco.)

I find it extremely important to use the aluminum foil between the tobacco and the coals, else the shisha never lasts long.

Using much coal (more than three medium-sized pieces) creates more smoke, but the smoke tastes less. Using less coal creates more taste in the smoke, but less smoke, which results in one pipe lasting much longer (a couple of hours or even more). If you are hooked on the thick, smooth smoke, then use more coal; in all, you get the same amount of taste in one puff. However, if you are smoking for the taste, then use less coal, and make your tobacco last forever.

A good way to smoke pot out of your Shiisha is to smoke your shisha normally for a few minutes, then lift up the coal and sprinkle some pot “shake†into the bowl and put the coal back on.

You can put several things in the water to improve the taste or the amount of smoke the Shiisha produces. Milk will make the smoke thicker in the cost of having to wash the different components carefully after smoking. Mint leaves or slices of lemon will improve the taste of the smoke.

Squirt an orange all over a bowl of apricot shisha. Mmmm!! And I threw some cuts of the orange in the water . . . which made a very very slight difference in itself . . but seeing fruit bubble around in the jar was cool to look at, in the least.

For smoking in an open place, make a small chimney from the top of a 2 liter Coke bottle to protect the coal and put it on the ash dish.

If you break your glass Shiisha base, it doesn’t mean the Shiisha is lost. Get a plastic bottle with a wide base, cut it so the brass part fits in and it works perfectly. In some occasions, it came out better than with the glass bottle

Jaabir   

Originally posted by qori xabaalan:

Oh how shocking to hear that good old
Baashi, Roula, Darman
and beloved
Barwaaqo
are all into this. Loool….

I said i am into crack damn it.. not Shiisha :D:D

and yeah... it seems like women are enjoying Shiisha more than men.. it has been declared an epidemic in the Gulf..

1084289615814171300.jpg

1084289768524177800.jpg

smoking04.jpg

1084289768524177800.jpg

by the way.. smoking shiisha is equvilant to smoking 50 cigarettes..

Warmoog   

Sophist,

No, I’ve never tried it (and I never will). Now that you mention hippies, I recall once reading something about how shisha is becoming increasing popular among today’s pseudo-hippies, mainly college students. Something about it still appeals to the aesthetic crowd.

Darman,

I’m doubtful about that last statement of yours. I read recently that the new brands of tobacco used for shisha devices are usually made with a few ingredients: molasses, dried fruit, and tobacco… which in itself makes up about 30% of the total contents. I don’t know what smoking dried fruit will do to people in the long run, but I strongly doubt it will be worse than the ammonia, accetone, and formaldehydes in cigarettes.

Anyway, when I first heard about the shisha gaining popularity in the West, I was really surprised. Now I’m beginning to think Westerners have always had some sort of Orientalist fixation that resurfaces from time to time. Remember that popular American TV series from the 60s, I Dream of Jennie, in which the main character was a genie that would magically appear out of a bottle? Even in that whimsical storybook, Alice in Wonderland, there was a hookah-smoking caterpillar.

alice-caterpillar-sm.gif

The Caterpillar and Alice looked at each other for some time in silence: at last the Caterpillar took the hookah out of its mouth, and addressed her in a languid, sleepy voice.

"Who are you?" said the Caterpillar.