Sign in to follow this  
AminaTammy

Sambusa wrappers

Ibtisam   

There are no short cuts, you have to knead the dough for a long time, don't add the oil at the start (your blog says all the ingredients at once) once you've knead the dough with just water for about 20mins, add the oil and knead for a fruther 5mins. Let it stand for 5mins (you say 30mins in your blog, that is a very long time!)

The last tip is when you divide the dough make it really small portions, so you can roll it out really thin (otherwise it will be as fat/thick as the kimis/ sabayad)

Can I say that while doing it in stacks saves time, it won't produce the best wrap as you have to keep it thick so it does not stick together. So unless you are making mass production, roll out individually and make it as thin as possible to end up with really thin, light and fluffy wraps (it is good when you fry also as it won’t absorb the oil too much)

Hope that helps. I really like your blog, too bad I can't follow directions in cooking. redface.gif

hi Tammy. Making Sambusa wrapper from scratch is a pain in the backside. Using the method of putting it on the heat and using paste is even more perverse LoL. It is what I call 'making-work'. I've endured this method- an aunt introduced it to us and I always thought it had the reek of the Gestapo about it.

My favoured method is to roll it out thinly, slice and fill. Pinch edges to get the sambusa to close. Fry or Freeze. Go do something else. :D

-Lily-   

"1/2 cup oil" You put oil in your Samosa mix? you dont need oil.

I have always done it similar to the way you say, it doesnt take that long, usually takes about 45 mins to make enough for Afur.

I have never frozen, if I dont have time I dont do it, people tend to forget there ARE a million other things to eat. We make once/twice during the week and in the weekend. It's not healthy consumption for 30 days straight.

Dabshid, dhuuni waaxid!

I use oil, it gives it the crispness but not that much. Enough to get the mix slightly crumbly, then pour in the water. Freezing in bulk is a good option. Once you're in the swing of a sambusa session, it's less time consuming to make batches for future use as well than make fresh batches from scratch in the future.

Ibtisam   

^^YOu add oil BEFORe water?? That is big yaab for me!!!

I fold them and then freez them too. You really don't want to be making sambuus three/ four times a week. We just make 30 one sunday, and then make another bulk once that is finished. But maalinta waad gooisa, big time wey kuu da matey. LOL

^LOL. That used to be one day's intake in my household at one point! *Shivers @ the work involved*. Like a new mother you forget the pain when you take that first bite lool. Nothing like home-made Sambusa.

Yes, water after. And NO KNEADING other than helping to make it a dough. Let it rest for a while instead.

Ibtisam   

Sheh saan whoo kneading baa muuruqyo ii soo baaxan, now your saying I could've just let it rest and put my feet up?? Shiid house! I feel abused redface.gif

Originally posted by *Ibtisam:

There are no short cuts, you have to knead the dough for a long time, don't add the oil at the start (your blog says all the ingredients at once) once you've knead the dough with just water for about 20mins, add the oil and knead for a fruther 5mins. Let it stand for 5mins (you say 30mins in your blog, that is a very long time!)

The last tip is when you divide the dough make it really small portions, so you can roll it out really thin (otherwise it will be as fat/thick as the kimis/ sabayad)

Can I say that while doing it in stacks saves time, it won't produce the best wrap as you have to keep it thick so it does not stick together. So unless you are making mass production, roll out individually and make it as thin as possible to end up with really thin, light and fluffy wraps (it is good when you fry also as it won’t absorb the oil too much)

Hope that helps. I really like your blog, too bad I can't follow directions in cooking.
redface.gif

Indhoos   

I am quite lazy and use Egg Roll Wrap, when I don't have time, It produces samosa, but nowhere near the quality of the home made version...

I prefer using the spring roll wraps which are square/rectangular in shape. I slice it into 4 strips( depends on the width) then for every strip I make a sambosa out of it. Sometimes I may have to use 2 strips if the wrap is very thin.

Personally I like the spring roll wraps because they are more thinner and crisper.And well brought up using them. Easier and you can wrap up 100-200 sambosa at a go n store them in the freezer without the shoulder and back ache of having to roll the sambusa dough.