Sign in to follow this  
Paragon

Somalia Campaign (resources for a PR campaign)

Paragon   

^^SomaliEconomist, don't worry, we have no reason to fail. And thanks for suggesting this thread to be made a sticky. I think that would be great.

Ibtisam   

This is the edited version of what i sent to the BBC

To whom it may concern

Firstly I would like to thank you for the few articles I have seen on your website regarding the current conflict in Somalia. As you may be aware over past month, local officials and activists have estimated that nearly 1,500 people have died in fighting between the US.-backed Ethiopian-Somali government and Islamists in Mogadishu.

Aid agencies have sounded the alarm over an exodus of 321,000 refugees from Mogadishu, and there have been appeals for calm from the United Nations and the Arab League, yet I have yet to see any of this covered by the BBC, as a regular reader of your website and someone who makes an effort to watch you news reports, I have not seen events of such magnitude totally ignored before. I would like to know why the massacres and the village clearances have been ignored or deemed not news worthy? Are some lifes more important than others?

I understand that Mogadishu is currently too dangerous for most Western journalists and cameramen so that news normal comes through locals filing to international agencies, however it is still your responsibility as a news agent to report the images that have shocked our conscience (these images seem to be widely available on blogs / forums) of corpses on the street, shattered buildings, wounded babies, refugees under trees, hospital corridors full of blood and screams.

The lack of media reporting and the exclusion of the conflict from the media agenda has allowed political actors to remain silent over the atrocities that is being committed.

I could go on, but I hope the above gives you a flavour of what most moderate, middle class, educated people in Britain think and believe, not just as a Somali but as a British citizen. I would expect the BBC which is supposedly independent to use its best efforts to never intentional ignore events just because other news agents have not picked up on it, but rather to be on the forefront of those that are first to bring the necessary information.

I recognise that no news organisation is infallible and genuine mistakes can happen and some small events can be over looked, but I am particularly concerned that despite the fighting intensifying and escalating in the last few weeks I still have not seen sufficient coverage, and the little you have is out dated and at times inaccurate.

I would like to request that measures are taken to ensure there is sufficient information regarding the conflict and the suffering of the civilians in particular is highlighted fully. I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience, preferably via email
at

I think the Stats are wrong now and it needs polishing up big time ( i was just mad when i wrote that last week)They sent me a respons are well, and asked me to make comments on their website regarding the conflict, but i can't say i've seen much change.

Ibtisam   

^^Yes but everyone has to change it a little and correct the english as well while you are at it! personalise it a bit is what i mean.

Below is the response i got from the BBC last week:

Dear ......

Thank you for your e-mail. I note that you consider that the BBC

bias.

With regards to our articles we have tried our best to explain how the current situation started and has since developed and given air-time to representatives from across the political spectrum. However equal representation is not always possible or practical within individual programmes and account also needs to be taken of the way a subject is covered over a period of time. Individual reports may give more time to one particular incident, but we regularly try to report the suffering felt. Not every television or radio piece can include all aspects of the conflict, but this does not constitute bias or negligence. Perfect balance is difficult to achieve on every single occasion but overall it is a more achievable goal. Please take time to write you comments regard the conflict on our website and express your opinion, you can also send your own articles via e-mail and we publish selections.

Nevertheless, please be assured that I have included your comments in

the daily audience log. This internal document is made available to the

BBC News team and senior BBC management.

Thank you for taking the time to contact BBC Information and express

your opinions.

Regards

Anne Lavan

BBC Information

she sounds like a computer :rolleyes:

Ms DD   

Thanks Paragon and Xanthus. Lets outline what a letter to these media outlets would entail.

Is the main body of the letter be the lack of coverage? Or the so-called warlord who is the president and puppet to Ethio's regime and the US..

I personally would mention the 2 but I dont want to come accross as someone is mucaarad and baised instead of genuine protestor against the puppet govt.

Ibtisam   

^^I think Lack of coverage is the problem, anything else is really asking them to take sides.

Maybe we should bully NGong or Xiin or Bashii Or Odweyne to write one their lenghty posh dosh letters. Otherwise i could re draft mine if no one else wants to.

Ibtisam   

OKay no one will read an essay, we do not need any longer than a page (they could do it in their sleep, where are these people i speak of any way!, show yourself would ya, and pray speak! or rather offer!) smile.gif

Paragon   

Xanthus, I will post also, the best way of getting messages across to those concerned. Insha-Allah. We need 101 Advocacy and Lobying basic skills before we assert a joint effort.

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Xanthus:

^^I think Lack of coverage is the problem, anything else is really asking them to take sides.

Maybe we should bully NGong or Xiin or Bashii Or Odweyne to write one their lenghty posh dosh letters. Otherwise i could re draft mine if no one else wants to.

Yours was perfect and does not need any additions. It was simple and directly to the point (on first read). I shall read it again but doubt there is much I could add really.

Paragon   

^^NGONGE, maybe sharing with us how best you think the message can be conveyed would be nice. Should we try some play with emotions or stay firmly legalisitc? smile.gif

Ibtisam   

Ngonge... yeah right.

Yes are Paragon said do share, but please refrain from writing about cats and bees with guns, just stick to human illustrations smile.gif

Ibtisam   

^^^there is no limits to what you can do dear.

You can use [/b]www.writetothem.com [/b] to lobby your MP. Below is a quick sample letter you can use a basis for your own letter. Personalise and change this to the best of your ability to ensure it has the greatest effect.

Dear [Your MP’s Name],

I am writing to voice my concern at the ever increasing violence in Somalia which has so been conveniently ignored by world leaders and the media. Mass murder and abuse is being committed in the name of combating terrorism, while in reality it is the weak, women and children who have suffered the most. They have had their civil human rights violated, beaten, killed and chased out of their homes and villages.

As your constituent, I urge you to act and put pressure on our government and not compromise on issues which has affected so many people in you constituency. As you may be aware Tower Hamlets (your locality) is home to almost 2,000 Somali families who's view you represent. I would urge you to fulfill your responsibility and ensure that they have their voices heard via you.

I trust you would treat this issue with urgency and I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours Sincerely,

[Your Name]