Sign in to follow this  
Suldaanka

Hargeisa of 1991

2306843151_bb79eefe44.jpg

Suburban streets used as makeshift cemetery to burry the human-remains of those that died in the bombardments by the government troops.

2306843375_61f3012917.jpg

Roofless, Doorless and windowless. Looted to the foundations.

2307646180_9a4a7731ec.jpg

2307646006_e20cdfa632.jpg

The sad thing besides the many lives that perished is the fact that we wont know how far Hargeisa and its citizens could've gone had this not happened. This is another great example that we must voice our unhappiness and fight to make our country stronger. Keep in mind walaal that while many lost everything and ultimately their lives, the same can be said by other cities in Somalia today. Thus, for that alone we must fight together for a better Somalia!

Originally posted by Lois Lane:

The sad thing besides the many lives that perished is the fact that we wont know how far Hargeisa and its citizens could've gone had this not happened. This is another great example that we must voice our unhappiness and fight to make our country stronger. Keep in mind walaal that while many lost everything and ultimately their lives, the same can be said by other cities in Somalia today. Thus, for that alone we must fight together for a better Somalia!

Wanaaga aa ku hadleysid saas kusii wad, walaashiis. Soomaaliya iyada dhan ayaa dhulka taalo maanta, oo meel iyo dad badbaaday iska yar.

Horta marka Hargeisa ama Somaliland la soo qaado maxaad SOOMAALIYA OO DHAN ula soo boodaan ?

what is happening in Muqdisho, Baydhaba, Beletweyn and else where should be documented now so that it will be a good lesson for the coming generations. It is upto the Somalis from Somalia if they want to do so.

As for the topic, I see nothing wrong if a nation wants to keep their history and present it to their own people. That is what happened, and we're still recovering Alxamdulillah but it is a lesson we're to teach so that it won't repeat again.

Juje   

Originally posted by J.a.c.a.y.l.b.a.r.o:

As for the topic, I see nothing wrong if a nation wants to keep their history and present it to their own people. That is what happened, and we're still recovering Alxamdulillah but it is a lesson we're to teach so that it won't repeat again.

Indeed, very true and I could not agree with you more - do me a favour though - in the history lesson can you include the fact that Riyaale had played a notable part in this destruction. :D

Jacaylbaro,

Walaal dont take it the wrong way, I never meant to take away from the tragedies that occured in Hargeisa to my fellow Somali men and women. I for one believe that those who like me believe in a united Somalia, thus a greater Somalia, must take into consideration the suffering of all of our people in the hands of men who NEVER cared about us( the everyday citizens). I also think that its a simple sign of walaaltiniimo (sorry for the poor spelling) to sympathise with ones pain. Now my point was to simply say that we all suffered lets understand that and work together so that WE never have to suffer like this. Believe me, a blood shed in Xamaar or in Hargeisa or in Boraama to me is one too many!

Furthermore, its important indeed to keep the history alive so lessons can be learned, however it shouldnt be used as propaganda to keep us divided. Thats a sick use of information and for the memory of those that died. If propaganda is what you want ,to divide us even further, do what you need to do, but dont do it at the expense of the dearly departed. Its immoral and uncalled for!

Long Live Somalia and its people (all of its people)!!

Nephissa   

Louis, I agree w/u. Even though the thread is informative and productive, it is not necessarily treated as such anymore and just draws attention to our differences which creates more hard feelings [N. vs S.]

Almost every Somali tribe has endured hardships during/after the Barre regime, no doubt about it. I would prefer all tribes to get equal play in history books, study, recognition, etc.

Just replace "Hargeysa" with whatever city you want to fill it with. That way people can recognize whatever history they want, and life goes on. Or call it "1991"/"2006-2008"

Originally posted by J.a.c.a.y.l.b.a.r.o:

Horta marka Hargeisa ama Somaliland la soo qaado maxaad SOOMAALIYA OO DHAN ula soo boodaan ?

SOOMAALIYA deserves recognition, addeer. What's your problem with that?

Oh yes, we are not your interest group. Yes, I remember you only have one!

^^ Nephthys lool the name is Lois Lane (its a reference to a comic book while Louis is your everyday french men smile.gif ) but im glad you agree with me

My point was just that, while history is important divise comments should not be supported and even less when its at the expense of those that perished.

Lois,

Although I respect your position and your opinions, I beg to differ in your arguments about working together towards a "united" and "stronger" Somalia.

Firstly, Somalilanders no longer fall for emotional and empty rhethorical nonsense. We are talking about a people who have been through it all, been to hell and back and got the "bloody tshirt" to prove it!!!

In case you didn't get my drift. There is no one who can tell Somalilanders of what "unity" is all about. There is no other people on earth who volunteerly relinguished their own sovereignty and country in support of a cause!

Equally there is no one that can tell Somalilanders what being a zealous about the idea of "creating" a "strong" and "united" Somalia is all about. They have been through it. Hence, my dearest, what you are telling us now has already been done.

I needn't to mention to you that the Somaliland cause is a result of a"last resort" so to speak.

Nevertheless, I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but the Somalia, you are looking for which existed between 1960-1991 isn't coming back - that is the harsh truth you need to swallow. That Somalia has essentially failed.

That said, lets just make the hypotetical assumption that there is another "unity" of sort. Do you, in your right mind, think that "unity" will be of the same like the 1960s daylight robbery??

Think beyond the emotions my dearest and bring about practical argument to the table.

Suldaanka,

Likewise I also do respect your opinion but can never respect the idea of separating from Somalia.

While my comments might of seemed emotional to you, rest assured they are not based on feelings, but rather on facts.

It is a fact that the North is doing much better then say the South or rest of Somalia today, security wise, which positively affects other aspect of society namely business, education and so on.

It is also a fact that certain citizens in the North but mainly their diaspora ridden fellows believe in this fictious idea of separation. Due to the hell they have been throught while being part of Somalia, as you said.

This is where my DEAR, you tend to be emotional while ironically calling me that, indeed it is a fact that we wont argue, that the Northern citizen under the regime of a dictator became victims of nothing short of a war crime. But in that same aspect you seem to either forget or perhaps fall ill to a voluntary amnesia, because you fail to mention that many Somalis where victim to the same war crimes as the North. Does it mean that blood shed in certain regions is more precious then others? Didn't God created us the same, aren't all men equal?

Furthermore, walaal, should every part of Somalia read history the same way as you, then many parts of the North which now you and those that believe in separating, can not be part of the same sovereign seeking region.

My point here is that, while all of Somalia suffered from the dictator, some PARTS indeed suffered definetely more. The North was not alone, and if separating is the Solution then perhaps your city should separate, but not mine which is part of the north and which your so-called country claims it.

This is not coming from emotions but rather logic, because based on your views, every city in Somalia should be an indepedent country because every city suffered from another city's army or from the dictatorship. Thus I dont believe that holding grudges for grown men is using logic, rather it becomes emotional.

1. Suldaanka, you missed the plot bro. You should have shown these pictures of Hargeisa in comparison.

Yusuf Dahir Pictures

Just showing these pictures without putting them into context puts some people who have a guilty concscience to get all spooked.

2. Whether Somaliland residents took the lion's share in fighting for greater Somalia in 77, or that ethiopian MIG's bombed it is but a foot note on history. Its neither here nor there, its the past. The present and the future is what is at stake. Alxamdulilah the future is bright, as you can see from those pictures.

3. Lois, you are entitled to your opinion. Fortunately, you don't decide the fate of Somaliland, or your home city. The majority of your city, and the majority of Somaliland already decided their fate. Unfortunately for you, you are but the nation of Islam, a 5 percenter.

4. If you had any doubts, Somaliland's blood, soil, water, you name it, is more precious than anything else on this earth. If you rather live under the economic, political, educational embargo of yester years, and you can't wait to go all the way to Mogadishu for higher learning you may do so. That is your perogative, but I'll go to mogadishu as a tourist, enjoying the beach.

Spadez,

I never said I decide the fate of the people of the North of Somalia, however I say it like I see it. Take it or leave it ,its up to you.And no I do not represent the 5 percent a represent a GREAT amount of northern citizens who really dont buy this seperatist illutionist propaganda.

I also dont believe that any blood is more precious then another since Islam does not put one muslim above another, its just plain and simple commonsence and also its Islam 101. You might want to enrol.

And FYI..this country you seek isnt only Hargeisa, its funny how every time good news comes from the so-called independant country its always in Hargeisa or a handfull of cities in the north. This is just a free lesson but if you plan on dragging peaceful cities along your dream like quest for independance it would be wise to once in a while pretend that you actually care for the whole of the country, soil whatever you want to call it. Because so far, your attempts are crystal clear.

Last, about visiting Mogadishu, why be a tourist it is your country after all, perhaps I'll see you there as I never had the chance to go either.

Lois,

1. We're not discussing the world according to Lois. We're discussing the reality on the ground.

2. We're discussing only hargeisa, because this topic is only about hargeisa. If you'd like to broaden it to all of Somaliland you're going to need to open another thread. However, lest you think otherwise, every single city in Somaliland from East to West is doing much better than prior to 1991. Its just reality. Its not my opinion. So lets agree on the facts.

3. Somaliland and its people cherish their blood, their dignity, their sovereignty, their ecosystem, their land, their existence. If you do not cherish or value these things, that's up to you. It is not for me to instill it in your psyche.

4. What does Islam have to do with this? Are you preaching to the choir? Are we not all muslim? Lets not go there.

5. I don't seek anything, I already have Somaliland. smile.gif

6. I want only the best for Mogadishu, even if we don't share the same political entity. Inshallah the hard times will pass quickly, because Liido beach is calling me.

Last, you are a 5 percenter, like it or not. You and your GREAT PHANTOM numbers. smile.gif

Spadez,

Your hilarious, let me say that first.

I brought up the Hargeisa issue because its something that happens the majority of the time, whenever your wishful country comes up, Hargeisa is the onnly city praised.

Secondly, Im glad that our people cherish their country. In regards to their existence not only do I value that, I rather speak the truth. Rather then picking,choosing and fabricating historical facts to give credit to an internal hate that I have. I rather help my people advance and become part of a modern society instead of feeding them separatist lies which in return will divide them and make them weaker.

About the islam point, you went there I simply replied to your comment about the North's blood being more precious then others. In that regards, it contradicts our teachings as muslims.

Also, yes indeed walaal, you are seeking something, since you do NOT have a country today. In your dreams you might, in your psyche perhaps but in reality, certainly NOT!

Additionaly. im glad to hear that you wish the best to Mogadishu (you are better then some seperatist I met:)

Last, I certainly do not represent 5 percent (lol I dont even know where you got that number, perhaps its another wishful thinking of yours)

Lois,

1. Let me give you friendly advise. Don't bring other debates into the current one.

2. Focus on the topic at hand. This is only about Hargeisa.

3. Unless ofcourse you're MS CLEO, I don't know where you got hate from?

4. What history did I fabricate?

5. Hargeisa is advancing just like those pictures show. In the same context, so is the rest of Somaliland.

6. I said anything to do with Somaliland is more precious to me, and that is a fact. If you don't hold your country dear don't blame me. I'm not the one that brought ethiopians to occupy Somalia.

7. When I go to any city in Somaliland the Somaliland flag with the shahadah on top is flying high. That's what you call reality. I don't need to seek it. I have it, the rest of the world just needs to acknowledge it. Learn the difference between defacto and dejure.

8. Why would I wish anything bad for any one? Somalis in Somalia are close to me like other Muslims. Why would I want theire misfortune? See you're too busy assuming, that you lose yourself. Even if you don't bleive me, how about this. Its in my interest that Somalia is stable. Who wants anarchy in their back yard???

9. Once a 5 percenter, always a 5 percenter smile.gif